The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP! Making a Psychological Force. Need your smartness (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Probably Psychology
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Probably Psychology
Hello! New to the forum but not to magic. I am developing a psychological force and I am generating my own results in order to modify and improve it. I have made a survey that if it’s of no inconvenience I’d like you to take. Doing this will help me get good results so that I may just make a brand new mentalism effect! Thank you for your time

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BWCWZW7
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I don't think that is a psychological force [on the gen pop]

Maybe down the local bridge club you may get "Two of Clubs"

But even then, because of the ACOL bidding system that might suggest a strong bid [if not card] so might miss too often

I think rather than a force, you are just trying to find people's least favourite card [?]

I would guess [pure guess] clubs might be the least popular suit - but not for enough people to be a force

And then I wouldn't have a clue which card [rank]

the problem you will have is some people will have a lucky hand [poker] so 3c 6c [if that's their hand] won't be in their lamest options

And I guess using the word lame - will alienate too many potential specs as well

Unless 'lame' is some sort of NLP BS that forces people to say something - hmm
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I think Annemann said the 3 most called for cards are ace of spades queen of hearts and 4 of clubs? 202 methods of forcing.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I think Annemann said the 3 most called for cards are ace of spades queen of hearts and 4 of clubs? 202 methods of forcing.

No this is the reverse

He's not asking for someone to pick a card [so get a favourite]

He's asking which suit to you hate the most

Which card [rank] in that suit do you hate the most
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18244 Posts

Profile of IAIN
He's not saying 'hate' at all...he's saying something else...nothing to do with the emotional state of hatred...
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3275 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I'd be interested to see if there are any discernible patterns here. I kind of doubt that it'd be anything reliable enough for a PF, but I am curious.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2017, IAIN wrote:
He's not saying 'hate' at all...he's saying something else...nothing to do with the emotional state of hatred...

Sorry to be clear

I was responding to a post that suggested a force that is based on picking (in essence a favourite)

I was pointing out that was not helpful as this is the opposite

Hate, not rate, lame they are all in the ball park - I just don't use the word lame - but my point I thought was obvious
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18244 Posts

Profile of IAIN
They're not the same, therefore the context and delivery of the potential force is different...they mean entirely different things so the presentational angle and thinking behind it is different...
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
The suit in a standard deck my spectators have the most problems with is clubs. Many don't know what to call them. We know 4 will called and if 1-10 7 will be called most often. If we take away the pictures 10 and Ace thinking they to will be called that leaves 2 3 5 6 8 9. For me the middle and outsides could be take away just because. The two least called cards maybe are 3 and 8 and if I have to pick I say 3 because it's odd. So no reason 3 of clubs the least called card in the deck.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
For what it's worth, I have found that if you ask them not to choose something obvious such as "the Ace of Spades or the Queen of Hearts", I got the "Seven of Hearts" quite often. It's not guaranteed, but you'd be surprised how many times that card is named.

Since we are discussing psychological forces with playing cards, I would highly recommend Peter Turner's volume on the subject from his "Masterclass" series. Tons of food for thought in there.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
One of the old card magic books, I'm away from my library or I'd look it up, lists several of the most commonly thought of cards. It's available as a paperback. Might be Card Control.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
One of the old card magic books, I'm away from my library or I'd look it up, lists several of the most commonly thought of cards. It's available as a paperback. Might be Card Control.

This information is also in Banachek’s “Psychological Subtleties- 1”, if I am recalling correctly.

Best regards,

Sean
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
@ Tom: Buckley's?

It tastes awful, and it works. Smile
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
118 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
I'm reading Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties" at the moment and he give 3 lists of favourite cards.
1. Burling Hulls original list from his "Mental Television Thought Control"
2. Dick Barry's list (for women only) from his "Clairvoyant Cassette"
3. Banachek's own list
bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
121 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
In addition to the above book suggestions, Jon Thompson wrote the books Naked Mentalism 1,2 and 3 which are all about creating your own psychological forces and provides reference to the University of Florida's database for common word associations so you can research the topic further. Between this series and the Psychological Subtleties series, you should be able to come up with the script and the card you are going for. I have a presentation that I intentionally only want a few people to hit, like 5 - 15%. Based on the information in those books I have a force that works for me really well. The Thompson books are available through LuLu.

Also, for any doubters, I just want let you know that I have never met Mr. Thompson nor do I get any kind of kickback for the recommendations. I just bought the books on my own and really liked them.

All the best,

Brad
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3275 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
When I ask people to think of a card, 'but not the obvious ones like Ace of spades, Queen of hearts, Jack of spades' I often get a club, and usually 3,4,5, or 6.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Probably Psychology
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Probably Psychology
The 2, 3 and 4 of clubs seem to be the least favorite.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3275 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Interesting, thanks for doing that.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2140 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I wonder if it changes in how it's presented. As a vertical list, I chose the nine...my eyes were drawn to it. Not sure what I would've said had someone asked me verbally. Maybe a four because I like the number 3.
bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
121 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
Yes, it does change based on the presentation. As a visual list, you are more likely to pick items in a specific position, regardless of the items. If you say the list of items, you can alter the selection as well using alterations in tonality, pace, and emphasis. Also, giving a person a list of options will give you different results than if you give a person a category and let them name the first thing that comes to their mind in that category.

It's a very interesting rabbit hole to spend some time in.

All the best,

Brad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP! Making a Psychological Force. Need your smartness (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL