The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2017 (103 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..11~12~13 [Next]
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Here. We go...

Heya Everyone!

I can't believe another year has gone by! And I apologise for getting this rolling a few weeks later than usual; so let's not waste time and just get started! Before we officially get rolling, let me say that I am happy and honoured to host/moderate yet another year. I went through a huge move (from a big city to a small one) so, quick FYI, I won't be doing too much updating until mid January as I'm just not around as often. Luckily I can copy and paste the rules from previous years and I trust everyone to take part, have fun, and make this awesome for all of us! Good luck!!

Hiya Gang!

It's that time of year! Who will win The Houdin for 2017?!

First, why "Houdin?"

Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin is known as the father of modern magic. He was born Jean Eugene Robert and took the "Houdin" portion when he married the daughter of one of the few watchmakers of the time who was still using old world techniques; Jacques Francois Houdin. So, in honor of love and the adding of something to yourself to make you better (in his case he took the name), the nature of watchmaking, creating, tinkering (something I think we, as creators all do!) and the simple coolness of the name, it's what I came up with!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Eug%C3%A8ne_Robert-Houdin

Okay- What is your favourite effect that was released in 2017?

Please submit up to 3 entries and we'll tally them up on March.01 (that now gives us 2 months of voting and using various effects that get published at the end of the year). The winner will relieve a special Limited Edition "Anything Is Possible" bottle- "Trick Of The Year" trophy, called THE HOUDIN AWARD! Fun!

As, well, we now have "The Thurston Award"...

This award will awarded to a creator who created an effect in 2016 and who represents the true Spirit of Magic. Great customer service, kind, and a gift to the community.

Please submit one entry:

1).

And, while we're at it, let's look at some of the past winners that we were able to figure out:

Houdin winners

2000: no voting took place
2001: no voting took place
2002: no voting took place
2003: Passing Through by Kevin Parker
2004: no voting took place
2005: Sinful by Wayne Houchin
2006: Fraud by Daniel Garcia
2007: no voting took place
2008: Multi-Dimensional by Craig Filicetti
2009: no voting took place
2010: Get Sharky by Christoph Borer
2011: Industrial Revelation from Jamie D. Grant
2012: Nest Of Wallets from Nick Einhorn
2013: Inferno by Joshua Jay
2014: Fair Play by Steve Haynes & Inferno by Bobby Hasbun
2015: Svenpad Supreme by Brett Barry
2016: WikiTest by Marc Kerstein

Thurston winners

2013: Andy Nyman and The Code
2014: Craig Filicetti
2015: Craig Filicetti
2016: Craig Filicetti

(Winners have been decided by researching the Magic Café for threads titled Trick of the Year, or something similar, that contained votes from the members.)

Ref: 2000: ,2001: ,2002: ,2003: ,2004: ,2005: ,2006: ,2007: ,2008: ,2009: ,2010: ,2011: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=109&192

And, gang, I know firsthand how much of an impact this thread will have on someone's life. Seriously. The prestige from this little thread will drive their sales through the roof. So please let's take this seriously, say nothing but nice things, and have fun! We're going to change someone's life!

RULES:

So if you follwed this thread last year, things got a little bit complicated. What started out as a fun thread between pals several years ago has turned into a HUGE event and, you know what? That's a good thing! It shows that the art of magic is alive and well and that we're all passionate about it!! To help reduce drama, though (we can never eliminate it, I'm afraid,) let's try and keep to the following...

Vote with Trick Name and the Creator Name for Trick of the Year (Houdin). Please submit 3 Entries.
Submit 1 Trick Name and Creator Name for Customer Service/Spirit/Kindness of the Year (Thurston)

If you have been selected and want to encourage your pals to take part...

You must have 50+ posts on the Magic Café for your vote to count. If you're new, that gives you over 2 months to join in the community and share in our passion.

It is impossible to police or enforce a "no asking your clients, friends, etc to vote" rule and, personally, I think it's silly to ask people not to share their excitement. How can you have a contest if you're not allowed to talk about it?! On that note, I ask that you please...

Don't offer financial incentives.
Encourage people to vote for 3, not just one.
Limit the number of your announcements to 3 times.

I trust people (perhaps that's a fault, lol) but I also trust the voting public to choose what they truly feel is the best and not just what soemone tells them to do.

Lastly, this is a thread for JOY. Let me be clear- HAPPINESS! Any post that is not a vote or is something positive, I will ask for it to be deleted. There are other places on the Café (Right or Worng) for political disussions. But they won't be here.

Wish me luck (I mean for moderating this thread), lol...

Your pal,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Hurray!
magicmannp12
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of magicmannp12
1. Whiplash by Josh Janousky
2. Hovercard Plus by Dan Harlan and Nicholas Lawrence
3. IG by Josh Janousky
-Nick
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Hands down best is Inject 2
Concilium
Did I say Inject 2?
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Venom by Magie Factory
Whiplash by Josh Janousky
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
For the Houdin Award

1 JJ's Coin Coalition by John Jurney
2 Quiver by Kelvin Chow
3 Keymaster Chrome by Craig Petty ( the updated version is way superior to the original )

For thr Thurston Award for me it's Card-Shark for the amazing customer service they gave me which really was above and beyond and not to mention their excellent products.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
For the Thurston Award:

Card Shark

reason: Exactly the same reason as the above poster: for the amazing customer service they gave me which really was above and beyond and not to mention their excellent products.

(and NO, Card Shark (Christian) didn't ask me to write this Smile )
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I've become interested in visual effects lately and really love Whiplash by Josh Janousky. Also love Shin Lims recent red release
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Inject 2.0 is the best release for me Smile
Wisdom Hunter
View Profile
New user
Suwanee, GA
3 Posts

Profile of Wisdom Hunter
Inject 2 by Greg Rostami
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
avimag51
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of avimag51
Inject 2.0 is the best release for me.
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
421 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Inject 2.0 - Greg Rostami - for Trick of the Year (Houdin)
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Houdin
- Quiver by Kelvin Chow
- Inject 2.0 - Greg Rostami
- Position Impossible - Brent Braun
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
1...inject 2.0,
2...inject 2.0
3...inject 2.0,👍👍👍👍
amanduggal
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of amanduggal
Inject 2.0 by Greg Rostami!
loudean
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
2 Posts

Profile of loudean
Inject 2 by Greg Rostami, innovative, much too inexpensive, and a real audience killer!
amirb401
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of amirb401
Thurston goes for Pheodon from proteus.. hes doing amazing job on the private fb group! a must imo.

top 3 effects in no particular order;
Inject 2
Proteus
Isabella star 3
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Thank you to everyone who has voted for Inject 2.0

2017 has been an amazing year of magic ... lots of "must have" releases.
It was really hard to choose only three, but here are my favorite effects from 2017:

The Gift by Angelo Carbone
Instagrab by Patrick Kun

As always, a BIG thanks to Jamie Grant for all the work he puts into this thread year after year.
Greg Rostami
thekunal
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of thekunal
Inject 2.0 by Greg Rostami
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Inject 2.0 - Greg Rostam
Position Impossible by Brent Braun
Bare The Other Brothers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2017 (103 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL