The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billet Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
I have recently begun to study a lot of billet work and have begun to incorporate them into my act. What I am looking for now is different routines using billets that go beyond the normal write down the information/reveal. As an example, I really liked the effect that Docc Hilford showcased on the Faster Than A Speeding Billet video, the name of which escapes me now. I have heard that the Gary Kurtz series of books have a good bit of billet effects in them. Does anyone have any sources they can point me too? Thank you for your help...

Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
1. Sit Down
2. Kick off our shoes
3. Put on music you would like to perform to
4. Think of the reaction you desire from the audience
5. Think of the methods of BR you have leared -- passing out, collecting, answers to questions -- pre-set format stuff -- envelopes --prediction etc. etc.
6. Think thgrough your skill level and what you are tryhiont to say to ther audience through your magic and abilities.

NOW WRITE YOUR OWN UNIQUE ROUTINE.

Using other peoples routines as a start poinmt may be great -- but once you have the techniques down -- your own premise will be much more powerful than anything you can purchase. Sure you will make a flub or two --but only in gaining confidence in your own creativity will you ever be truely growing in the craft.

Otherwise Cassidy and Osterlind have some good stuff to start with...just do not copy. It is the death of creativity.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
When one starts in a new field he must copy, creativity comes later!
Whit Haydn has a very nice article he wrote here about this topic. you can find it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......7&27
we always require people to be original, if you look at most mentalism acts, they are NOT original. that is natural because there are a lot of good effects, that are good for everybody. What I agree is that one shouldn't copy the persona of another performer if it is too much different than his.

N.
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, I definitely agree that it's important to come up with unique effects or presentations at some point. Personally, reading what others have created sparks my creativity and gives me a great jumping off point.

Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
216 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Jason...

Some of the primary sources for billet routines are of course PME, Corinda and The Jinx/New Jinx... Al Mann put out quite a few monographs on billet work and MM&M has some in it too...

You might want to see if you can find a copy of C.L. Boarde's "Mainly Mental" Volume II -- this book is all about billet work including information on a variety of billets, reads, switches, uses plus a complete section with routines... I got my copy from Tannens although I don't know if they have any more (the entire C.L. Boarde line of books - Mainly Mental 1 - 3 and One-On-One Mentalism is worth having in your mentalism library -- the last 2 books are available from Paul Alberstat's "Mindguy" store)... you can always check ebay too as I've seen several copies go up for auction...

Hope this helps...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader
Õ¿Õ¬
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
Thank you for suggestions Tony. I have read One-On-One Mentalism and will definitely see if I can find volume II. If anyone knows where I can obtain a copy, please send me a PM...

Jason

Actually, I was just doing a bit of research and wanted to clarify that I believe Mainly Mental volume 1 is on billet work, while volume two is on book tests. If anyone else knows differently, please let me know...

Jason

John Carney
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I have the boarde books and I would recommend others.
Go for richard busch's books, or the new Nimrod Harel book that is coming out -if you can get a copy try OO by Bellon. buy it for whatever sum they ask for it.
N.
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
Nir,

I do have both Busch books; I have been working on a lot of his billet techniques. Now I'm looking for more routines that utilize billets, not necessarily the technique themselves. I have heard good things about OO and will definitely keep my eye out for it.

Jason

John Carney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billet Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL