The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Riana Antoinette audition (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Riana Antoinette from Indonesia elevates basic effects known to many if not most magicians to pure art due to her bizarre character and presentation.

Enjoy!


"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
Staying in character worked three common effects into a nice routine that did well with the show set-up, but transferring it to stage without cameras might be difficult.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ



C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Loved it! She created a super creepy character and stuck with it. Really creeped the judges out. Would be great for kids shows (j/k)

But I also have to wonder how does she expand her act to the stage (and from other youtube clips she does have a stage act).
I would think the audience would soon loose interest after a short while, as the character doesn’t have any depth to it. Curious to see how she follows this act. Intrigued.
Bob
Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
294 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Wow, I love how she stays in character - and concerning stage-acts I think she manages ;-):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvV1q8bVsiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiFtjBWpCVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJU42LONHg
To infinity, and beyond!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3495 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2017, chmara wrote:
Staying in character worked three common effects into a nice routine that did well with the show set-up, but transferring it to stage without cameras might be difficult.


Staying in character is extremely important in any form of acting. I hate to go to a play and everyone goes into the foyer to meet the cast afterwards; it breaks the magic spell of imagination.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I, was searching for a pic. of her Mother.
She, could be my long lost Daughter ... " Daughter of Godzilla " ! lol

Thanks for the share, innermind ! Smile

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2017, Intrepid wrote:
Loved it! She created a super creepy character and stuck with it. Really creeped the judges out. Would be great for kids shows (j/k)

But I also have to wonder how does she expand her act to the stage (and from other youtube clips she does have a stage act).
I would think the audience would soon loose interest after a short while, as the character doesn’t have any depth to it. Curious to see how she follows this act. Intrigued.


Smart observation.

No depth.

Basically a good start for her, but the audience has to get some idea, from her character, why she is what she is.

She's young (I guess), She has to expand, which she may do.

Right now, it reminds me of the outsider in high school, acting strange with no motivation, she will eventually fade into the woodwork.

But credit where credit is due, she stood up in front of a large live audience and TV cameras and didn't break character.

Good start, now build.
Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
294 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2017, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2017, Intrepid wrote:
Loved it! She created a super creepy character and stuck with it. Really creeped the judges out. Would be great for kids shows (j/k)

But I also have to wonder how does she expand her act to the stage (and from other youtube clips she does have a stage act).
I would think the audience would soon loose interest after a short while, as the character doesn’t have any depth to it. Curious to see how she follows this act. Intrigued.


Smart observation.

No depth.

Basically a good start for her, but the audience has to get some idea, from her character, why she is what she is.

She's young (I guess), She has to expand, which she may do.

Right now, it reminds me of the outsider in high school, acting strange with no motivation, she will eventually fade into the woodwork.

But credit where credit is due, she stood up in front of a large live audience and TV cameras and didn't break character.

Good start, now build.



Well, I guess it is a question of which audience she wants to reach - if she wants to reach the many than I would agree with you that more explanation is necessary.

If however her intended audience is the horror(-film)-fans, LARPers. etc. and the respective events, then there is no need for further explanation, as these people are familiar with horror- and creepy characters.

On the contary I for instance would be annoyed if she would give more explanation about her character.
To infinity, and beyond!
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
She was the runner up on The Next Mentalist in 2014 and seems to have a strong fan following in Indonesia. Will be interesting to see how she takes the lessons learned from that experience and applies it to Asia’s Got Talent.

Another youtube clip from that series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_FR_UzwdE&sns=em
Bob
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Does anyone have even a slight problem with the positioning and execution of her Haunted Key performance?
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Pepper’s Ghost? There is something you don’t see out side of Disney these days.
https://youtu.be/SiFtjBWpCVI

Would be nice if she took these abstract acts and strung them together with a story line. So far I haven’t seen that (but I also don’t understand Indonesian).
Bob
giro doro
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of giro doro
I do not know how or if I can explain my point in English. My opinion is that the character has great depth. The depth results out of that what I would call a deep correspondence of the character with the "zeitgeist". I think that my point is expressed in English with the expression that the character is "iconic". The Character is part of the contemporary picture language. In my opinion the strong reaction she causes is a result of that.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I think I'm in love, lol.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2017, Brynmore14 wrote:
I think I'm in love, lol.

Brynmore, now you got me visualing her character in a relationship and angrily pointing her finger at dirty dishes in the sink. Whatever you do, don’t p*ss her off.
Bob
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
As Bryn might agree -- Butoh inspired dead wet Japanese girl performance
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2017, Gismologic wrote:
As Bryn might agree -- Butoh inspired dead wet Japanese girl performance

Interesting, now I’m going to be binging on Butoh videos for even more creepy art performances. :-D
Bob
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2017, Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2017, Brynmore14 wrote:
I think I'm in love, lol.

Brynmore, now you got me visualing her character in a relationship and angrily pointing her finger at dirty dishes in the sink. Whatever you do, don’t p*ss her off.


Bwahahahhaa, classic image. Thanks for the chuckles.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2017, Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2017, Gismologic wrote:
As Bryn might agree -- Butoh inspired dead wet Japanese girl performance

Interesting, now I’m going to be binging on Butoh videos for even more creepy art performances. :-D


Dead wet girls are sooo Butoh! And Butoh is the bomb for playing the uncanny. There are a number of Butoh troupes doing great work, but I love Byakko Sha (White Fox Shrine). Check out this video which just reminds me so much of traditional Japanese iconography of hungry ghosts and demons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOuIA7ddJKc

J-Horror had such a rich vein of strange to mine, it should come as no surprise that it left a lasting mark on Horror movies. I even noted some very J-Horror features in the antagonist of the latest Mummy movie. The twin pupils in each eye for one, and the written characters all over her body seemed a nod to Kwaidan.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
When riding the Tokyo subway it is common to see women asleep during their commute with their long straight hair covering their face. We go back to Japan about once every two years and whenever I spot a woman like this I nudge my wife and whisper “Ringu”. She tolerates my silliness. ;-)
Bob
Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2017, Intrepid wrote:
Pepper’s Ghost? There is something you don’t see out side of Disney these days.
https://youtu.be/SiFtjBWpCVI

Would be nice if she took these abstract acts and strung them together with a story line. So far I haven’t seen that (but I also don’t understand Indonesian).


She must have some wealthy backers,with that and million dollar mystery illusion she performs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Riana Antoinette audition (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL