The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Passing the hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I’ve seen several different methods of making ones "pitch" for tips. I was wondering if some of you could elaborate on your techniques.

Smile
Yakworld.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
No one has any opinions here? Smile

Well this should kick start you...

I knew a street magician in San Diego who’s style was very flamboyant and comical. As he was wrapping up his set he would produce a Sylvester-the-Jester-ish hat with the clear intention of passing it around and state, "For my next trick I will make half of the crowd disappear."

I always thought it was funny especially because it fit into his performing style. But there were clearly those who were put off by it as well as other performers who scoffed at it.

Whadaya think?

Smile
Yakworld.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I'm not a 'Street performer' myself, but I'm not sure I would hold out a hat remarking that half my audience was going to leave.

While doing table hopping, the establishment has always paid me well, the same with private shows.

Having played in several bands, we always had a 'Tip' jar, which folks always seemed to fill. I think I would probably take the same route if I were to hit the streets.

Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I like the line about half the audience disappearing -- but I doubt that I would ever use it when working the street; just not my style.

In fact, I don’t even ask directly; I have a top hat with a picture of a rabbit sticking out of it holding a sign that says "Balloons Free, Donations Appreciated". (I close the magic act with balloon animals for the kids in the crowd.)

I find that one or two references to "feeding the rabbit" is enough to get the idea across to one or two people. Once they hit the hat, it usually jump-starts the crowd.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Hi all, I am a street performer, (juggler)

I have used that line and have seen it used, It can work IF done right.

Make mention of your hat early, money tricks are an obvious point to do so, then before the "big finish" make the audience disappear, the joke is then on the people who do leave, this has to be a comedy show to begin with and don’t stop after the last trick, keep joking!

Have fun, and heavy hats Smile

The Adventure cont...
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
bigjoeblue
View Profile
New user
akron ohio
82 Posts

Profile of bigjoeblue
I put up a small sign WILL WORK FOR CARDS, RABBITS, OR MONEY, THEY GET A LAUGH, YOU MAKE SOME DOUGH.

good luck, use your imagination. JOE Smile
Cliff
View Profile
New user
Warrington, England.
73 Posts

Profile of Cliff
I do not do much in the line of street magic, but I did work the 1st & 2nd Dai Vernon Street magic comp in Bludenz Austria. As I only speak English, I did the act as a mime and used 2 signs. The 1st said

"Applause Thank You" (in German) and the 2nd was a flip sign. On one side it read "Breath taking Finale, But First..." on flipping the card over it said, "Thank you" but, with pictures of credit cards, £,$, Marks, etc... As this came into veiw I would bow and remove my hat. This was dropped on the floor as were the 2 spinning plates I had used in the act and I then set about getting the fire clubs ready. As I was getting set, people would drop the cash in as something to do whilst they waited for the climax of the act. Smile

All the best

Cliff
All the best

Cliff
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
That’s pretty good. Seems important to make the hat passing part of the act, integrated. That way it doesn’t come off so much as intrusive, it’s just part of the act. Smile

Matt
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Know your Audience and Know Yourself.

First let me say that I don't do street magic for pure entertainment, (And I don't take up collections) I do it as a tool for Christian Evangelism. But as a Salesman of more than 30 years, I read the people in crowds pretty effectively. And it would be my guess that some audiences will feel downright obligated to leave, and will proceed to do so, if you suggest that half of them are about to leave.

On the other hand, it would seem that if you make the statement (which I think is pretty bold, and I admire boldness) in some context of performing that will work for your style and personality, it can help punctuate your performance and give them time to think about how much they want to drop, as you complete the act.

I think I would also agree with the concept that I think some others here are saying, in that you put the expectation of a reward for your performance out front early - a sign or a hat with a sign, etc.

And that way, you can work the crowd (condition them) toward the hat or open guitar case, etc, throughout the performance. Once again, based on your style, and I think Street Magician’s are a hardy breed, you can be as subtle or as bold as fits you.

Or so it seems to me... Smile

BroDavid

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I used to work in front of a theater. I’d set a dilapidated top hat out on the table and tape a dollar bill to it, hanging just over the brim. People got the idea. Sometimes I tried the old

"WILL WORK FOR TIPS" sign too.

If they just know they can tip, they usually do. If they don’t you can always turn them into something unpleasant (like a gameshow host).

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
piccard
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of piccard
Smile I use to have a sign... I don't use signs anymore.. They are just one more thing to keep up with.. anyway the sign read...

"TIPPING--IS NOT JUST A CITY IN CHINA"

It would get a laugh sometimes... But they got the message... The fact is if you can get them to watch and you do a good show... Most of the people will give something...

You will always have runners... Never worry about them... they are just no class scum... The good people will always give...
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
HI. I'm getting in a little late on the "how to pass the hat" topic. When I was doing some busking on the causeway in front of the Empress Hotel in Victoria, B.C. about 10 years ago, I would finish my act by saying,"And now the part of the show you've all been waiting for, PASSING THE HAT. And as a demonstration of my SINCERITY OF PURPOSE, I'll begin the collection myself."

I would take out my wallet, pull out a bill and toss it into the hat. Then I'd pass the hat around.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Now, that's a good line, Haole!

Personally, I'm against any restrictions or heavy-handedness regarding the hat.

(Sure, it's probably cost me money -- a lot -- but that's just my style.)

I was doing a three-day fair last summer and a number of performers had signs with a picture of a quarter under a red circle with a diagonal bar: i.e., no quarters (start tips at a buck, is what they are saying).

To me, this is the wrong way to go.

There were a lot of families at this weekend fest and the kids wanted to be part of the fun, too.

But small kids don't have a couple of bucks, usually, and the parent maybe can't afford to give each kid a buck or two to put in the hat of every performer they see.

By restricting the amount, these performers were cutting themselves off from part of the crowd and, more importantly, cutting part of the crowd off from the show.

That's just bad! Bad theatre, bad street magic, bad business.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
I supported myself doing street theater in Europe for three years. At the end of my act I would take off my hat and announce, "Now is the moment of group participation. We accept all currencies, foreign and domestic, and master card and visa with two pieces of identification. If you have any suggestions, just write them on the back of a twenty franc note." It was all said very tongue in cheek with a big smile. It worked well for me.

Bob Taxin
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Part of being a good magician is knowing what works well for you. If you have a hard time with that....then....

I think the "...For my next trick I will make half of the crowd disappear..." is a great line.

I have seen it used in New Orleans on the street and laughed. I mean, if your show is simply NOT GOOD then half the crowd would already be gone anyway. If your show was good then most of the audience will respect your comment and probably fill the hat.

John Cesta
carsonsweet
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of carsonsweet
I use a self-entertaining "tip jar" when working parties or streets. It's a plastic novelty cookie jar that cackles when you open it and says "That tickles, please stop" etc...

I have seen people put more money in just to make it laugh again, or go tell their wives to put in a dollar just to see them startled.

If I absolutely know that I have just completely blown the audience away with an effect, I will pull a fiver out of my pocket, feign surprise at my success, and say something like "Damn, that was so good I'm gonna tip myself!" It's a little forward, but used right after you've created a super-wow reaction it works GREAT.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I used poems at one time, this is one I put together a long time ago:

It's time to turn my hat inside out
but I won't scream and I won't shout
if you folks enjoyed the show

please stick a couple of bucks in my old chapeau

For I've traveled the world from pole to pole
working for silver and working for gold
But nothing makes me feel alive
like an "attaboy" and a crumpled five.

May God bless and keep you folks, for he knows I can't afford to.

Recited with good humor and tongue in cheek it works surprisingly well.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I found two tips that added money to the hat. First, you should always anounce that you are going to be asking for money, before you actually do. I'd do it by saying, "If I am successful with this amazing feet, you will all be screaming, cheering, and clapping wildly ... reaching for your wallets." Then there is a pregnant pause as the laughter ensues.

Then at the end, I ask politely, "if you appreciated the show, please show your appreciation." At that point move yourself out into the audience and walk amongst them. Don't wait for them to come to you. Smile
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Glenn
View Profile
New user
Seaford, Sussex, UK
80 Posts

Profile of Glenn
A line I have used is,
"If you have enjoyed the show please don't throw your money because of the children in the audience - they have very quick hands and get it all before I do"
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Hey everyone!

I've jumped in kinda late... But I wanted to ask a question! I noticed that Mr. Ace Starry said to walk into the crowd with your hat. Mr. Ace, is this the way to go? I'm kinda nervous about my first time on the street, which is coming up soon, but should I bite the bullet and walk into that huge crowd that my show's gonna draw and take the hat around sorta like a collection plate?
wooooeeeeee, I'm nervous!

*shaking knees*

Well... If it's the best thang to do, I'll do it!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Passing the hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL