The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind - Change of mind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Morganite
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Morganite
Hello all.
I have read about Richard osterlind change of mind effect, and I think that could have some use of my act, but firstly I would like to ask a few questions about it.
1- It plays well on stage?
2- What really happens on the effect, on dvd description is a bit unclear.
3- Its possible to create the gimmick with any currency?

Many thanks to all
Miguel
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
You could create every thing you need with other currency. I assume you mean not US currency. It does have to be coins. I would suggest getting the dvd. You will get your moneys worth from the entire dvd. If not just the one effect. It is a very straight forward prediction effect. You make 3 prediction. What happens basically is you wtie down a prediction fold it throw it on the table. Spec THEN removes any coin he wishes (free choice) from his pocket. Repeat with a second spec. The third spec removes a coin from your pocket. Every prediction mathes the coins pulled out with each. It is very clean straight forward and highly effective. When the effect is finished it is automatically set to go again with no preperation.
I will not go into any details about the workings. But it is awsome. Really . The dvd will be your best bet on seeing how to make what you need and how to handle it with a bit of additional tips. Good luck.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I'll answer you're questions in the order you gave:
1)"It plays well on stage?"
Well, this would really depend on the performer and their ability to make it work on stage, but I'd think that if played correctly, it could.

2)"What really happens on the effect, on dvd description is a bit unclear."
For lack of a better description, this is "Mental Epic" without the goofy chalk board. Richard's thinking on this is ingenious (to say the least), and he even gives other routine ideas that use the same method (not the coin gimmick, though he does give another idea for that also).

3)" Its possible to create the gimmick with any currency?"
As long as it is coinage, and the coins have the year on them.

My recommendation, get the DVD's from Richard. I got them several months ago, this is probably one of the best sets that L&L has ever done.
Hope that helps.
Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Morganite
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Morganite
Well guys
:thanx:

Miguel
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I strongly recommend the Osterlind DVDs. Do yourself a favour and get the full set of all four, which is cheaper than buying them individually. If you buy just one or two, you will want all the others when you see the quality of the material and the presentation.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I second that! The DVD's are invaluable..
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
I agree with Ian. I bought #3 and now am kicking myself because I want the set. After buying the notes on his BCS, I want that dvd as well just to see his performances. I don't know that I have ever read a bad word about any of his stuff. You can't go wrong.

Bill
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Not to mention, Richard is just one heck of a nice guy!

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Just thinks for a moment...

the price is very low (to low), to obtain a lifetime of routines and tips from a real pro Smile

Highly recommend

Take care

Kuffs
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
About the Change of Mind marketed on Richard's web site:
This is not exactly the same routine as shown in the series, but a further developed and refined one.

This is not a prediction of three different coins/years, but prediction of a word, number and image.
This is very, very clever and more brilliant than the original.

Sven
Muggy
View Profile
New user
Scotland
54 Posts

Profile of Muggy
If you buy direct from http://www.osterlindmysteries.com the full set is $99. I just ordered the full set from the uk and at the current exchange rate (to pounds sterling)that's £60!!!!

Muggy
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
I got the full set for 100 clams, and if all four volumes had cost that much APIECE I'd feel like Richard Osterlind had practically given them away. Bar none, the most valuable magic/mentalism instruction I've ever purchased. Richard also frequents these boards and often responds at length (and with characteristic grace) to those with questions and comments about his work. A class act all the way.

--Mike
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
100 CLAMS?!! Here and it cost me 100 BUCKS. If I had known that clams would do I would have just gone to the beach with a shovel and a big bucket. But NOOO. Two solid months of sitting in that cold, wet tree stand from 4 AM to 3PM is what it took for me to get those DVDs, but boy are they worth it.

Sam
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've performed the routine, as seen on the DVD on stage and have the following advice.

1) Pick audience members who react. The rest of the crowd won't see a lot of magic so the spectators need to REACT!

2) Consider using a LARGE notepad with a cover instead of a small pad.

3) Make sure your audience is aware of exactly what you are doing. EXPLAIN EVERYTHING otherwise they won't know that all of your coins are different.

You can make this up in any currency but it works best if your country has different coins of different sizes and colours.

Essentially, the three SIGNED precitions of what coins will be choosen are shown to be correct.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Taking what Nicholas said a step further, check out Richard's booklet "The Modern Mindreader". He has a different version of the idea using a steno notepad instead of the little handsize one. It's still basically Mental Epic, except for stage.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-04-17 00:08, Samuel Catoe wrote:
100 CLAMS?!! Here and it cost me 100 BUCKS. If I had known that clams would do I would have just gone to the beach with a shovel and a big bucket. But NOOO. Two solid months of sitting in that cold, wet tree stand from 4 AM to 3PM is what it took for me to get those DVDs, but boy are they worth it.

Sam

I have just about used up my supply of clams (fried, stuffed and a few cherrystones for eating raw!). So I would appreciate a few more orders as my supply of seafood is exhausted.

Seriously, thank you for all the nice comments about the material. We are doing some new videos this summer and a lot of the material in the new books will be featured on them as well as a lot of older stuff that is no longer available and which has been updated.

I am leaving tomorrow for a week at a trade show, but please feel free to ask any questions about any material. When I return, I promise to sit down at the computer and try to answer them all.

We do have a few new items that will be offered soon on the website, so please keep an eye open. I will try to keep everyone updated.

As to the original questions about the Change of Mind on stage, the routine on the video that I talk about can play very strong even though it only uses a selected coin and a date. Compare this to one of Annemann's routines where you have a card selected and you DRAW a picture of the card. The person announces the card and you turn around your drawing! The impact is very strong compared to what would normally be a rather insignificant trick. You might even want to try this idea out with the Change of Mind gimmick. DRAW a picture of, say, the penny with the right date! You might be surprised to see how strong this can play.

Have a great week guys and I will be around later.

Richard
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2004-04-17 02:00, rickmagic1 wrote:
Taking what Nicholas said a step further, check out Richard's booklet "The Modern Mindreader". He has a different version of the idea using a steno notepad instead of the little handsize one. It's still basically Mental Epic, except for stage.

Rick

if anyone is interested the new impression pad "invisible assistant 1" can be used with Richard's steno esp and can eliminate the need for a stacked deck. You can get a realtime glimpse of an impression of the first selection. This means it doesn't have to be a card either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind - Change of mind (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL