The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best non gaff -3 across- effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
I need some opinions here since I want to learn one of these and don't want to mess around with too many "ok" routines.

I'm interested in opinions of three fly type routines that are purely Sleight of hand based with no gaffs.

I've purchased *but am still waiting for* sankey's "Mr. Clean across" routine. I've never seen it performed and really don't know much about it. Is this the way to go, or should I look elsehwhere. And do most of these type of routines use the goshman pinch or something similiar? I'm concerned about angles...
groovy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of groovy
You won't be disappointed with Mr Cleans Across, especially if you really want a gaff free coins across routine. It does utilise the Goshman / Tenkai Pinch which is pretty much angle free if used correctly.

You may want to check out Greg Wilson's 3/4 Across which improves slightly over Sankey's version. I mix both up as they're both so strong.

A guy called Chad who posts here has a very nice 3 Fly-esque routine / clip on the net.

I'm sure there are posts on here about the different 3 Fly routines, so use the search feature on here. Some use that little bit extra which should'nt be a real concern if you put the effort in. Plus, if you like Coins Across at the fingertips, these could be for you.

Also, Gary Kurtz has a beautiful Coins across with changing coins and a glitter finish!

Groovy
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I'm personally not a big fan of Mr. Clean or 3/4 across. I think repeating the move twice is too much. I've worked on 3/4 across to the point of perfection and still get funny looks. I guess it's not as clean as I'd like. Or maybe I'm not as slick as I think. If i'm going to utilize those moves I'll just do it once with two coins– Basically Tenkai Pennies. One more thought: As crazy as it sounds, people often guessed that I was simply stacking a quarter perfectly on top of another quarter as I pointed at it. So I tried flipping the coins over in the hand to prove they were indeeed the only one(s). That wound up looking suspicious in itself. If you're going to use this method, I think using half dollars is the way to go. They appear to your spectator to be much harder to hide. But they really aren't.

So is it just me, or are these coins across a little less than fool proof?
I'd recommend Dan Sylvester's- Sylvester Pitch version. Maybe that handling is just more my style.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have A non-gaffed 3 coins Across Posted at the coin purse! Take a Look It's free!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Thanks coinjurer..

When you say look in the coin purse, are you referring to a forum here or a site somewhere? I don't see it.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
He is referring to http://www.coinmagic.com (called the Coin Purse).
Click to visit:
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
I have had fun lately with Ammar's Incredible Coins Across. Haven't done it for too many people yet, but the production of the final coin is heads above most of what's out there right now. Smile It can be found in "The Magic of Michael Ammar" book.

Jay Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hey wert,

I just put up a video of a 3 coins across routine I have been working on my website.

It's called "Three Way Crossing". It's not in print, but figured you might want to take a look for entertainments sake. I have had fun working with it.

Dan
Click to visit:
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Quote:
On 2002-07-11 01:05, Dan Watkins wrote:
Hey wert,

I just put up a video of a 3 coins across routine I have been working on my website.Dan
Very nice, very very clean. Would I be correct is thinking that particular routine wouldn't be viable for "walk around" unless you used a topit or perhaps the "sylvester pitch"? Anyways, I hadn't been to that site before and it's darn nice! Great work!
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Sankey's Mr Clean Coins Across isn't a 3fly coins across at all but still very very nice.

I honestly dont know that much about 3fly but I know that Daryl has one of the easiest 3fly routine.
There are a lot more fingertip coins across variations out there just keep looking. Theres a routine for everyone.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Daryl's Three Fly has my vote. Easy to do, gets the job done and ends clean.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
As mentioned Jay's 'Mr Clean Coins Across' and Gregory's '3/4 Across' are KILLERS!!!!

Smile

There is nothing cleaner. If you want REAL magic, there it is!

M
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-07-11 02:02, wert wrote:
Very nice, very very clean. Would I be correct is thinking that particular routine wouldn't be viable for "walk around" unless you used a topit or perhaps the "sylvester pitch"? Anyways, I hadn't been to that site before and it's darn nice! Great work!

You don't need a topit or a pitch. I could do the exact thing wearing a swim suit with you standing right in front of me.
Click to visit:
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Dan,
It's cool that you can do it "walk-around", but the back clip you use looks a bit tough for me. Would you think that "mr. clean" would be slightly more obtainable for those without your considerable finger flinging skills? I don't normally do much coin stuff but would be willing to put in some good time to get one good "matrix" and one good "3-fly" going.

"matrix-wise" I'm working on harrises "giant killer coin and Kohlers "Two-ahead is better than one". I like both, but harrises seems much easier to perform...
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
wert,

Personally, the back clip and Tenkai pinch are for all intents and purposes pretty equal - they both have the same angle considerations, and both about the same technical ability needed.

You can use back clip/Tenkai routines only when spectators are close to you and looking down on your hands. If that qualifies in your book for walk around it is a matter of opinion.

If other people can watch you from a distance, clip routines won't work.

Dan
Click to visit:
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Hippy Torales "Winged silver returns" is in my opinion much better than all of the three coins across mentioned so far. smooth as hell, clean as a whistle with a monster kicker. No shells. It's in the third bound apocalypse. Don't tell everyone though.
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
My tenkai pinch *or goshman pinch I guess* is getting pretty good but I can only seem to do it well in one hand! Smile Works great in my right hand, but my left pinkey just doesn't want to bend that way! Do I need some special "pinky flexibility exercise"? Smile
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
practice the pinch with 2 coins..one in each hand, you just have to copy the hand that works..see what you are doing with that hand and just practice it.

I practiced with both hands at once, my right hand got it right away and my left hand just lagged a bit, it took me a while to get the grip nice n tight, but I'm there now...it's just a practice issue.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
While it demonstrates neither the skill nor the production quality of Dan Watkins' stuff, I thought the cafe guests might be entertained by my ungaffed three coin routine:

http://douglas_peters.tripod.com/whimsicalconjuror/vide.html

(Click on the "Easy Come; Easy Go" link)

The audio was removed because of all the domestic noises, but I assure you that it both looks and sounds "correct" to the "studio audience" (who examine the coins after the production).

Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best non gaff -3 across- effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL