The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Chinese Sticks - Cord/String? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3631 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Has anyone had experience of re-stringing a set of Chinese Sticks?? I'm wondering from your experience what product you find is best.

Blair
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7336 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would use nylon mason's line. It has to be braided not just twisted.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3631 Posts

Thanks Richard.

I actually had some in my hand yesterday, looked good, until I realised it was twisted. I'll have to look for the braided.

Blair
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21190 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Get the braded cord for making the round edge piping on throw pillows, dresses, skirts, fabric cushions on furniture. I found some at Wal-Mart years ago, but have not seen it lately. Try upholstery places, and fabric stores. I have only seen it in white. Same stuff Kovari and others use. Smooth working.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3631 Posts

Thanks Bill!

Blair
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7765 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The tassels that many makers used, were somewhat like the graduate's "mortar board tassels". They did look nice, but, I learned, early, to make my own tassels of thick YARN. --weighs much less, and, that's critical for operation, plus, it's much more visible. --use YELLOW YARN, and make the tassels LONG!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11138 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
The tassels that many makers used, were somewhat like the graduate's "mortar board tassels". They did look nice, but, I learned, early, to make my own tassels of thick YARN. --weighs much less, and, that's critical for operation, plus, it's much more visible. --use YELLOW YARN, and make the tassels LONG!

Those are great tips. Thanks, Dick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
I've been looking for some time now for a suitable cord replacement.

Braided Plumb/Maison String is a bit too stiff and thick. While it does work to a degree, I found you have to tip the sticks back way way too much.

I looked at braided curtain string but still nothing that works like my originals.

Has anyone found a suitable source and string that they have actually used and tried that works well????

Any leads greatly appreciated. Smile
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2761 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Rattail. https://www.amazon.com/jennysun2010-Qual......1J5JLM5I (available in other colors, also).
Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Thank you Jim. Luv the colors.

I see they ofer various thicknesses. Which thickness have you used???
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2761 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I used 0.6mm diameter only because that was the smallest offered at the time I ordered (about five years ago). Now I see they have all the bright colors in a 0.4mm diameter cord, so I'd start with that if I were ordering today.
Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Great, thank you very much for the info/link Jim.

Much appreciated Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Chinese Sticks - Cord/String? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL