The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dancing Hankerchief History (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Hi all, I kindly ask your advice for sources (books, DVDs, lectures) on the Dancing Hankerchief. Specifically: creators, history, theory, handling, etc.

I am interested in the stage version, not the Zombie version if you get my drift.

I have a large library of illusion books but his specific effect does not seem to be written about in detail.

Thanks in advance.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
From "Cauldron Capers" in The Wizards' Journal #14, little Wiz Kid Eleazar (aka Ee-Gee-Fiki) learned and wrote as part of his research: "Anna Eva Faye is credited with having invented the dancing handkerchief as a spirit apparition for one of her séances, circa 1910. Harry Blackstone, Sr, saw one of her performances and turned the effect into one of the most popular effects of his full evening illusion show."
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The premise of the handkerchief 'dancing' as a spirit manifestation is true. the prop that Blackstone used was called the Casadega Propaganda and was named after Casadega, Florida which was the home for many spiritualists... even to this day. Harry's routine originally referenced that popular phenomenon and while it (spiritualism) means less to a contemporary audience... it is a very theatrical and delightful performance.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
JNeal,

It's my understanding that Cassadaga, New York, was the original home of all the spiritualists and the original inspiration for Blackstone's dancing handkerchief cabinet. The Cassadaga Florida spiritualists colony you mentioned came later.

Just saying.

Gerry
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Thanks guys. This is fascinating. Didn’t realize this went all the way back to the spiritualists.

Does anyone have apparatus and routine sources as well?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fungineer, you are jumping to conclusions. The story Blackstone used was just that a story, it did not mean anything else.

If you are want to obtain instructions, it has been available from Abbott's Magic since Harry Blackstone Sr. made it available.

There you can obtain the Blackstone method as well a Ralph Adams' method, using a large water bottle.

Currently, the programmable electronic version by Sean Bogunia has enhanced this effect greatly.

Sorry, I believe secrets are just that secrets, if you want any further information, you pay for it, just like schools are paid to educate you.

You have enough information to go as far as you wish. Don't be afraid to use Google
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Bill, I am fully willing to purchase books, lecture notes, etc. I’m studying the history of these effects and wish to learn more. I am not in the market to purchase the actual illusions—but thank you for that info. Again, just looking for titles and references—not overt methods here.

I’m aware of Blackstone (Sr and Jr) and have found info on those as well.

Lastly, please don’t confuse my curiosity with ignorance. You may be surprised what knowledge or backgrounds are of those you respond to. Perhaps there’s something I may have knowledge on tha could help you out someday. Helping each other—that’s the spirit of this forum, no?

Warm regards,
Tim aka Fungineer.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fungineer, you now have the full history of the Dancing Hank as it pertains to the big stage.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
New Animations - The Dancing Handkerchief Book by Mike Ching is highly recommended!

This incredibly thorough publication provides you with everything you need to know about the "Dancing Handkerchief" effect. This work includes chapters on the history of the effect, the materials required for the construction of the effect, stage craft, versions of the effect from some of the best in magic, and several "New Animations" of this magic staple.

Artists Featured Include:

- Harry Blackstone & Harry Blackstone Jr.
- Leon Mandrake
- John Calvert
- Ralph Adams
- Jeff McBride
- Charles Reynolds
- Karrel Fox
- Gary Darwin
- Harry Lovecraft
- Russel Brown
- The Great Leon

Finding a copy is a challenge...

Doug
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Thank you, Doug—this is exactly what I was looking for—I knew there had to be a book.

Thanks again!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, there was a book, it is sold out, and has been for several years. The last time Mike Chang visited the Café, he was not positive that he would reprint it, as he mentioned it is an ever expanding project. It was not clear if he was willing to sell non-bound version, as his post sort of indicated he might.

Contact Mike Chang directly was his last suggestion on the Café.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I'm so glad you brought this up. I have hopes of one day putting together a sprit cabinet type routine and had thought about dancing hank type effects and had researched the currently available effects but didn't realize the dancing hank came from that type of routine originally. I'll have to research more!
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2017, Dougini wrote:
New Animations - The Dancing Handkerchief Book by Mike Ching is highly recommended!

Finding a copy is a challenge...

Doug

Indeed.

If anyone reading this has a copy, and it’s gathering dust on your shelf, I’ve posted a “WTB” in the other book section in the Café below.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I only found one copy that may be available on Viking Magic's other store website.

https://www.upstagemagic.com/product/new......ng-hank/
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
I contacted the author, Mike Ching, and he quickly responded.

He recently sent out his last copy but still gets requests often.

He asked me to post the following on his behalf:

“ I cannot get onto MAGIC Café to post for some reason. the explanation given was that the email I had signed up with was an aol. account which they no longer accept, this happened several years ago. w0ndering if you could post somewhere that interested people can contact me directly
MikeChingMagic@Hotmail.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fungineer, you might contact Mike Ching and advixe him that several years ago, they have changed their policy of only using ISP email address to all email accounts like aol, Google, and outlook, as well as others.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I saw an intriguing version recently ; the performer had the handkerchief inside a transparent jug and at some point, walked amongst the public to better show (very close up) the little ghost Smile
It was Shawn Farquhar if I remember well.
Any info about this version ?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Yes, it's Sean's "Extreme Hanky" available through his site - https://www.ultimatemagicproductions.net......nky.html

Really fantastic trick.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Awesome !
Thank you Thomas Smile
dbaltes1520
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of dbaltes1520
I have just started looking into adding the Zombie/Dancing Hanky effect and the resources provided here really help to understand the history and different possible effects. Appreciate the research! Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dancing Hankerchief History (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL