The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Horse--Well, Not Really! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'd appreciate some advice on an idea I have.

Here's how it should look, and what the audience should expect:

A young lady rides a beautiful Arabian horse on stage and stops center stage. She turns and waves to the audience. There's a flash of light, a puff of smoke (or whatever), and . . .

(The audience should expect that the horse and rider will have vanished, but . . .)

there's the young lady, still waving at the audience. But the horse, which was bay (medium brown with dark brown mane and tail) is now white! She rides the horse off-stage.

I have an Arab mare, bay, and an Arab gelding, gray (practically white), and they're the same height and physically very similar except for the color. I'll need to get twin girls who can ride, but that shouldn't be too difficult. What I lack is a good method. I have an idea, but it'll take some work.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
If I were to do this effect I would play around with peppers ghost illusion. Depending on the exploasions and there timing this could be very effective.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
I was going to say something just like that Gracy... amazing what a good mind reader you can be at times Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
It the whole last name thing Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Precisely what I was thinking. The cabinet & glass will have to be huge, and it will be pretty angly, but if I could make it work I think it'll play amazingly well. As I said, the big advantage is that the ending will be completely unexpected.

Any carpenters out there? Do you do windows?
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
Nope Smile

But you will get it built as long as you work hard and try.
magic_george
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of magic_george
The Blue Room, or Pepper's Ghost does seem a bit impractical and expensive, have you thought of using black art and scrim? If you're playing a roadshow this might be a better solution. Lee Grable's book details the Thurston, the Blackstone and two of Grables time tested methods which might be adapted to your purpose. If you're touring, some compromise might be necessary.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm unfamiliar with scrim. Have you a suggestion where I might locate Mr. Grable's book? Thanks!
magic_george
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of magic_george
I bought mine at the recent IBM Convention. It should be available at Magic Dealers. Try Hollywood Magic. Also try Lee Jacobs in Pomroy Ohio. There are a lot of magic book dealers available through the internet. Scrim is a theatrical drop which becomes transparent when lights are lowered on the front and brought up on objects behind it. It is available through theatrical supply houses like Rose Co. in L.A. It is used for transformation effects. If all you want to do is change the color of a horse on stage, there are a number of optic possibilities.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Horse--Well, Not Really! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL