The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Dice by Marc Antoine (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23~24~25 [Next]
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1606 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Seems sold out already...
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, Yepski wrote:
Just got a reply back from Dody Magic concerning battery life. The response stated that when the dice is not in use the dice completely disconnects from the battery,


This means that the dice needs magnetic field, like the box having neodymium magnet(s) which opens the reed relay (tiny, very reliable and cheap, hermetic relay in glass tube) inside the die and disconnects the battery. But did somebody tell that these have some newer system which doesn't need the box? If it is done by software, it doesn't disconnect the battery because the electronics need to have power to switch the die on. The current may be very small but not zero. If they use reed relay, then the current is zero.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2467 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2018, Matti Kaki wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, Yepski wrote:
Just got a reply back from Dody Magic concerning battery life. The response stated that when the dice is not in use the dice completely disconnects from the battery,


This means that the dice needs magnetic field, like the box having neodymium magnet(s) which opens the reed relay (tiny, very reliable and cheap, hermetic relay in glass tube) inside the die and disconnects the battery. But did somebody tell that these have some newer system which doesn't need the box? If it is done by software, it doesn't disconnect the battery because the electronics need to have power to switch the die on. The current may be very small but not zero. If they use reed relay, then the current is zero.



That is not correct.

You must turn the dice off after each session of use.

You can leave the box receiver on and dice on for long periods of time.

One customer left his box on all night and it was still working in the morning so I now know there is no worry the receiver will go flat after a few hours of use as long as it is fully charged.

If you turn the box off and leave the dice on the battery in the dice will run down as they will continuously search for the receiver, so the dice and box must always be on at the same time.

The box and dice will go into sleep mode to save power if not used while turned on but wake up when moved.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
This sounds like it has only software cut off which is not the best solution as it always draws current.

I would have used reed relay or mechanical on/off switch to changes the state when the dice has been affected by magnetic or has been still for a while. It can be done with pure mechanics and with electronics. If done using mechanical switch, it would be a very clever idea. Much better than the reed relay. Anyway it needs mechanical switch to turn it completely off.

If I have done this gimmick, I would have done the charging with simple wireless system like you have in phones. If you used high quality supercapacitor, this die could last for decades. There are other ways to charge (not USB) but not as reliable and convenient as wireless system.

The stress you have with the power of the die is what you really do not want. I think that this die has been made with ready available transmitter and receiver and the make perhaps has not so much electronic experiene.

[smug mode on]I am very experienced electronic maintenance engineer having 50 yrs of experience Smile and my son (magician too) is one of the most experienced Apple programmer in Finland.[smug mode off]
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2018, Saturn UK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2018, Matti Kaki wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, Yepski wrote:
Just got a reply back from Dody Magic concerning battery life. The response stated that when the dice is not in use the dice completely disconnects from the battery,


This means that the dice needs magnetic field, like the box having neodymium magnet(s) which opens the reed relay (tiny, very reliable and cheap, hermetic relay in glass tube) inside the die and disconnects the battery. But did somebody tell that these have some newer system which doesn't need the box? If it is done by software, it doesn't disconnect the battery because the electronics need to have power to switch the die on. The current may be very small but not zero. If they use reed relay, then the current is zero.



That is not correct.

You must turn the dice off after each session of use.

You can leave the box receiver on and dice on for long periods of time.

One customer left his box on all night and it was still working in the morning so I now know there is no worry the receiver will go flat after a few hours of use as long as it is fully charged.

If you turn the box off and leave the dice on the battery in the dice will run down as they will continuously search for the receiver, so the dice and box must always be on at the same time.

The box and dice will go into sleep mode to save power if not used while turned on but wake up when moved.


When I talk about box, I mean the wooden dice storage box, not the receiver.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2467 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
The wooden box is just a box.

There was no need to supply it other than it looks nice to carry the dice in.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
313 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
I just happen to have 2 ungimmicked die that look exactly like the ones with Mental Dice, but are blue and green. I don’t know if the photo attached here or not.
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
313 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
Am I correct in that this is available from Dody Magic now? Where are they located? US?
WooG
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of WooG
Yes, these are available from dody magic. I got my set directly from him. Shipping from outside of US, but no issue
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
My friend purchased this and I had the opportunity to play with it. I find the quality of the prop to be very good. The dice look very natural and is as commonly seen. It performs as it should. The props are very well designed and the quality is also very good. For the price this is a steal.

The switching 'ON' and switching 'OFF' of the dice has a set procedure which MUST be strictly followed, else the battery in the die will soon go dead. This I find to be a bit of an hassle. I wish the Dice were rechargeable thus eliminating the hassle of returning the Dice to the producer for replacement with fresh batteries. However I will wait for a rechargeable dice version as and when they are made available (if ever). But other than that, I find Mental Dice to be very well made and is much more than its asking price.

Just my personal opinion please. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
MF Tom
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of MF Tom
Hi Guys,

We have a few units available it comes with free worldwide shipping. Smile

https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products......-antoine

Best,
Tom
vsha2
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of vsha2
Fantastic explanation!
Now I won't be paranoid that I can't turn my dice/reciever off midway through my hour long shows!
If both are "on", the dice battery isn't being used!


Quote:
On Feb 24, 2018, Saturn UK wrote:
Just some feedback for you guys.

I used Mental Dice from 3pm - 7pm yesterday at a wedding, the receiver was still going strong even after this length of time so I'm confident it will hold its charge for quite some time.

I also contacted Marc about battery life and his answer was quite surprising.

Normally when something is switched on it uses power constantly but these dice don't.

He says in the instructions to ensure the dice are always turned off when the box is off or it will run the battery down. That did not quite make sense until he explained.

When connected to the receiver the dice are put to sleep and wake up when moved, the box also goes to sleep as well which I noticed yesterday, with these features it means the power is not being drained unnecessarily.

This explains why the dice battery can last so long.

If you don't turn off the dice and the box is off the dice will be constantly transmitting and run down the battery as they look for the receiver.

I hope I explained this clear enough, its a very clever feature built into this item.

If anyone runs down their dice in a few months Marc knows they have not turned off the dice properly, this is the most important thing to do with this item to ensure happy use over a long period of time.
magicvincent
View Profile
New user
Toronto
33 Posts

Profile of magicvincent
Having to replace the Dice and not be able to recharge or replace the batteries would be unacceptable to me. With my version, the battery in the Die can be replaced easily and the Die is completely examinable. Cheers!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3503 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
After two years of use my Mental Dice are still gong strong... very happy with this Smile
Ubernutz
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Ubernutz
Can you perform which hand with these?
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1305 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
No but I have a method which works really well for a which hand routine with these.

Best wishes,

Joel.

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, Ubernutz wrote:
Can you perform which hand with these?
REALWORKERS.CO.UK
TADAA.CO.UK - ASTONISHING MAGIC
Ubernutz
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Ubernutz
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, JoelDickinson wrote:
No but I have a method which works really well for a which hand routine with these.

Best wishes,

Joel.

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, Ubernutz wrote:
Can you perform which hand with these?



Have you published it? BTW, I love forseen and volition. Thanks!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
If the dice are made rechargeable I will grab a couple of sets. Is the creator listening please? Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Web site is now completely gone it seems...poof
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
MRAC
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MRAC
Just checked ... website is still there ... maybe they changed the structure so that some links don't work anymore


Quote:
On Jul 8, 2018, saysold1 wrote:
Web site is now completely gone it seems...poof
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Dice by Marc Antoine (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL