The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading resource question (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
I am on the hunt for cold reading books to learn from. I am searching for material based on Webster's A to Z. There are two authors I heard have material like this but I am not sure what the material is exactly. If need be PM the information to me. The authors are Scryer and Finley.

Thank you for your help.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2017, Louis Gordon wrote:
I am on the hunt for cold reading books to learn from. I am searching for material based on Webster's A to Z. There are two authors I heard have material like this but I am not sure what the material is exactly. If need be PM the information to me. The authors are Scryer and Finley.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Louis

Iain Dunford has some interesting bits based on A-Z 👍🏼
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
There's a couple of essays regarding the A-to-Z method in "The Collected OORT."

"Mitt Joint Madness: A Dive into Carney Knowledge" by William Thomas, which includes a sketch of a cueing table, and "Nursery Rhymes" by Mark Sherman.

I'm not sure if Richard adapted an idea that was being used by carnies, or if carnies started using the Webster idea (probably the latter).

After you get done reading those essays, then you might find the other essays regarding cold-reading to be useful in broadening your technique.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You will find much material along these lines, including some useful freebies, in my Cold Reading Resources compendium.

The Deceptionary is also the hosting site for all of Richard Webster's writings, including all of the Neil Scryer books. Further, ten of Richard's essays can be found for free here.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
To my knowledge Jerome Finley has not specifically built on A-Z. Neal Scryer offers small variations on the core concept but nothing you couldn't do yourself.

Here is a list of the main variations around that theme :
- Ken de Courcy's Systematic Seer, the original
- Richard Webster A-Z, the classic
- Ron Martin's Ken System, building on Richard Webster
- Luke Jermay's tarot alphabet, using tarot cards
- Michael Murray's zero to ninety, using people

You might have preference for one or the other but knowing any one of those is enough.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ta looch...

I was fortunate enough to have Richard Webster and ron martin's endorsements for AEIOU (amongst others)...
https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/aeiou-......ownload/

if you're someone who is concerned about page count, I should warn you - mine is quite a slim booklet...
I've asked to be banned
Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
Thank you Nestor. That is the exact type of list I was hoping to get when I asked this. I need to get the Ken, Ron, and Michael materials now.

Doug and thank you. Your site helped me get a list for Herb Dewey materials I am starting to go through now.
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Having read the Ken, Ron, and some of the Dewey, I've gotta say that Iain's "AEIOU" would be a really logical next step. I don't know of any material that builds so strongly off the A to Z foundation.

Just my 2 cents.
Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
Ok sounds like a must read book now.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I do use the Ken system. Since I was already using the esoteric system on which it depends, it was a natural step for me. There are hints and ideas in the Practical Psychic’s Little White Book, the only systems I’ve seen actually laid out in any detail were Webster’s and Martin’s. I’ve yet to read Iain’s book.

Once you are familiar with the concepts, creating your own approach becomes fairly straightforward. However, the real skill is in relating the meanings to the person. I don’t think any book can teach this. The teacher is doing it. I find that other kinds of readings add to the ability to relate. I’m not telling you to go start reading cards, but I am suggesting that you spend as much time relating to real people as you do learning the correspondences.

Patrick
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
For what it may be worth, I'll happily add my own endorsement of Iain's aeiou book (I also recommend it in my aforementioned list of Cold Reading Resources.

In fact, it may well be the only "easy to learn" book about reading systems that I endorse.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thanks very much Doug, really appreciate it...
I've asked to be banned
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
My personal variation of the A-to-Z system is to use runic meanings (since that is a system that I'm comfortably familiar with). I have not published the method, but I'm sure most folks familiar with both systems can easily figure it out. I would wager that I'm not the only one who does this either.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Philemon, that’s the core of Ron Martin’s Ken System. The name is a nod to Ken Decourcy’s Sytematic Seer, which inspired both Martin and Webster in developing their systems.

Patrick
Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
I see the Ken de Courcy book is very hard to get. I have the Webster book already. Where can I find the Ron Martin version?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2017, Louis Gordon wrote:
I see the Ken de Courcy book is very hard to get. I have the Webster book already. Where can I find the Ron Martin version?

The Palm Reader's Notebook
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Tony is right. Ken System is a sort of bonus section in the Palm Reader's Notebook. I'll tell you now, if all you want is the psychometry, this might be a bit more expensive than you want it to be. Also, it requires you to know basic divinatory meanings for runes, as well as the phonetic sounds of them. Since I already had that tool in my box, I found this a faster way to get into psychometry than A-Z. However, if you don't already use runes, it will be a harder route to follow.

If you are or want to be a palmist, PRN is worth having anyway. In that case, the Ken system is a great bonus item.

-Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading resource question (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL