The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2017 (103 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
Tom Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
England
291 Posts

Profile of Tom Wong
Thurston Award: Phedon Bilek

p.s. Phedon, we agreed on $20 for posting this right?
Mentalistry | Providing quality products to Mentalists across the globe
www.mentalistry.com
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thurston Award: Michael Murray

As for my choice of 3 effects, this was really hard to narrow it down to three. But I have decided to go for versatility and with all these 3 effects capable of being used and taken in different directions.

1 Visionary 3 by ThoughtIllusions
2 TITE by RedDevil
3 Humint by Phill Smith
BunnyHopping
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of BunnyHopping
Inject 2.0
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
1. Chinese Tweezers by Lopez
2. Gone Fishin by McGie
3. Whiplash by Janousky

TA: Reel Magic
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
1. Inject 2.0
2. Rubik's Dream
3. OxBender
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
1/ IceBreaker by Francis Girola
2 /Carbone's The Gift
3/ 52 to 1

Thurston:
CardShark
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Houdin:
(In no particular order)

1. Ox Bender by Menny Lendenfeld
2. Zodiac Book Test by Lee Petrucci & Theory11
3. 52 to 1 by Wayne Fox & David Penn

Honorable Mention:
Fortuity by David Jonathan
(I think it’s a silly rule that creators are allowed to vote for their own effects, so I will not do so)

Thurston: Stephen Young of ThoughtIllusions
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
1. The Gift - Angelo Carbone
2. The Box - Joao Miranda
3. Position Impossible - Brent Braun

Thurston Award: Angelo Carbone for all his genius contributions the magicdom.
mikehutchinson
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of mikehutchinson
1. H.G. Effect - Shawn Farquar
2. The Gift - Angelo Carbone
3. Gone Fishin' - Roddy McGhie
samllevy
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of samllevy
1. Inject 2
2. Venom
3. Proteus

Thurston Award: Dave Bonsall and the propdog team
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Well, this is has already been a tough start. Gah. But I’ve reached out to people I trust, past winners, and close friends and they are almost unanimous that Inject 2.0 doesn’t qualify. Allowing updated versions to win would open the door to one effect (if it was astounding) to win every year for eternity- if it kept updating every year. But, at the same time, and knowing what a great guy Greg is (I would even call him a friend as we’ve been at Magic Live together for years!), it kills me that he doesn’t qualify because he was doing right by his customers (by updating rather than renaming it). Gah! I’m actually 50/50- so I’m going to have to go with the panel and trust that everyone understands. If you voted for Inject 2.0, please cast a vote for another and please don’t forget that the Thurston Award exists- which seems like an extremely excellent alternative in this exact case.

Bring on the hate, lol.

My best,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Tough decision and a little disappointing as Inject 2.0 really is fantastic. So I would like to go ahead and nominate Greg Rostami for the Thurston award.

My Trick of the year would be Quiver - unless it also gets disqualified (not really a trick - more of a utility device)

Ed
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
While we're at it, Position Impossible was released in 2016.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Houdin

1. Cbring Thumb Writer by Andreas Sebring
2. C-Purse by Xavier Lepronier
3. Venom by Magie Factory

Thurston

Andreas Sebring (very helpful, wonderful customer service).
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, egoli wrote:
Tough decision and a little disappointing as Inject 2.0 really is fantastic. So I would like to go ahead and nominate Greg Rostami for the Thurston award.

My Trick of the year would be Quiver - unless it also gets disqualified (not really a trick - more of a utility device)

Ed

Good. This Thread was getting way too predictable.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Thanks for everyone who has voted for Whiplash. I’m incredibly flattered!

For the Houdin I’m voting for
1) Lolli Hero by Steve Rowe
2) Instagrab by Patrick Kun
3) Stand Up Monte Expansion by Garrett Thomas (but if that’s an issue I’ll go with 23 by Michael Weber)

For the Thurston I’m voting for Greg Rostami
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
As much as I love Craig, after 3 well-deserved years in a row as a Thurston award winner, maybe it’s time to give someone else the accolades.
So this year my Thurston award vote goes to Greg Rostami.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Dear friends,

As I've said earlier, I will agree with whatever Jamie and the members of the Café decide about including Inject 2.0 this year.

As Marc said, I think the correct solution is "Voting for a particular effect within Inject is more appropriate".

There are enough new features in Inject 2.0 that it could have been a new product in 2017.
If we had chosen to make a new product, with a new name, then we wouldn't have this issue.

But we chose to give these new features and effects for free to our existing users with Inject 2.0.

Inject is a utility that started in 2013 with my Supa Thump app.
Like any other utility in magic, how we use these utilities matures over time.

If I had made an amazing trick in 2017 with a TT (Th*** T**), then we obviously wouldn't give an award to a TT ... we would give the award to the TRICK.

In conclusion, it's an honor to have even a single vote in this competition.
Thank you Jamie for considering me for the Thurston award. I really appreciate your friendship and the time you've spent investigating this matter.

Every year, Jamie's wonderful thread, allows us to vote for our favorite tricks.

If there's a particular trick that you like, that uses the features in Inject 2017(2.0), then I would be honored if you cast a vote for it.

Merry Christmas
Greg Rostami
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, Greg Rostami wrote:
Dear friends,

As I've said earlier, I will agree with whatever Jamie and the members of the Café decide about including Inject 2.0 this year.

As Marc said, I think the correct solution is "Voting for a particular effect within Inject is more appropriate".

There are enough new features in Inject 2.0 that it could have been a new product in 2017.
If we had chosen to make a new product, with a new name, then we wouldn't have this issue.

But we chose to give these new features and effects for free to our existing users with Inject 2.0.

Inject is a utility that started in 2013 with my Supa Thump app.
Like any other utility in magic, how we use these utilities matures over time.

If I had made an amazing trick in 2017 with a TT (Th*** T**), then we obviously wouldn't give an award to a TT ... we would give the award to the TRICK.

In conclusion, it's an honor to have even a single vote in this competition.
Thank you Jamie for considering me for the Thurston award. I really appreciate your friendship and the time you've spent investigating this matter.

Every year, Jamie's wonderful thread, allows us to vote for our favorite tricks.

If there's a particular trick that you like, that uses the features in Inject 2017(2.0), then I would be honored if you cast a vote for it.

Merry Christmas
Greg Rostami

Grace, class, and awesomeness. You’re the man, Greg!

Back to voting and...Merry Christmas, everyone!!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
GusGarcia
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of GusGarcia
Instagrab-Patrick Kun
The Gift-Angelo Carbone
52 to 1-David Penn and Wayne Fox
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2017 (103 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL