The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » More question on concealed carry (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Spain I believe has mandatory service. I can be wrong. Probably am.

I believe that Switzerland does.

I don't know about Spain.

In that respect, that is.

I've certainly heard of Spain.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Certainly my wife mentioned Spain at dinner. So I suspected you have heard of it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Apparently after 2002 Spain went to volunteer only. This would be so much easier if I just would use Google! Somehow that feels like cheating to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Certainly my wife mentioned Spain at dinner. So I suspected you have heard of it.

Yes! That's where I heard of it!

Thank you!

Smile
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of gallagher
"A Solution(!),..to the violence, crime, and poverty." (2 Likes)

November 7, 2017
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21990 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2019, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
They should re-enact the Military draft, that will solve most of youths mistakes during their upbringing, and hopefully make responsible citizens out of them.

I can't even begin to parse this. The solution to gun violence is to teach more people how to kill? NO. The military mentality is a huge part of the problem, not the solution.

FWIW, many mass shooters have had military backgrounds:
https://www.mintpressnews.com/mass-shoot....../234484/

Try again.

From your response, I can tell you have not been in the military. You don't know what you are talking about.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
We’ve all been looking forward to the implementation of complete, total martial law all across the planet.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2019, tommy wrote:
We’ve all been looking forward to the implementation of complete, total martial law all across the planet.

Worked well for North Korea.Smile
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
I can tell from that response that you have taken part in nuke practice drills.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2019, tommy wrote:
I can tell from that response that you have taken part in nuke practice drills.

From your response, I can tell you are not North Korean. You don't know what you are talking about.

:)
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
There are literally thousands of places where undisciplined youth can learn discipline and gain a sense of self-worth: schools, bands, theaters, community youth houses, The Peace Corps, building houses, church groups, magic camps, and apprenticeship programs where they can learn a trade that doesn't involve learning how to kill other people while offering themselves up as cannon fodder so that a tiny few might continue to exploit others around the globe.

It is tragic that the military mentality has now evidently so infected civilian life here, that putting high-powered weapons and training into the hands of yet more young people is even seriously considered a solution to the problem of disaffected youth, rather than a ghoulish joke. For every troubled kid that you think the military "straightens out," it leaves a legacy of PTSD and lasting negative consequences for many others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well perhaps but if the Boy Scouts of America are not issued guns then how do you expect them boys to protect themselves from the paedophile epidemic running rampant through that wonderful organization?

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Scouting has gotten more inclusive. https://www.scouting.org/
Not sure whether that will encourage more or less predation.

For folks familiar with firearms:
Is a safety class mandatory?
Is there insurance of the same sort as car users get?
Is there a separate track in practice where one learns to manage the normal reaction to doing harm to another creature?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2019, landmark wrote:
There are literally thousands of places where undisciplined youth can learn discipline and gain a sense of self-worth: schools, bands, theaters, community youth houses, The Peace Corps, building houses, church groups, magic camps, and apprenticeship programs where they can learn a trade that doesn't involve learning how to kill other people while offering themselves up as cannon fodder so that a tiny few might continue to exploit others around the globe.

It is tragic that the military mentality has now evidently so infected civilian life here, that putting high-powered weapons and training into the hands of yet more young people is even seriously considered a solution to the problem of disaffected youth, rather than a ghoulish joke. For every troubled kid that you think the military "straightens out," it leaves a legacy of PTSD and lasting negative consequences for many others.

There do seem to be better options than making them part of the military industrial war machine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
"lasting negative consequences for many others."

Yup, biggest thing I got from my military stint during Viet Nam era was a broken back from superior officer foolishness
and knowledge that most things classified as Secrets are coverups for stupidity or illegal activities.

But, I disagree somewhat with the idea that military training is "putting high powered weapons" in the hands of disaffected youth is a cause of a problem.
Eliminate the disaffected part and weapons training is not a problem. Why do we have "Troubled kids?" That is the problem to solve.

For many people, the non-weapons skills learned far exceed the weapon ones. No student loans either.

Many programs for "mandatory national service" other than military have been explored for decades. They fail because rich folks would not be able to opt out for their kids -
read "members of congress." Also, the ability to sue when Sean get a hangnail would have to be curtailed, so such ideas are killed by attorneys.

I hope landmark finds a way to champion such programs.

Please don't assume that I support the current industrial war machine mentality. I learned when not to shoot a gun. So can our kids.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
I would like get back to the concealed carry issue though ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2019, funsway wrote:

You shouldn't need to carry anything but The Word in a church.

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:

for Christians that should be enough outside of church also. Well, everyone actually.
I guess maybe "turn the other cheek" is a reload technique for an automatic rifle.

Remember the movie Cat Balou? Guy had a pistol in a carved out bible.

Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Regardless of where one stands on CC, surely "Strapping more Bubbas" isn't a reasonable answer to gun violence.

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2019, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:

for Christians that should be enough outside of church also. Well, everyone actually.
I guess maybe "turn the other cheek" is a reload technique for an automatic rifle.

Remember the movie Cat Balou? Guy had a pistol in a carved out bible.

Oh well, he was one of the good guys, so it doesn't count.

Now "Five Card Stud," there's a character you want to remember.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » More question on concealed carry (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL