The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Free Business Card Lie-detector Effect (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3238 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thanks Rich for sending me this.

It is certainly an interesting idea and, with a bit of thought, could be adapted in all sorts of ways, other than using numbers. However, I did like the routine outlined above and with the spectator saying no to each number. This is certainly the sort of effect that mystifies as well as entertains.

Thanks again for sharing

Neil
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
Presidente Prudente/SP - Brasil
108 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
I'm interested too, thank you very much!
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2017, NeilS wrote:
Thanks Rich for sending me this.

It is certainly an interesting idea and, with a bit of thought, could be adapted in all sorts of ways, other than using numbers. However, I did like the routine outlined above and with the spectator saying no to each number. This is certainly the sort of effect that mystifies as well as entertains.

Thanks again for sharing

Neil

Neil, thanks for letting me know that you found my effect "interesting." If you do some adaptations please PM about them.
-rich
JesterAndrus
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of JesterAndrus
Hi Rich,
thank you very much for sharing! I will test it tomorrow with my family and I think they will like it.

Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, Cervier wrote:
This reminds me of my routine "Entremise" I released a few years back.

Based on your routine summary and have read Rich's method I think your method is different, at least in one key aspect. This limits Rich's routine that it cannot be enhanced to 52 business cards without a huge change.

Quote:
On Nov 27, 2017, NeilS wrote:
It is certainly an interesting idea and, with a bit of thought, could be adapted in all sorts of ways, other than using numbers.

I agree in this point. You could adapt it to other themes with e.g. 5 different pictures for the price of finding out the selection "harder" but for the benefit that you could make other / more colorful revelations.

Best Regards
Jester
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I like this idea a lot. I'm a little inspired by the simplicity and how easily this can be adapted. Jester's picture idea, especially... I'm pondering a seemingly complicated but actually quite simple adaptation with pictures... I'll share when I work it out.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
false_awakening
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of false_awakening
Thanks Rich,

The simplicity is appealing.
It reminds me of another straightforward effect by Rich Ferguson (I think). That effect used words, which could be described as "specially selected" to provoke reactions which participants found difficult to hide.

Here the emphasis is different, and I kind of like the version you describe using only numbers. The "tells" method could be emphasized so that it's about trying to resisting giving unconscious signals about the lie, rather than those signals being provoked by the nature of the thoughts they are lying about.
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, false_awakening wrote:
Thanks Rich,

The simplicity is appealing.
It reminds me of another straightforward effect by Rich Ferguson (I think). That effect used words, which could be described as "specially selected" to provoke reactions which participants found difficult to hide.

Here the emphasis is different, and I kind of like the version you describe using only numbers. The "tells" method could be emphasized so that it's about trying to resisting giving unconscious signals about the lie, rather than those signals being provoked by the nature of the thoughts they are lying about.

false_awakening,
Although my use was specifically designed for my hunting buddies, the method is readily adaptable by assigning whatever to a number and use whatever reveal. For example 1="dog" 2="cat" etc.
Thanks for your feedback!
-rich
JesterAndrus
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of JesterAndrus
The test went different than expected. As the family member I tried it is not much into poker games, I changed the setting using 5 drawn images to bridge the language barrier between her and me (foreign words in her mind are too hard for me).
I'm glad I did because first thing she did was changing the setup of the cards because she misunderstood how to handle them. By describing what three of five pictures have in common and eliminating one of them as a guess, they were still impressed how close I came and thought this was the desired effect.

Next time I will use the poker lie detector theme with someone who knows card handling terms or even better demonstrate the handling once.

Jester
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Sounds interesting. I would like to read the method as well. Thanks in advance!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
This is an interesting application of this principle. I can see it being applied with various things written or printed on the cards: fears, dreams, wishes, personal life events, movies, etc. It has a wide application for various presentations.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, JesterAndrus wrote:
The test went different than expected. As the family member I tried it is not much into poker games, I changed the setting using 5 drawn images to bridge the language barrier between her and me (foreign words in her mind are too hard for me).
I'm glad I did because first thing she did was changing the setup of the cards because she misunderstood how to handle them. By describing what three of five pictures have in common and eliminating one of them as a guess, they were still impressed how close I came and thought this was the desired effect.

Next time I will use the poker lie detector theme with someone who knows card handling terms or even better demonstrate the handling once.

Jester

Jester,

Thanks for your feedback. Using images is a good adaption.
-rich
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, Greg Arce wrote:
This is an interesting application of this principle. I can see it being applied with various things written or printed on the cards: fears, dreams, wishes, personal life events, movies, etc. It has a wide application for various presentations.

Greg

Greg, thanks for the feedback and suggestions for so many adaptations. I actually started on the effect as a business card color cube effect where the subject picks her color and I go into a relevant cold reading. The handling for me at my early attempt at mentalism and the read requires more that the polygraph effect, but I'm working on it.

-rich
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2017, qualysoft wrote:
I'm interested too, thank you very much!

Qualysoft, Its in your PM. Thanks for your interest in this effect, which judging from feedback is very adaptable.
-rich
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, Carl Andrews wrote:
Sounds interesting. I would like to read the method as well. Thanks in advance!

Carl, I would rather deliver the effect to you personally in Maui Hawaii as I'm facing drab weather and the oncoming cold winter. You can send me a one way plane ticket and I let you have the effect.
In the meantime check your PM.
-rich
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Rich,
I'm interested in it. I have an idea with using it with a theme around love and deception.
- Warmly, Terrill
ceeswing
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of ceeswing
I would like to read the method as well. Thanks in advance! Regards
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, terrillific wrote:
Rich,
I'm interested in it. I have an idea with using it with a theme around love and deception.
- Warmly, Terrill

Terrill,
Check your PM. I would love to hear about your love and deception.

-rich
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2017, ceeswing wrote:
I would like to read the method as well. Thanks in advance! Regards

Thanks for your interest ceeswing. I just PMed it to you.
-rich
RichLind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of RichLind
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, false_awakening wrote:
Thanks Rich,

.... The "tells" method could be emphasized so that it's about trying to resisting giving unconscious signals about the lie, rather than those signals being provoked by the nature of the thoughts they are lying about.

My first reading of your message overlooked the above. I think your suggest will improve my presentation as was indicated with some testing on friends. THANKS!
-rich
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Thanks for sending it out. I'm working up a presentation on it to try out. I like the S...ack sequence. I just have to be careful not get any cards out of sequence. I would be interested to see if anyone does it with words.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Free Business Card Lie-detector Effect (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL