The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Gravity puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Here is a nice easy one.
we all know that gravitational force is reduced proportional to the distance squared. (actually this is not so sure as it seems but we will leave it for another time). Therefore if you have two bodies of mass the closer they are, the bigger the gravitational force (or attraction) between the two.

try to find and example where gravity behaves differently - i.e. when the two bodies get closer, the gravitational force between them decreases!

Nir
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
try to find and example where gravity behaves differently - i.e. when the two bodies get closer, the gravitational force between them decreases!

Nir

Ugly people?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hollow spheres, one inside the other?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Jonathan you are very close...
but if you are inside a hollow sphere you wont feel any gravity at all from the outside !!!
but this is the key to the answer...

Nir
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Just for kicks, here is the actual formula:

k is a constant, m is mass, r is radius:

Gravity = (k*m1*m2)/r^2

So imagine the top is 10, and the radius is 1, you get 10, but if the radius is 2, you get 2.5 total gravity... ect ect ect.

Btw, did you know that if you took a huge mass, and put a small house sized hole in the middle, and lived in it, time would pass much slower for you than the outside world?

You could enter your "home" for 10 years and yet many thousands would have passed for the outside universe.

Just something to think about Smile
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
So the answer (or one of many)

think of a torus (a donut) and another point mass which is on the torus' axis of rotation.
when the point of mass is directly in the middle of the torus the gravitational pull it will feel will be zero (due to cancallation of the forces from both sides. when moving a bit along the axis to either side the gravitational pull will increase.

N
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I was just coming in here to say 'linking rings'. Nir seems to have it covered though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Gravity puzzle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL