The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Light and Heavy Chest Gospel routine/patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: I am doing a program next month for a large senior living complex where I have been several times previously already this year. So I will be trying out a new Gospel routine using a "Light and Heavy Chest". This trick just seems to be an absolute "natural" illustration for discussing about Jesus carrying our burdens/lightening our load/comforting us.

I will post my finalized routine in a few weeks for anyone who may be interested in it. It will follow the above theme for sure.

tbaer has previously posted his similar kids routine using a "gravity box"- much appreciated.

When I viewed this trick (using a cardboard box) performed earlier in 2017 on Britain's Got Talent- it reminded me how that version or a similar "light and heavy" effect could be used for reinforcing the Biblical teaching on His care and continuing comfort for us, lifting our burdens, His yoke being easy, etc..
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I like this premise!
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
MagicBus, near the end of my lesson when my 3 volunteers lift up the box off the table, I have to monitor this. I'm guessing most who use this type of prop won't be letting anyone do this.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I must tell you, I have the Gimpy Light/Heavy mini, purchased strictly for gospel routines, and I find it cumbersome as far as where to put it. I have since found a product that I would LLLLUVE to have now if I had the extra funds. Watch it here.
https://youtu.be/FkASoYyfMOM
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Stempleton,

The room that I teach in has a course texture floor, so placing it on the floor isn't an option. I've seen some videos of people placing a piece of plexiglass on the floor for the kids to stand on as their lifting the box, but to me, this is too suspicious looking.

That toolbox routine was very nice.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2017, tbaer wrote:
Stempleton,

The room that I teach in has a course texture floor, so placing it on the floor isn't an option. I've seen some videos of people placing a piece of plexiglass on the floor for the kids to stand on as their lifting the box, but to me, this is too suspicious looking.

That toolbox routine was very nice.

Well, then... the only other option is Jay Mattioli's "This Is Heavy"... go in half with me, and I'll use it for months that have 28 days, you can have it for the rest. Deal?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
$899.00 plus $42.00 shipping. How about we can get 10 more people to go in with us and then we each only have to pay about $78.00 and we can all share it and each of us can have it 1 month a year.
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I don't own the prop and have no idea what warnings it might come with so I might be stating the obvious! But when I've watched various performances I've always thought about the proper way to lift heavy objects, some assistants are not keeping their backs straight, and how you would need to make sure you didn't pick a spectator with any back issues. MagicBus, I also like the connection of the message with the prop! The only thing that came to mind though was that in a senior living complex you would need to select your assistants extra carefully.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Yes, will do. I have the routine almost done, but waiting for a new prop to be delivered to coordinate it with and test try it out first. Can't wait!- will post full routine here soon (no methods).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I will post my routine within seven days for what it's worth. I am using this particular Light and Heavy Chest Gospel routine for an upcoming outreach program for a very large seniors complex. As with all my posted patter suggestions, one is free to substitute/add on their own ideas, silks, props (such as a "gravity box" made by another supplier), etc.. Some of these items or similar props you may already have in your stash of magical stuff.

This trick has become one of my favorite effects, I will try to use it every chance I get in the future.

Specifically, I use myself the following items for this routine. I admit is quite costly to obtain all of these props from skratch, be sure you are in a position to use this trick repeatedly to justify the initial expense:

1. "The Mighty Mini" made by Gimpys Magic www.gimpysmagic.com Heavy duty solid box, extremely well made, sturdy. The quality of this particular prop in my opinion is top notch.
2. "Gimpy's Light and Heavy Performance Mat" www.gimpysmagic.com The instructional video link that comes with the mat is a must see. Gimpy completely explains the correct handling of this trick which is absolutely critical. I think the use of this mat adds greatly to the overall deceptiveness of the trick.
3. An 18 inch "Jesus" silk. See www.silkmagictricks.com
4. An 18 inch "Skull and Crossbones" silk. See www.silkmagictricks.com or www.laflinmagicstore.com
5. An 18 inch "New Single Hundred Dollar Bill" silk. see www.silkmagictricks.com
6. A very small stuffed or soft plastic elephant. I bought my elephant from our local "The Dollar Tree" store.
7. The portable table I use is a "Mainstays 26" Personal Table in Black Color" which I purchased at Walmart for $14.98. Using one side of this "TV tray" works just fine using Gimpys handling technique as taught on the video instructions for the "Performance Mat".
8. A paperback copy of "Praying For Your Elephant" by Adam Stadtmiller. Optional for sure, but I like showing the big lettered cover of this excellent book as part of the routine.

Many of you already know/already do a similar routine (see previous posts), but just the same it is a natural for a really encouraging Bible based message all of us can benefit from (I need to apply this Truth to my own life for sure). Smile
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Whoops, I forgot, I also place in the chest before the trick begins, a Gideons handout New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs mini-Bible (3 inches wide by 4.5 includes tall) with the silks wrapped around it. Any very small Bible will work that can fit into the chest.

Plus I put in the chest on top a "Pride and Joy" picture card (available from most magic stores like Midwest Magic) taped on to the back of a picture of my wife; and a "My Two Kids" card (two billy goats) taped on to the back of a photo of my two children (I have just two).

One can "Google" these well known sight gags (Want to see a picture of my two kids? Want to see a picture of my Pride and Joy?) for the small photos needed- which you can now print them both right off from the internet. Just Google "Pride and Joy" card and a "My Two Kids" (two billy goats) card. They also have posted pictures of three billy goats, four billy goats and one billy goat so you can vary the gag based on the number of children you want to reference.

Still playing around with the final wording of the routine, should have it posted by this weekend. This is a hoot! (for me at least). Sorry about the delay.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Another Winner Roger!
Your posts inspire me to keep being creative.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
This is the first I've heard of the the performance mat...I have had the Light/Heavy Mini from Gimpy for a number of years, but never used it because I don't have a heavy table to use it on. Are you saying this mat will allow me to perform the effect on a TV tray? (watched the demo vid, and he seems to be using it on a large table.) Curious.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: The "performance mat" I believe adds greatly to the deceptiveness of the trick in my judgment. Gimpy sells them off his website, they are also available from Penguin Magic.

I decorated the four corners of both sides of my performance mat with 4 anti-slip bathroom tub stickers (available from Bed, Bath and Beyond and many other stores). So now my mat looks more like a handmade goofy looking dining table place mat.

I then (as part of the routine) say how when I have used my Walmart plastic tv tray in the past in my living room, the top is so very slippery that I have slid off several full cans of soda off of it onto the carpet while watching tv (true story). My wife is not amused needless to say (also very true). So my long suffering wife always gives me a place mat to use (yep, it's true too) so when I eat off of or use this particular large tv tray, the placemat is good keeping the food or soda in place so it won't go easily sliding off tight onto the floor. So then using this mat as part of my routine (in my mind at least) may seem more "natural".

What is so very, very, very neat about the performance mat is it allows one to turn the light and heavy box slightly in several directions after it is "heavy". I tested it immediately on my own Walmart tv tray, it worked perfectly. I could not lift it myself.

As for having a heavy table, it is not needed when following the DVD video instructions via Gimpys link that comes with his performance mat. I test tried out his suggestions myself, it works! I don't know why I did not think of it before. Do exactly as Gimpy suggests in the instructional video that comes with the mat (this is not the same public video that Gimpy has posted on youtube to promote the product sale).

If the performer is really insecure about it, you can sneak one's foot onto the lower floor support post on the Mainstay/Walmart tv tray --- but I found out that is NOT necessary at all when using Gimpy's exact prop handling instructions/and specific instructions which are given to the spectator.

Again, it is quite an investment to get all these props, but for me it was worth it as it fits in perfectly with the Biblical encouragement I hope to do with my "seniors" programs. Routine will be posted in a few days, still deciding on which Bible verses to highlight as there are so many on this subject of Jesus making our load easier/carrying our burdens.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Thank you, Roger, as I said I already have the box, I have two of the exact tables you speak of (one of which I have covered the top with felt for an easier HH Rabbits handling) so I may see what I can do with this. Thanks for your inspiration.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Yep, Gimpy's performance mat works great, amazes even me. I can't even imagine doing this trick without this deceptive mat.

But I think the mat looks really like a dining room table or more like an ordinary coffee table place mat by adding "Bath Tub Threads" (10 pieces) for $7.99 (less any coupons you may have), "Applique Photo FIS, #4796809251" is Bed, Bath & Beyond's inventory number, distributed by www.ginsey.com. Mine is a "Fish Tub Tread" where there are 10 large beautifully colored angel fish. Peel off 8 of those onto the four corners of each side of the performance mat- it looks great! These fish tub stickers are thin plastic yet flexible, perfect for the Gimpy's mat and makes it look like it belongs on a table under the chest you are using.

I will post my Gospel routine by next Monday for sure, feel free to use it or modify it to your use. Thanks all for your interest in this, this is great fun Smile
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
My Gospel magic routine for the "Light and Heavy Chest". See prop suggestions in above posts.

Since I will be quoting Scripture out of my pocket ESV translation Bible, all verses used are from the ESV translation.

The light and heavy chest begins placed inside my regular magic stand. In it are my pocket Bible wrapped in the three silks mentioned above, a small toy elephant and the two novelty card photos (also see above posts).

This is my story/routine used below, you would modify it of course to fit your own family/friendships/stories. But you are free to use this basic overall premise if you'd like.

I personally prefer to use my own true stories, rather than made up ones (e.g. the little Michigan magician kid when doing his first "chinese sticks" routine starts out by saying: "When I was in China last week...")

I sure you all have just as many tales as I do, the point being to create a plausible premise for this "trick" to be shared in the first place.

The (my) Routine:

(Take out the Walmart tv tray, show both sides of it, and set it up: then place on it the "performance mat" after showing both sides of it as well. While doing this, the performer- referred to as "I" for simplicity from here on out says):

"Here a my favorite tv tray, I purchased it from Walmart. Maybe you have one just like it, it is very light but larger than a normal tv tray. That being said, the top of it is very slippery" (Slide your hand over the top of it). "My wife used to cringe when I set it up. I had at least three cans of soda pop slide off of it onto the carpet when I just accidentally nudged them. Sooo..., she now insists I put a place mat on the tv tray every time I use it so whatever I put on it does not come flying off of it by accident. Great idea honey for a klutz like me!"

"When my son Stephen was about in the 2nd grade, my mother, Stephen's grandmother, gave him a little cedar box that she may have purchased from an gift shop on Mackinac Island or some place like that. When you opened it, you could SMELL that great wood cedar smell. My son kept it on his dresser all the way through high school, in it he put his best baseball cards including one signed by Derek Jeter, medals he had won in various sports, school yearbook photos of his friends, and some silver dollars my own grandfather gave to me which I then gave to him. It was his own treasure box."

"There is a great verse in the Bible that says "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21). I wondered what would my own treasure box would have in it nowadays if I had one, even at my age? So I bought this (show box taken out from enclosed magic stand) from a man named Gimpy, believe it or not, this beautiful little custom made wood box that has its own brass fittings. I just love it! Gimpy makes them in his own little workshop in all different sizes, many of them much larger than this one." (Handle the box freely, then place it onto the tv stand, then rotate the box around and the mat around showing all sides of the box. Then open the top with the top facing the audience, open side facing performer).

"So, I thought I would show you what I have put in my own treasure chest- what is the most important to me. First of course, is my Pride and Joy- would you like to see a picture of it?" (Take out picture of "Pride and Joy", show it all around slowly, hopefully get a laugh). "No, of course, the most important pride and joy in my life is my wife Maggie of the last 40 years (turn the card over showing a picture of her or I will point over to her if she is at the program)- she has put up with me and has been the magic in my life since I ever first met her." (Optional, you can lift the box off the tv tray at this point and set it down again).

"Then of course, my two kids. Would you like to see a picture of them? Of course you would, what choice do you have?" (Take out the picture of the box of the two billy goats, moving the box around again, then slow the picture slowly all around for the audience to see, hopefully getting a chuckle.). "Sorry about that, I could'nt resist that one either". (I turn the card over, showing a picture of my two children). "These are my two real kids, Emily and Stephen, who are all grown up and married now. No grand goats, I mean kids, yet!" (I then lift the box off the tv tray to my hand nonchalantly, see this on Gimpy's instruction video link).

(Reach toward the Testament wrapped in the threes silks in the Light and Heavy Chest, then make the box heavy while taking out the Bible and silks, then twist the box around on the mat as allowed- even though the box is already "heavy" at that point. Then take out the elephant and put it on the tv tray also, showing it without comment or mentioning: "An elephant, ok..." Really is a neat feature to show the box moving once again as if the box is still "light" at this juncture in the routine. Practice practice practice this exact moment well to make "the move" is done as quickly, silently and deceptive as possible.)

(Unwrap the Testament from the silks, place the silks on the tv stand, show the Bible). "My most valued treasure is stored up the Truth of this book, a book which we can all treasure and study all the rest of our lives. "His Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." I have many different Bibles at home, some with very large print. This particular Testament is the English Standard Version handed out by the Gideons on college campuses- millions of these have been given out free all across the world in many languages."

"It has been wisely said to talk about your blessings more than you talk about your burdens. But if I am going to be honest with you today, I do have burdens in my treasure chest as well. They are a part of our lives, aren't they? Some of us may have health issues with diabetes or heart disease or with our hearing going bad like I do". (Show the skull and crossbones silk, put it back into the box). "I eat at Subway all the time- my wife says its the healthiest choice for me- as I have to get out of the car to go inside and get my sandwich. No drive thru!"

"Some us struggle with financial issues, I know I do, getting all the bills paid before the end of the month runs out and then getting all the taxes paid on top of that. Finances can be a burden!" (Show the hundred dollar silk, put it back into the box). Sometimes the only place I can find money is in the dictionary."

"Then there are ELEPHANTS in our lives, the elephant in the room as they say." (Show elephant). "These are the biggies we don't like to talk about- struggles with family members, or disappointments or the burden of an addiction or failing or hurt we ourselves may have caused. Or my not doing what I know God wants me to do." (Put the elephant back into the box, optional moving the box slightly at this point on the performance mat, then shut the box lid).

"Let's not kid ourselves, these burdens can weigh us down as if an elephant were sitting on our chest!" "So, with these burdens in our life treasure box, the load can be so so so heavy to even lift up on our own." "On my own, I think quite honestly my own burdens would be too much to bear." (Have an volunteer come up at this point. I usually have preselected a good spectator- see again Gimpy's suggestions on picking the right person).

To spectator: "Your back doesn't go out more than you do, does it?" "Just as an illustration, kind sir, would you like to try to carefully lift my now very very very heavy box filled with all my own burdens?" (Follow Gimpy's video link instructions that come with the performance mat- I follow all his performance suggestions exactly as to the instructions to the spectator how to try to do the lift. If you have a Gimpy version, the handle comes off first). "It's so heavy, the handle came off! I will have to glue that back on!" "Try lifting by holding the box only from its sides". "Still can't lift it?" "Wow! It's heavy, isn't it! I knew that! These burdens are really burdensome!"

"Thanks so much for trying." (Have spectator sit back down).

"NOW for the good news, the Truth of this Treasure (show Bible again). "God wants us to bring to Him our personally heavy on our hearts elephants in prayer. There is even a very encouraging book with this title" (show the "Praying For Your Elephant" book cover). "On my office wall I have this verse hanging (I may show the little art frame with the verse in it from my wall): "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7).

"God cares about us, even our health" (Read this verse from the Testament- marked with a sticker- or recite it from memory). "It says in Psalm 68 verses 19 and 20: Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation. Our God is a God of salvation, and to God, the Lord, belong deliverances from death." "We are delivered for all eternity from the skull and crossbones."

"God cares about our finances which often burden us, it says in Psalm 55 (22) to Cast your burden on the Lord (I will read this from my Testament), and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved."

"Jesus himself (show Jesus silk, place it back into the box, make the box "light" again via practice, practice, practice) said in Matthew 11 (29-30): Take My yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (slowly emphasize the last portion of this verse).

(Call up another spectator)- "With Jesus and the promises from God's Word, we are free and our burdens are lifted to serve Him every day. Could you lift up the box for me now? Try not to strain yourself... It's now easy!" "wow!"(Have the spectator sit back down).

"I showed you this little box today as an illustration of what is so very important in my own life and what matters to me the most. My guess is your box would look a lot like mine, except it might have it in a key to a familiar fishing boat or pictures of your friends, grand kids or brothers and sisters. And how Jesus cares for each and every one of us, including making all our burdens light." (Put away chest, mat and tv tray)

"Reminds me of the famous Footprints in the Sand dream story which is now printed on many cards and mugs and other framed pieces of art: When the dreamer saw himself walking with Jesus making two sets of prints in the sand together, all seemed just fine. But he noticed during the difficult times of his life, there was only one set of prints being made in the sand. The dreaming man asked Jesus why was that and Jesus replied: "My precious, precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During those times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

"I hope you can smile about this today when thinking about your own blessings is your life treasure chest, thanks for letting me share mine with you today." (You can hand out free "Footprints in the Sand" book markers if you like- available from www.CBD.com )

(End of routine)
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
My postings are long winded as you can see from the above, sorry about that.

George Verwer likes to tell this story: One time George was preaching on and on and on about the importance of funding missionaries. A man in the back held up his watch high into the air so George could see it from the pulpit. George then exclaimed: "Look everyone, there's a man in the back right there now who wants to donate his watch to missions!" Smile
IpswichRich
View Profile
New user
MA
24 Posts

Profile of IpswichRich
The sharing of your experiences of adding the performance mat with Gimpy's L/H chest makes me want delivery of mine to arrive real quickly. I did order the mat a few days ago and searched for other's feelings about it and found some terrific opinions here. Thanks magic bus, tbaer, and stempleton.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Another use of the light and heavy chest: inspired by a report aired on the CBS Morning News at 7:45AM EST 1-8-18. The story was on how kids may be coming addicted to their iphones and how a major Apple investor JANA LLC is requesting more parental controls. Mark Love is shown wih his wooden "Be Present" box where kids put their cell phones in them for non-use for awhile. He has sold more than 1,200 of them. If it is not harmful to put a cell phone in a light and heavy box (does any one know?), a routine could easily be developed on the overuse of cell phones being a weight on social interaction. Any ideas out there?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Light and Heavy Chest Gospel routine/patter (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL