The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mental Dice by Marc Antoine (178 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9..12..15..18..21..24~25~26 [Next]
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Can you use the card box to put cards in it or is it full of electronics inside?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
The card box cannot be used for cards. The reciever is quite small and could be located I believe in other items. One suggested approach is place the box in the breast pocket of a jacket or shirt for close up or walk around.

My experiences with Marc have been very good and he is very fair to deal with. If being able to track and determine three different dice with a visual cue is intriquing to you this is definitely worth a look. I understand the hesitation on the dice but my experience has been these will last a long time. I have had Marc work on another product for me in the past and he has been more than fair.

Alex mentioned the box being used to shut off the dice. This was in the first version, the electronics in the new version were upgraded and now uses a different means to switch the dice on and off.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy this just sharing some thoughts from someone that has had it for a year.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, The Duster wrote:
So you buy this and Marc replaces them for free [?]

You have to hope after three years he is still in business / has the stock [?]

So many links/websites for sellers are dead that are three years or more old [on these forums]

Seems bit crazy there is no charging unit that comes with the package [?]

Call me old fashioned but it might be a bit suspect with a micro USB port visible on the dice.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Reading the part to where you need to return them to have the batteries replaced kinda turns me off.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Yes, I hate to say it but me too. Some clarity on this would be great. Shame some kind of wireless charging device wouldn’t work.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Here are some points to consider:

1 This isn't new at all. Craig offers a multiple gesture receiver which works with more than one dice. He even has different colors you can choose from, white, black and red. I have two RDRs, one white and one black and I've used them with the gesture receiver. I've come to the conclusion that using more than one die does not advance the effect at all, it actually detracts. It becomes more of a puzzle rather than direct mind reading. Craig even suggest not to use two dice. He not only creates but he also actually performs a lot.. this is the advantage of Promystic and this contributes to the success of Promystic tools. They are made by a Performer for performers. What makes RD (real die) so useful for the working performer is its simple and direct workings. On the Promystic Facebook group there has been discussions why one die in use is the way to go. Many top guys agree to this. Just take a look at the demo video for this, the reactions are poor, if not puzzled and confused.

2. Visual display is a step backwards. Breaking eye contact with you audience and having to look down is a huge negative.

3. The idea of needing a big box to carry the dice is not practical at all. Even if you want to stroll with it you still need the large box to shut them off? I know someone who has this and he regrettably did not shut the dice of correctly. It was dead in two weeks. Consider how much time in between effects this die will not be in play. It would be hard to stop what you are doing and follow the procedure to turn them off correctly. I would say almost impossible if you are a performer. Those minutes that the dice are not turned off will add up and eat into your life of the battery. Not to mention strolling. Pocket inventory is a commodity. The PM die lasts 7-10+ years and required minimal pocket space.

4. At $425 retail, Murphy’s is buying these for about $170. I seriously doubt either Murphy’s or Mark will be replacing your die for free. If they are like PM dice you can’t just open them and replace the battery, you have to replace the entire die. I don’t think this is sustainable long term. This raises concern for me. There is no way he giving a new set when this dies.. I would want this in writing from Murphys or the guy that is making them. From what I've witness he couldn't sale these at magic live. Throwing them to a large distributor is the next thing he had do to sale them.

So for $425 you will get a copy that you can play with for a year or so if you are lucky, or you can buy a RD that has been proven to be powerful and work for 7-10+ years. And you get a receiver that works with arguably the best mentalism product line and service available anywhere.

-Justin
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I also admit I am tempted but the fact you can’t charge the dice yourself puts me off
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Justin in fairness to Marc the wood box is not needed in the routine or to turn the dice off as I stated above. I appreciate that people are put off by the fact the dice are not rechargeable... Then you should not buy it. For me it has been a great product.

For the price point the quality is very good. As mentioned earlier Marcs rising cards are a work of art he is a decent guy and makes good stuff. This is just an option, will suit some and not others.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, J M Talbot wrote:
Justin in fairness to Marc the wood box is not needed in the routine or to turn the dice off as I stated above. I appreciate that people are put off by the fact the dice are not rechargeable... Then you should not buy it. For me it has been a great product.

For the price point the quality is very good. As mentioned earlier Marcs rising cards are a work of art he is a decent guy and makes good stuff. This is just an option, will suit some and not others.

Big problem going into a big gig and not knowing if the dice will just crap out during the show. That would make anyone nervous I would think. Still no solid reports of useful life of a die.
kieronthemighty
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of kieronthemighty
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, Justin Lewis wrote:

1 This isn't new at all. Craig offers a multiple gesture receiver which works with more than one dice. He even has different colors you can choose from, white, black and red. I have two RDRs, one white and one black and I've used them with the gesture receiver. I've come to the conclusion that using more than one die does not advance the effect at all, it actually detracts. It becomes more of a puzzle rather than direct mind reading. Craig even suggest not to use two dice. He not only creates but he also actually performs a lot.. this is the advantage of Promystic and this contributes to the success of Promystic tools. They are made by a Performer for performers. What makes RD (real die) so useful for the working performer is its simple and direct workings. On the Promystic Facebook group there has been discussions why one die in use is the way to go. Many top guys agree to this. Just take a look at the demo video for this, the reactions are poor, if not puzzled and confused.

2. Visual display is a step backwards. Breaking eye contact with you audience and having to look down is a huge negative.

3. The idea of needing a big box to carry the dice is not practical at all. Even if you want to stroll with it you still need the large box to shut them off? I know someone who has this and he regrettably did not shut the dice of correctly. It was dead in two weeks. Consider how much time in between effects this die will not be in play. It would be hard to stop what you are doing and follow the procedure to turn them off correctly. I would say almost impossible if you are a performer. Those minutes that the dice are not turned off will add up and eat into your life of the battery. Not to mention strolling. Pocket inventory is a commodity. The PM die lasts 7-10+ years and required minimal pocket space.

4. At $425 retail, Murphy’s is buying these for about $170. I seriously doubt either Murphy’s or Mark will be replacing your die for free. If they are like PM dice you can’t just open them and replace the battery, you have to replace the entire die. I don’t think this is sustainable long term. This raises concern for me. There is no way he giving a new set when this dies.. I would want this in writing from Murphys or the guy that is making them. From what I've witness he couldn't sale these at magic live. Throwing them to a large distributor is the next thing he had do to sale them.

So for $425 you will get a copy that you can play with for a year or so if you are lucky, or you can buy a RD that has been proven to be powerful and work for 7-10+ years. And you get a receiver that works with arguably the best mentalism product line and service available anywhere.

-Justin

He sold out at magic live as I tried to get a copy. I also own ProMystic products the great I own a dice . But I think three dice add so much possibilities for multiple speactor interaction.
A bit of competition is healthy it keeps the technology advancing. I’m looking forward to using a display. Also one thing with the battery is the box tells you how much power is in the battery. Also it comes with a two year warranty.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, jaizon wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, J M Talbot wrote:

Big problem going into a big gig and not knowing if the dice will just crap out during the show. That would make anyone nervous I would think. Still no solid reports of useful life of a die.

Pehaps I am not considered "solid" and that is OK Smile... As I stated above have had for a year and the dice still show full charge. The receiver has a convenient charge meter built in to monitor the dice. Doesn't sound like this is a product for you Jaizon as your experience with different colored dice was not great, for me the impact has been very good.

Cheers

John
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just curious if this has a vibration as well as the visual indicator?
The visual display is very cool as a gadget but for performance I don’t care for it at all.
Plus, something else to carry and logically work into the routine.
The vibration just adds another layer of mystery also.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree with Videoman. Would be nice if vibration was an option for times you only want to use one die.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Only visual. I like vibration as well but I think that vibration would be challenging to track 3 different colored dice in real time unfortunately. Perhaps options will be made available in the future. For one die would be hard to beat the RD.
Yepski
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Yepski
So, what’s the final verdict? When the dice loses charge how do we replace / recharge? And what is the associated cost?
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
There's no vibration with this. Just a visual display in the card box or elsewhere, as far as I know.

On the instructional video, Marc says the dice will last 3-4 years. Then you return them and get new ones. I have no idea what he charges for this, if anything.

There's no "micro USB port on the dice". Seriously??

My Real Die conked out at about four years and Craig replaced it. I don't think this is much different than that.

But, I KNOW I can trust Craig to be there and do the right thing. And, it helps that he's in the US. However, Marc has been great when it comes to customer service, as well.

The card box charging takes two hours. The dice are activated easily. I think everyone should quit freaking out about this.

I don't think this is blatant rip-off of Real Die. And, I don't think the charging of the dice is a big issue.

Robert
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, kieronthemighty wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, Justin Lewis wrote:

-Justin

He sold out at magic live as I tried to get a copy. I also own ProMystic products the great I own a dice . But I think three dice add so much possibilities for multiple speactor interaction.
A bit of competition is healthy it keeps the technology advancing. I’m looking forward to using a display. Also one thing with the battery is the box tells you how much power is in the battery. Also it comes with a two year warranty.

He was thrown out at magic live. They didn't allow him to sale it... because it's too close to Craigs.
For those that are saying this is different and now are saying it would be great if it had a vibration unit, can you just agree you don't care if it's ripping of craig and you just want a cheap option?
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
They didn't allow him to "sale" it at Magic Live? That's news to me. Hmm...

Robert
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
We all love craig unparallel service and innovation. To me this is a precedent.
The reason we don't see many companies like craig's is because most companies can't even look three weeks in the future let alone ten years. Craig alway thinks of the customer first even if he looses money. If this becomes a normal thing for "fly by night" companies to come in and rip Promystic off do you really think its advantages for craig to stay in business? He is one the top electronic engineers in America and is known in the low energy Technology. Let's keep this in mind. If we value craig and want to enjoy Promystic products and service we need to take a stand. I don't think many if any can fill Craig's shoes. Let's the remember this.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, Robert M wrote:
They didn't allow him to "sale" it at Magic Live? That's news to me. Hmm...

Robert

They made him stop selling the die sometime during live.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mental Dice by Marc Antoine (178 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9..12..15..18..21..24~25~26 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL