The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » 'Arranging' the Deck (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Many self-working tricks require an arrangement of the deck into a certain order. This may be applicable to the entire deck, or just a portion of the deck. Sometimes the performance of one trick leads into an arrangement that can be used in the following trick.

I have seen some card handlers simply arrange their deck for the next trick right in front of the spectators while pattering away at a mile a minute. I think that that undermines the power of the trick.

Does anyone have any tips on making an arrangement of cards for a trick while performing that does not look "fishy?"
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I don’t think there can be a simple answer to this question. It depends on what the setup needs to be, how elaborate it is, and the context of any actions taken. Also, weaving a setup into a presentation so that it can be accomplished in real time often requires a time compromise that not everyone is willing to make.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Harry Lorayne is a Master at this.
goochelen
View Profile
New user
Hexagonia
76 Posts

Profile of goochelen
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Harry Lorayne is a Master at this.

Do you have any references to find out more and to get some idea of what can be accomplished ?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Foa a few cards (2-4), you can simply do it between tricks, while talking an toying with the cards.

Or you can learn the Hopfinzer spread cull technique (from Card College 1 by Roberto Giobbi for example) which can be used for setting up a small number of cards (say 3-6 cards).

For a larger number of cards (8-12 for example) Roberto Giobbi in his Card College 5 describes an easy method to go through the pack of cards during a trick and prepare your set up. It's actually an idea by Juan Tamariz.

In his book on the memorised deck Mnemonica, Tamariz describes various methods, some of which can be used in any occasion, not just in a memorised deck case.

Mark
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Goochelen: I taught the way I've done it for decades in both JAW DROPPERS ONE (sorry, sold out) and JAW DROPPERS TWO. (Obviously mlippo hasn't read either - oh well, his loss.)
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Sanks
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Sanks
Cull multiple cards while seemingly casually counting cards. I do this all the time in front of the audience.
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
If it is only a few cards, you can say you are looking for and removing the Jokers.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Now, as to answering your question... If you're trying to perform a sequence of so-called "self-working" tricks which require a particular deck setup, you'll have to think hard about that. The self-working effects you can perform will be heavily restricted unless you are incredibly skilled in highly advanced sleights. And if you were skilled in those highly advanced sleights, you probably wouldn't be asking this question. It sounds like Robert Giobbo's _Card College Light_ or _Card College Lightest_ might be what you need.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I would never suggest trying to set an entire deck "impromptuly" but I've certainly explained how to do that for perhaps up to, sometimes, half the deck. Think of this, for example - you want to set, say, the 13 spade cards for an upcoming miracle. So, you're doing an effect where you're trying to read a spectator's mind and find his lost-in-the deck selection.

So as you spread through the deck, faces of cards toward you - a bit of acting...upjog spade cards as you come to them saying "I think your card might be among these..." etc. Do say 6 spades that way plus the selection. Hold on to the upjogged cards as you table the deck proper. "Let's see..." and you do the same with the small packet, upjogging say three spade cards and the selection. Hold them and drop the inner cards onto the deck, as you say "I'm pretty sure your card is among these."

Finally, each time muttering something about "please concentrate on your card --- I think it's here, not sure yet..." Upjog all remaining spade cards, drop them onto the deck, and you're left holding the selected card.
End that effect - and you have all the spade cards on top so you can shuffle keeping them there - and go into that miracle!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
I love how, in Pit Harling's Chaos trick, it being presented as an "automatic, mathematical trick" makes it so setting everything up in front of the spectators doesn't detract and might even add (if you're ad libbing through) to the effect. Of course, it's a pretty simple pattern that could be done quickly. And with enough grimacing and shuffling things around, and with the rest of the routine being completely stupid, by the end nobody in their right mind even believe there was anything mathematical (or automatic) there...
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3511 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you Mr Lorayne.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » 'Arranging' the Deck (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL