The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Devilry - J.K. Hartman (a Magic Portal review) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Card Devilry – J. K. Hartman
$35.00
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60662

The Hype:
J.K. Hartman is back again with 60 brand-new effects in his latest book, Card Devilry. We invite you to revel in the wicked fun and mischief of these clever effects.

Known for short, clever routines, this prolific magician has long been a mainstay in the libraries of card magicians, and this new volume should not be the exception. Hartman once again brings his signature style and clarity to new effects that you'll soon be testing on spectators. Included are sections on impromptu card magic, stacked effects, mental magic, and gaffed effects. In addition, Hartman provides new utility moves that you'll likely be incorporating into your existing routines.

So, do yourself a favor and purchase yours today, and get ready to grab a deck and immerse yourself in a new round of wickedly clever and mischievous routines from the mind of Hartman!

My Take:
The first thing I noticed when I picked up the book was the quality of the printing. Considering some of the releases in the past from Vanishing Inc., it is no surprise. When Josh Jay and Andi Gladwin put out a product, they want it to be memorable and they have done an outstanding job on this one. The cover has a feel I haven't seen before on a book and it adds class to the volume. And they have gone first class on the illustrations hiring the premier magic illustrator in the world, Tony Dunn, to provide the graphics for the book.

Card Devilry has two lists in the beginning. One of the 58 effects taught and a second that lists the different moves used and which effects utilize each. He does say that a half pass is used extensively throughout the book so if you have one you re comfortable with, you are all set. He has also done something I heartily approve of. I have read so many magic books that teach you something in one trick and expect you to keep looking back anytime it is used elsewhere in the book. J.K. says that each effect is stand alone. He will explain something again to save you digging back through the things you have already read. It makes the book a little fatter and your life a whole lot easier.

The book starts off with a bang. Imagine this. You show a deck all facing one way and set it down. You cut off half of the deck and place it face up on the other half, then place the whole deck into the box, After a quick shake the cards are dumped out. They are now in face up, face down order through the entire deck. He gives an impromptu version (which I would rate advanced) and a preset version which is well within the grasp of the average card worker.

Hartman seems to hit quite a few plots in the course of this book. From ACAAN to decks turning blank. There are five divisions in the book.

Handiworks offers some great effects that are easy to do and kill.

Heavy Mental obviously offers some mentalism effects. Bolducci offers his take on the Balducci Force.

Stacked and Stunning.- Eleven effects utilizing different stacks. Nothing impromptu here but the power of these make it all worth while taking the time to set the deck.

Gaffed by Half - One caveat here is that in order to do some of the tricks, you might have to have the cards made up. It also offers effects with standard gaffs available at most magic stores. One killer is Oddsity. Your spectator names any card (no force) . The performer locates the card and removes it form the deck. He then ribbon spreads the rest of the cards to show that they are all blank. And the spectator can go through the deck himself afterwards. I would not be surprised to see him put this out as a marketed item where he provides the special deck.

The last section is Spirited Moves where he teaches five moves, some easy, some not so much. I did pick up a new force that I will be using in this section.

All in all, this is superbly produced work that belongs on the shelf of every card magician. Like a lot of you, I have way more books than I can possibly read. We collect them because it's a sickness, right? However, this is one volume that will remain out on my desk. There may be some effects that are beyond my skill level, but there are a great number that can be accomplished with no tears. I would give this a solid recommendation. Buy it and you will not be disappointed.
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Can't say enough kind thoughts about Mr Hartman. As I mentioned on FB, I'm definitely buying my wife this for Christmas.. One thing I didn't notice in Murphy's Magic ad copy.. how many pages?
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
280 pages, 58 effects
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Let's see.. that's about 56 cents per effect.. for J.K. Hartman material.
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I made up the wild card deck. Fun trick Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Devilry - J.K. Hartman (a Magic Portal review) (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL