The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cassidy Fundamentals Delacroix quote (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Owen
Just reread Cassidy's Fundamentals again and there was a quote that I'd like opinions on...

"Every mentalist who has in him the creative instinct of the artist, and aims therefore at putting something of himself into his work, must of necessity be to some small extent a masochist." - Dr. Rovert Delacroix, The Mojo Mind 2nd ed (1932)

I keep rereading it. Does it mean Hard work and sacrifice at all costs will pay off? Would love others' interpretations.
Cheers!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
We'll...I don't see any reference or hint at anything "paying off" -- but I think the first part of your analysis is spot on. Hard work and sacrifice is a necessity, but also, I read into it that by putting yourself into your material, be prepared to be criticized, attacked and misunderstood as well. Expressing your creative instinct is essential in being an artist and can come with acclaim, but (especially in today's social media world) also comes with pain!
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2017, Owen wrote:
Just reread Cassidy's Fundamentals again and there was a quote that I'd like opinions on...

"Every mentalist who has in him the creative instinct of the artist, and aims therefore at putting something of himself into his work, must of necessity be to some small extent a masochist." - Dr. Rovert Delacroix, The Mojo Mind 2nd ed (1932)

I keep rereading it. Does it mean Hard work and sacrifice at all costs will pay off? Would love others' interpretations.
Cheers!

Owen, Dr, Rovert Delacriox was an alter ego creation of Bob's. He was known as Dr. Crow and there are 6 books in the series. In the style of Dr. Crow he is lamenting that anyone of any value (creative instinct of the artist) wanting to be a mentlist must be a masochist as well. Probably a reflection on the current state of mentalism and the penguin dvd watching experts he chastised here during his final years.
Owen
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Owen
Ahh ok. I never knew Dr Crow was Dr Delacroix. Thanks for the insight
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
See The Confessions of Dr. Crow Secrets Revealed (2002)
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
438 Posts

Profile of Axel
I agree with Mr. Mindbender.
If you put a piece of yourself into the things you create then it will hurt much more to be right- or wrongfully criticized.
If you're emotionally disconnected from your creation or work, if it is just a means to an end, it will hurt much less.
This is true for every art form.
All the best,
Axel
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
To rephrase.

Every artist, in putting something of himself into his work, must out of necessity be to some small extent a masochist.

This is very true. I began my education in the arts and have, my entire life, worked from the mindset of a painter and practiced in some way as an artist. You learn to be torn apart early in the arts, but the pain of that experience never goes away. You just learn to love it as well.

However, there is also an art to critique, and most people are terrible at it. Either they just say good things which is misguiding or they are too blunt with the negative which most people won’t hear. I think the important thing in this art is to give notes only when they are asked for, but when asked for to begin with what you find works, and then move honestly to constructive suggestions.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I think that one needs only to be willing to tolerate pain and not fear it rather than to actively enjoy it...
But of course the underlying point is absolutely true. You will face many pains in the act of growing as an artist. You can't grow at all unless you fail sometimes. It is through failures that some of our most important growth can come...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Owen
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Owen
That's a great way to sum it up LL. Through failure, some of the most important growth can come.
The desire to learn and grow should never end as no one is perfect. Always strive to be the best you can be - wanting the lightbulb to come on. That could only happen in the pleasure of self-denial which is the definition of masochism.
Thanks all!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cassidy Fundamentals Delacroix quote (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL