The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Haunted Box by Joao Miranda (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I re-read the description, and if it is accurate, I take back my criticism except to say it's not something I would do, especially for that price.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
It is a different finish and fittings on the deluxe, the wood looks the same.

This is quite amazing how it works and a spectator will have no clue.

I have one in front of me and it is made really well and functions perfectly, it even has a nice safeguard built in against curious spectators which I won't go into here, this has been very well thought out.

We have standard and deluxe on the way into stock. https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-mag......ick.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Haunted Box reminds me of the routine with a mousetrap.
Mousetrap - A spectator chooses a card. After mixing with some of the other cards, a spectator finds the card himself using the mousetrap.
He touches the mousetrap with each card. Suddenly the mousetrap snaps.
This is the spectator's card.

The beauty of "Mousetrap" routine is that the spectator does all the handling himself.
Everything works automatically.

Mousetrap routine is available from german magic dealer Hakan Varol.
http://www.hakan-varol.de/shop-deutsch/r......alle.php

Darko
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Seems somewhat similar to the mousetrap, but doesn't the spectator do all the handling in Haunted Box as well?

One thing I notice about the mousetrap version is that the spec is going to know what is going to happen before it happens, which I can see would add some suspense (and fear!) into the routine. But I also kind of like the fact that it is more of a surprise with the box. They don't know it's going to slam shut and I would imagine they wouldn't really be sure why it did. So revealing their card is more of a surprise.

I think both versions have their merits depending on your style but the box would better suit me. Although the mousetrap is obviously much less expensive.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2017, caigy wrote:
This looks really nicely made and if it is the same method as the Anverdi version, the modern day working parts look to be very well hidden.

Are the aged finish and different style clasps the only difference between the standard and deluxe options, or is one made from a more exotic wood, or constructed better than the other?

I will be interested in hearing the reviews about this one.

Paul McCaig.

I really hope the deluxe version is nice and not just a stained version of the standard box. I hope it's more exotic wood. But, it doesn't look like it in the trailers.

Robert
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
In 'Card in Mousetrap' by Jarle Leirpoll, after the spectator has chosen a card, the performer handles the cards (and not the spectator) while the mousetrap is placed on the palm of the spectator. In Haunted Box the spectator handles the cards/envelopes etc. The MouseTrap is just a simple readily available prop and is used without any tweaking. While the Haunted Box most probably uses technology (as I understand after watching the demo vids - but I may be totally wrong).

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2017, Ustaad wrote:
In 'Card in Mousetrap' by Jarle Leirpoll, after the spectator has chosen a card, the performer handles the cards (and not the spectator) while the mousetrap is placed on the palm of the spectator.

There is a big difference between Jarle Lierpoll's and Hakan Varol's version.

"Card in Mousetrap" by Jarle Lierpool:
In 'Card in Mousetrap' by Jarle Leirpoll, after the spectator has chosen a card, the performer handles the cards (and not the spectator) while the mousetrap is placed on the palm of the spectator.

"Mousetrap"(Card in Mousetrap) by Hakan Varol:
In "Mousetrap"(Card in Mousetrap) by Hakan Varol, after the spectator has chosen a card, the "spectator" handles the cards (and not the performer)and the mousetrap is placed on the palm of the spectator (of course if the spectator has the courage; some spectators would not want a mousetrap on their palm).
In the version by Hakan Varol, the spectator does everything himself.

That's the big difference between these two versions.

Darko
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
When is this expected to be available?
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2017, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2017, Ustaad wrote:

There is a big difference between Jarle Lierpoll's and Hakan Varol's version.

"Card in Mousetrap" by Jarle Lierpool:

"Mousetrap"(Card in Mousetrap) by Hakan Varol:
In "Mousetrap"(Card in Mousetrap) by Hakan Varol, after the spectator has chosen a card, the "spectator" handles the cards (and not the performer)and the mousetrap is placed on the palm of the spectator (of course if the spectator has the courage; some spectators would not want a mousetrap on their palm).
In the version by Hakan Varol, the spectator does everything himself.

That's the big difference between these two versions.

Darko

Actually with a mousetrap you can bring back the spirit of a dead mouse.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
To answer my own question, I called Hocus Pocus and they do have it in stock now for immediate shipping
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
So glad Joao decided to release a "limited edition" version, which looks really nice. I've never seen the "deluxe" version in person, but it didn't look very good to me in the photos or trailer.

I don't quite understand why the deluxe version is $100 more than the standard version? Or, why the limited edition is $250 more than the standard? Seems awfully expensive, but this does look like a great version of an old effect.

Robert
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2017, Robert M wrote:
So glad Joao decided to release a "limited edition" version, which looks really nice. I've never seen the "deluxe" version in person, but it didn't look very good to me in the photos or trailer.

I don't quite understand why the deluxe version is $100 more than the standard version? Or, why the limited edition is $250 more than the standard? Seems awfully expensive, but this does look like a great version of an old effect.

Robert

I may have missed something. Where is the Limited Edition?
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Hocus-Pocus has the limited edition listed on their site.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Penguin and Hocus Pocus have them listed. I know Penguin sold out immediately. Only 25 were available. Hocus Pocus is still advertising it as far as I know.

The limited edition looks great! But, it's also $500. The standard and the limited edition are both fine, IMO. I haven't seen the deluxe in person, so don't listen to me. Smile

Robert
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Thanks.

Definitely DO NOT like the look of Limited Edition.

The aged look of Deluxe Edition would serve well for most applications. I find the Deluxe Edition actually looks classier than the Limited Edition.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
It's only my opinion but simply staining the box a darker color does not really qualify as making it looked "aged". That and a different hasp and hinges are the only differences I can tell. Seems like a lot of extra money just to use a different stain, and the "aged" hardware could even be cheaper, who knows?

Since I would likely do a fair amount of work refinishing it to better suit my purpose if I were to purchase this I would just get the least expensive and go from there.
I'll wait for some reviews to show up first however.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, J M Talbot wrote:
Looks great. I am sure owes a nod to Anverdi but the box looks more natural and the action on the box is very nice... definitely on the list.

Since there's no Magic Wagon release this month, I've ordered this one instead. Thanks John to have point it out to me!

Simon Smile
j2bgrt
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of j2bgrt
Thank You Simon for your thoughts on this one! I am going to go by your lead because I trust your opinion. While you are at it, I have a simple request; do you have David Blaine or I should say Paul Harris trick that you would be willing to part with, specifically, Strange Travelers. I missing mine and would enjoy any which way you can steer me. All my best Simon,
Jon Wilson
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2017, j2bgrt wrote:
Thank You Simon for your thoughts on this one! I am going to go by your lead because I trust your opinion. While you are at it, I have a simple request; do you have David Blaine or I should say Paul Harris trick that you would be willing to part with, specifically, Strange Travelers. I missing mine and would enjoy any which way you can steer me. All my best Simon,
Jon Wilson

Hi Jon, unfortunately I can't help you with Strange Travelers... but maybe another member here could help.

Let's hope we will enjoy our Haunted Box... I predict we will!

Thanks for your kind words!
Simon Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Haunted Box by Joao Miranda (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL