The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Advice to learn linking Rings (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6608 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, Pete Biro wrote:
Buy my book, THE REAL SECRET OF THE CHINESE LINKING RINGS. Stevens Magic sells it. Almost every known routine included.

Please, Pete, allow me:

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/real-s......ro-book/

This IS the book! I gotta tell ya friends, if I had this book when I was performing...I did a bare bones version of Ken Brooke's routine. I like his count. But I never had the charisma I have seen from others. And ya DON'T need thousand dollar rings! Do they HAVE to ring like a bell? No. It's really the PERFORMER that rings the AUDIENCE'S bells! Watch Galina do the rings. Pure poetry! I try that? I'll end up in the hospital in traction!

Pete really spills the beans in this book. Workers note: This is an investment!

Doug
gismo
View Profile
New user
Germany
51 Posts

Profile of gismo
How about Lord of the Rings by Jim Cellini?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5696 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
All I can say is to find a routine that you'd love to perform and learn that. After performing it for real people, address those things about the routine that need fine tuning or changes. It helps to have some extra moves learned, so that you are more able to make changes.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Oh....by the way.....have I mentioned here lately that you should buy Pete's Linking Ring Book?

"Cause you SHOULD. His Book is THAT GOOD! And required reading, I think, for all Linking Ring enthusiasts.....

Pete.......send me the check later.....
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3071 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I often hear people recommend that a beginner watch a lot of routines, and take the best things from each and put together his own routine. This is terrible advice. It is like saying to someone who has never cooked, take all your favorite ingredients and make something to eat.

If you have never studied a routine and understood how it works, why one thing follows another, the build, the argument and all of that, how do you expect to create a routine?

I could never have constructed my ring routine had I not first learned and performed regularly both the Symphony of the Rings by Vernon, and Jack Miller's Five-Ring Routine. It is not just the moves. One needs to understand how each move fits into the argument of the trick and how to build the interest level of each section of the routine.

I always recommend the student study and learn routines that have been created by knowledgeable magicians. Until you have learned to entertain with the rings, how can you create your own routine? What are the criteria you would use to evaluate one routine over another? What is a good routine? What makes a weak routine?

It is important to study real routines and compare them so you can understand what makes one routine work differently from another.

I find that amateur magicians are always the first to want to take bits and pieces and put them together without understanding. Being original before you learn the craft is a mistake, in my opinion. Organized magic has done a lot to encourage "originality" over good performance. I believe magic is best learned from copying.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
713 Posts

Profile of 61magic
As always Pop's advice is spot on.
Too many "routines" are just a bunch of moves with no logical sequence.
The worst example of this thinking is the card guy who tries to put every move he has into a "routine" to impress his magic buds. No entertainment except for himself.
Don't be a "move or sleight collector" be a performer.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6608 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:

...Being original before you learn the craft is a mistake, in my opinion. Organized magic has done a lot to encourage "originality" over good performance. I believe magic is best learned from copying.

I would add, that you do not PERFORM that copied magic. It is for LEARNING. I mean, yes, try it out on a few people, but your polished act should be YOU! Your performance is honed and fine tuned. You don't have to THINK about the props. Very little chance for mistake or error. Pop Haydn has a unique insight into this craft, which I find refreshing...

Doug
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Doug, are you saying that it has to be original in order to perform it? Copperfield performs floating rose pretty much exactly as Kevin James.. other than the music I don't think he added much to that routine. And that's ok because it's a great routine and it fits what he does.

Now Darren Romeo performs the Floating Rose VERY differently from Copperfield and James. He makes it work for his style.

For me, I feel like I can, if I choose to, perform Pop Haydn's linking rings for the rest of my life. It works with my style and it is an excellent routine. (although one day I may want to learn another routine, like the Symphony, or Jack Miller, etc.) I don't think there is a need to develop my own routine to be a good performer. (Obviously this only applies to routines that you can purchase, I would never perform a routine that was not available.)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6608 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Good point Thomas! Smile
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
245 Posts

Profile of murf
While teaching magic to youngsters, I found that the Jay Marshall routine on the World's Greatest Magic Linking Rings video is a great place to start. The first few moves are very easy to learn, yet very deceptive and entertaining, so the student gets a feeling of accomplisment and, hopefully, an incentive to work on some of the more involved moves.

Murf
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3071 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I definitely believe that using published routines "as is" is okay. You don't change the words to suit your vision of Hamlet.

I think that many magicians have no idea how hard it is to make magic routines and patter. Most bad magic is "original" material put together by people who don't know what they are doing. No one would tell a beginning musician to "just make up your own songs" before the student has learned to play any other performers' songs. It is terrible, awful advice to tell someone to be original unless they have become comfortable performing decent routines by others.

There are exceptional magic "geniuses" that don't need advice or instruction, but I have nothing useful to tell them. For most of us, we must put in our time performing and learning the basics before we are ready to create something new.
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
231 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Pop Haydn is exactly correct. Let me summarize.

Learning the Linking Rings
1) Pick a routine you like. Pop Haydn's comedy routine or Dai Vernon's Symphony of the Rings are both great and both can be found on video. Do not change anything!
2) Learn the moves in the routine
3) Learn the routine
4) Practice the routine in your living room as if you are performing it to a audience. If you will use music have it playing. If there are jokes tell them.
5) One a week or so, video your performance and check your progress. This doesn't have to be fancy, a phone will do.
6) When the trick is ready, perform it for live audiences.
7) After many performances, you will get a deep understanding of the rings and now you are capable of creating your own routine (if you want)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21289 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is a routine by David Ginn.

Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Advice to learn linking Rings (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL