The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help With Bar Billet Center Tear (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
It's been a while since I've visited the Café. But, I'm back hoping to recover a document that I accidently lost while cleaning out my Dropbox. I've totally lost track of the originator of this version of the center tear which, if I remember correctly, had Bar Billet in the title. I would like to contact the originator to request another download as I had placed great value in that particular tear. I have had a number of visual difficulties along the way, and this was one tear that I could deal with considering this factor. I tried a search but didn't come up with anything relevant to my question. So, if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Nicholas
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1096 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Lakewood, Ohio
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Thank you very much. That was a great help!!! Having the correct title DOES result in a more satisfying search. Ha!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18346 Posts

Profile of IAIN
John died a few years ago unfortunately... and I don't think tom Jorgensen visits here anymore or what he's up to...but I'm guessing you can re-buy it still as lulu.com is automated...
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I'm guessing that's the way to go. I was shocked to find that he had died. It's amazing the bond felt towards someone I'd never met. Thanks for the help!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2116 Posts

Profile of ddyment
For what it's worth, John switched to my R2-D2 billet tear almost immediately following its publication in 2011.

In fact, John passed on an idea he used in his Barfly application for inclusion in the R2-D2 book. Alas, he is greatly missed. Smile
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Jeez...talk about poor taste. Utterly shameless.

John and I chatted regularly and whilst mentalism was our initial connection we found ourselves chatting more and more about anything but mentalism - our chat usually revolved around spirituality, health and food. Especially food.

I was driven by Doug's comment above to look back on our many facebook chats. I talk about T-Rex, R2-D2 and the debacle over Dr Bill using the nesting move for his tear. We both agreed there were too many tears our there and that whilst he said he thought R2-D2 was preferable as a generic tear, he would stick with his own tear purely because he can do it without thinking. That was in 2013, some two years after you released R2-D2. He doesn't deny he likes the tear but he makes it clear that he stuck to his own.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2116 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Perhaps that was John being John, or perhaps he later changed back for the reason claimed, but in his correspondence with me he definitely stated that he had switched to R2-D2. And, as I noted, contributed his specific Barfly handling for the book.

I am sorry that David sees my passing on of John's thinking as somehow shameless.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I don't see the need to have mentioned it Doug - it might have been less crass to have mentioned he contributed to your book but to chip in that he ditched his own tear (the subject of this thread) in favour of yours is in poor taste and, to me, comes across as a little desperate. It also struck me as incorrect based on my recollection of our regular online chats and, like I said, he indicated to me that he stuck to his own tear. Now, in his last couple of years his health was quite frail and it could be that he DID indicate to you that he was using your tear and that subsequently, due to his limitations, he reverted to his own tear. I don't doubt he once told you that he was using your tear but like I said, later on he was using his own and I just don't see why you had to insert a plug for your own work on this thread.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2116 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I guess we simply perceive this differently. I did not consider this thread an homage in John's memory as much as a search by the OP to find a tear appropriate for those with physical difficulties. As R2-D2 is demonstrably less physically demanding than the Barfly tear, I thought it appropriate to draw it to his attention, particularly as I had the honest understanding from John himself that he had made this change. Those who have the Barfly book will know that it is quite precise about the exact type of paper involved (because of this very issue), a concern not present with R2-D2.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1709 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thank you Doug.
Your input, sincerity, and knowledge base, are always welcome.
Please don't think that any one, angry and defensive, Café member speaks for the rest of us.

BTW, I am finally reading Idiopraxis, which arrived yesterday.
As with everything Doug releases, it's a treat.
(With footnotes aplenty, citing hx and sources)

Hope this post finds you well Mr. Dyment.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help With Bar Billet Center Tear (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL