The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help me, I am drowning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
In magic. The last 6 months my interest in magic has soared to new heights. I have bought tons of tricks, books, DVDs and videos. I have enough to make me busy for the next 50 years!! The problem is: IT IS TO MUCH. I practise sleights with cards and coins all the time, but to be able to really learn some tricks very well, I need to consentrate in one field I think. But, how do I choose from all the magic books, DVDs, and all the gimmicks. I need to learn 4-5 tricks very well to boost my confidence in performing.
Don`t tell me I have bought to much. I know that already. Give me an idea how I can go on from here. Should I continue practising all kind of sleights, or consentrate on learning some good routines? Should that be cards or coins? I like both ! I like working with a TT and IT. You see my problem. I like everything !!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
El Toro,
You have a very minor problem!
I'm not going to suggest any specific field for you because you have to decide that for yourself.
Maybe you're working on magic too hard.
Play with it more.
Eventually you will find a field that specifically interests you and you can concentrate on that.
One of the great benefits of the Magic Café is that it has such a wide range of interests available just for the asking.
Don't try to rush it; remember: I said "play".
It's good that you like everything; so do I and I've been in the business more than half a century (and I still haven't decided what specific field I'm interested in!)
Perhaps it won't be one field (I do kids, comedy, bizarre, stage, closeup -- just about everything except big box illusions and escapes).
That's okay, too (at least, I think so!)
The MOST important thing is that you are enjoying yourself -- and, from the sound of it, you are.
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
ElToro
Don't worry...be happy....
Seriously you sound just like myself. I did the same thing. I went crazy when I got back into magic and bought close to 100 dvd's, and videos since last November.
I would learn 15 tricks pretty well and then when working on number 16 I would forget completely how to do 1-10. It was kind of scary<Grin>
I finally realized that just because I have all the videos and dvd's doesn't mean I have to learn them right now. I just feel grateful and thankful that I have them here and available when I am ready. I have gone back and started at # 1 again and will take it nice and slow.
I never expected to get addicted to card magic and flourishes like I have.
I can now do a one handed shuffle,flipback fan,some crazy cuts, fliback vanish etc...
When the thrill wears off I will go back to the vids to learn more.
Peter is so right, just play and have fun and be grateful you could obtain such a wealth of knowledge. Time goes by so quickly and if you just work on a couple tricks each month you will be amazed how quickly you will have a tremendous amount of material.
Enjoy
Nick
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
Here's a strategy that might help (I try to do something like this):

Select one trick, one book, and one video/DVD that you are most interested in right now. Learn the trick so well that you can perform it, and do not move on to another until you've mastered this one. In the meantime, you'll have variety because of the book and video. Go through the book at your leisure, but do not rush through. As you come upon something you'd like to learn, learn it before moving on. It's hard to do, but important. Finally, watch the performances on the video and decide what you most want to learn, and focus on it.

If you want to be a little more flexible, you can feel free to peruse the book or video without spending time to learn stuff from it, since you are already learning other stuff at the same time.

The point here is that you are focusing on something specific (up to 3 things), and not too many things. At the same time, you have variety, and you can enjoy the variety of magic that you are lucky enough to have in your possession.

As far as focusing in a specific field, just go with what you most enjoy now. It doesn't have to be one thing; it can be two or three. For example, I am currently working on both cards and coins. But the point is to keep the amount of material you're working with at a given moment manageable.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
El Toro...

Put everything out of sight. Wait a few hours. Now... what is calling you. Let yourself be guided by that which wants to be sought.

I thought I would love coins, but cards beckon me more frequently.

I would love to learn IT, but it doesn't grab me as quickly as some other pursuits. I know that eventually I will heed its whispered enticements though.

Have fun... start slow... it will grow...

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Personally,

I'd start with coins. Get good. There is a lot of material and a lot of gaffs. The potential is amazing, if you have four half dollars and one gaff! Eventually try to graduate to larger coins (silver dollars), and I'd PM Mickey Silver, and ask him if he could show you a demo of what HE can do. That'll inspire you for sure!

Cards next. Not just ordinary "lose and find", but DIFFERENT stuff. Vary it, and don't get in the "pick-a-card" rut. Most people I know have been "pick-a-card"-ed to death! Real-looking magic can be done with cards...BE DIFFERENT!

Silks...the ladies LOVE silk acts. If you get good and magical with those...well, it sure does add class...

Be careful with IT...it's already suffered too much exposure...again, be different! Too many "card-around-the-body" type things (lit & unlit) are floating around the malls these days... Smile

Do you have a set of Cups & Balls? Linking Rings? Multiplying Billiard (or Golf) Balls? Sponge Balls? Mirror Glass? Great classics there!

Hope you find something you enjoy!

Doug
el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
Thank you all for all the advice. I think I will start thinking of all my magic as a treasure and not as lost money. A treasure that I will eventually be able to use. And maybee Doug, I will consentrate on coins for a while, although I am sure the deck of cards will not rest completely.
nakulshenoy
View Profile
New user
Bangalore, India
91 Posts

Profile of nakulshenoy
That's a great way to think. It is a truism too.

Just learn all that you like... These methods (and gaffs) picked up now will hold you in good stead all your performing life.

As Peter says, it may not be possible to select any one field or genre of performance so early on. Plus it may not be the right thing to do too.

Most of us dabble in all sorts of shows. It takes one a lot of time (and performances) to decide on what it is that s/he really wants to concentrate on, and make a mark in.

The last decade has been quite confusing for me too... And even today I am trying stuff out. Stick on there... Using Peter's words: Eventually you will find the way, that is right for you. Hope you have a great time mystifying people
Nakul Shenoy
The Mind Reader
www.nakulshenoy.com
Popeye
View Profile
New user
England
12 Posts

Profile of Popeye
Hi El Toro

I thought this was a great post as I'm in exactly the same position !! I've bought tons & tons of stuff over the last 8 months and find myself switching from Darryls' card videos, to David Roths' coins stuff - and then to the Raven or some other gismo I've bought.

I think the main problem is that now I've decided I want to learn magic in a serious way, I want to do it all as soon as possible and I'm putting myself under uneccessary pressure. The net result is that I can 'sort of' do loads of things very badly. I think I'm going to take Peters advice and ease up a bit, maybe try and get a short routine to the point where I can perform it with some comfort & credibility and take it from there.

Good to know that there are others in the same boat though.

Take Care

Bev
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
There isn't much I can add that hasn't been said except: pick one thing out, box up the rest and send it to me. I will send you one thing back each month.
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
I think this is one of those situations where you just have to give it time, the answer will come by itself.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
El Toro,

Man oh man what an exciting dilema. I remember that feeling. I think every lover of magic , has experienced this and is still experiencing this "phenomenon" This is the incredible mix of pleasure and pain, confusion and understanding.

Take it from Mr. Marucci and the guys, enjoy and play more. I take that you are more into cards . You seem to have identified your fav. that's good. Keep it steady with the cards and use the others (coins ,IT.TT etc...) as sort of a cross training.Benefit from them, ( misdirection and choreography etc...) then apply it to your card magic. who knows along the way you might even end up doing mentalism.

Enjoy, play, and learn. With great guidance from your friends in the Café' you'll never drown.

Peace!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
nakulshenoy
View Profile
New user
Bangalore, India
91 Posts

Profile of nakulshenoy
As many said: Take it one step at a time... or is it, one trick at a time.

Master an effect. Build your routine. perfect your act. It's all in steps and stages. Always.

As the saying goes: Just stay on in there... ;-)
Nakul Shenoy
The Mind Reader
www.nakulshenoy.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help me, I am drowning (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL