The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Offworld by JP Vallarino (48 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2017, CamilleMagic wrote:
What about half the deck Offworld, half the deck stripper then you can give it to shuffle,
show they are truly mixed, do the setup in 1 second thanks to the striper and go on the classic OTW

That’s very plausible. Good thinking. Perhaps do it the other way around though.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
In fact what about giving half the deck (ungimmicked) to the spec to shuffle. Then you can show that both half’s are exactly the same, red and black. Go through one card at a time, slowly.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Since the basic version of this does not really have an ending the performance must be dynamic and strong ala Greg Wilson.

Having a comedic performing style, I might do a version of this where the wife is always right the husband always wrong or the child always right the parent always wrong etc.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Think of the money you could make within the context of a gambling routine. Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, Labracabrador wrote:
So a few questions about the deck:
1) Can I freely shuffle the deck before the trick is performed?
2) And how much of the deck is spectator allowed to examine, if anything at all?

1) Why?
2) Why?

1. Because he's a magician
2. Because he's a magician
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2017, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, Labracabrador wrote:
So a few questions about the deck:
1) Can I freely shuffle the deck before the trick is performed?
2) And how much of the deck is spectator allowed to examine, if anything at all?

1) Why?
2) Why?

1. Because he's a magician
2. Because he's a magician

Unlike you.
Smile
John
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of John
I actually don't like the "face up" presentation and the "sliding" reveal of the card.

Personally I think that reveals too much and just isn't' aesthetically pleasing - to me. Someone said "has too much of a bar bet look." I agree - for my taste.

BUT twice in the video there are brief handling of the cards face down and a turn over reveal. I much prefer the look of this over the face up "sliding."

MY QUESTON IS: CAN THE ROUTINE BE DONE WITH A FACE DOWN CARD BY CARD TURN OVER REVEAL? IF "YES" CAN THE ENTIRE ROUTINE BE DONE THIS WAY?

Then, in addition, could the cards be placed face up into the spectator's hand? (i'm thinking absolutely not, of course, unless there was some kind of fool proof audience control where you knew their other hand wouldn't come up to "examine" the cards.
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
Got this yesterday....I’m on the fence with this one. I can certainly see it getting good reactions if it is performed correctly and in the right situation.....it works exactly as I thought it would. Mines going back to be exchanged due to something missing off quite a few of the cards. I think that for such a steep price for essentially a deck of cards they could have at least set the deck up, the excuse for not setting it up is quite weak because it would have been even easier to perform the optional marking if it was set up in the first place. I think the manufacture of this has been very lazy in not sending you the effect ready to go out of the box. All in all I would give this 2.5/5 would have been 4 if it came ready to go.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I agree wholeheartedly. And the price is very excessive for what you receive and I believe it will hurt sales because of that. People will just make their own deck up. I paid for it because I thought it was a brilliant idea and still think so. Great effect.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2017, John wrote:
I actually don't like the "face up" presentation and the "sliding" reveal of the card.

Personally I think that reveals too much and just isn't' aesthetically pleasing - to me. Someone said "has too much of a bar bet look." I agree - for my taste.

BUT twice in the video there are brief handling of the cards face down and a turn over reveal. I much prefer the look of this over the face up "sliding."

MY QUESTON IS: CAN THE ROUTINE BE DONE WITH A FACE DOWN CARD BY CARD TURN OVER REVEAL? IF "YES" CAN THE ENTIRE ROUTINE BE DONE THIS WAY?

Then, in addition, could the cards be placed face up into the spectator's hand? (i'm thinking absolutely not, of course, unless there was some kind of fool proof audience control where you knew their other hand wouldn't come up to "examine" the cards.

Believe me, if it works for Greg Wilson, then it works, full stop. If you’re performing this face up then it makes complete sense to handle the cards in this manner. By dealing cards across as normal you would be revealing underlying cards. That’s the reason for performing it this way. Or that’s what you inform them before you start.
Gordon Astley
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Gordon Astley
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, The Duster wrote:
And that's why we often get demo videos/trailers that don't show the effect

I would presrume you do get the deck:

Offworld (Gimmick and Online Instructions)

...You do get the decK...although without Jokers and you kinda need one for the routine demonstrated. No big deal but a shame really. If anyone comes up with another ending than ' how many reds? ' please message me. PS.I like the effect
Gordon Astley
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
"How many reds" is my favorite part
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I just received mine, or so I thought. I opened the box, opened the deck and found a Koran 101 (yes I know Bagshawe is the correct name) inside instead of the Offworld deck. Those of you that have ordered might not leave it sitting around too long before you check yours as I can't be the only one.

Robert
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
246 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
Received mine, all good.
However, I’ve re-made the deck in Phoenix cards, and taken advantage of the one way back design
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2017, TheBentos wrote:
Received mine, all good.
However, I’ve re-made the deck in Phoenix cards, and taken advantage of the one way back design

Good idea, I may do similar as well.

Robert
nukraze
View Profile
New user
NJ
68 Posts

Profile of nukraze
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2017, Robert Sixx wrote:
I just received mine, or so I thought. I opened the box, opened the deck and found a Koran 101 (yes I know Bagshawe is the correct name) inside instead of the Offworld deck. Those of you that have ordered might not leave it sitting around too long before you check yours as I can't be the only one.

Robert

I received my copy of the effect today and had the same issue upon opening the deck. Reached out to where I purchased from and hope I hear back soon. I'll probably also just make up my own deck as well.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

I really like this. OOTW is a routine I use all the time, I have multiple versions and various presentation themes for it.
But it is difficult to do walk-around and without a table. This provides a excellent solution.

Yes, with OffWorld, one can do walk-around without the need of a table. And that, IMO, is a bigger selling point for this effect.

And a suggestion:-

The 'Off-World' video teaches you how to revive the supplied deck but not how to prepare ones own deck (however that's quite understandable). To prepare one's own deck from scratch, there are quite a few booklets/videos available which teaches the perfect and correct way of applying the Formula. Check them out before you venture in this direction.

When using your own prepared deck, and for this effect to work reliably and consistently, one must ensure that the amount (quantity) of 'Formula' applied on each card is just adequate and is evenly applied. Any card(s) that has more or less coating is liable to create problems in the reveal.

And a final Tip: Try not to coat the cards exactly till midway, but keep it about 5mm short. This will help leave a 10mm gap (strip) in the middle of the cards (where the two opposite cards meet), thus keeping the two portions adequately separate & away from each other.

Sorry for being a bit cryptic.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Very good suggestions Ustaad. Thank you.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Just got mine. I can see the "gimmick". Why won't my audiences?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2017, Ross W wrote:
Just got mine. I can see the "gimmick". Why won't my audiences?

Because they’re not magicians?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Offworld by JP Vallarino (48 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL