The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ Frank Garcia (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
I'm wondering about Frank Garcia's books. I've got a bunch of them and I know there's some good material in them so I'm not asking about that, I'm mostly curious about their worth and how rare they are. I know some are highly sought after and can go for hundreds and I've tried looking around, but I've mostly only seen some generic comments about them being hard to find. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me more information on their availability and value. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe I saw someone saying something about how the legal mumbo jumbo about the Garcia estate is a mess and consequently, the books won't be reprinted for a long time, if ever. Is this true?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6610 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I love Garcia's books. Hopefully, they'll never be reprinted.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Hopefully, they'll never be reprinted.

Why hopefully?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6610 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Huzzah, I've recently acquired a signed copy of Garcia's Marked Cards and Loaded Dice. I also have Exclusive Card Secrets and the Elegant Card Magic of Fr. Cyprian.
Which titles do you have?
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
I've got:

Exclusive Card Secrets
The Encyclopedia of Spongeball Magic (very happy to find this one)
Don't Bet On It
Million Dollar Card Secrets
Exclusive Card Miracles
Super Subtle Card Miracles
The Close Up Magic Of Frank Garcia Part II
The Very Best of Cups & Balls
Frank Garcia's Billiard Balls
Wild Card Miracles
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2695 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Nice collection of his books. I have heard from someone that knows, that the family thinks the rights to his books are worth a lot of money. More going on, but that boils it down. Before he passed he was thinking about having Million Dollar and Super Subtle put into one volume but that never happened. As for price, the spongeball book seems to bring the most, followed by Million Dollar, and Super Subtle.
Don't Bet On It, in the past has also brought good money. If you are thinking of selling, it's all about demand at the time. One bit of advice is not to get your pricing from Amazon or some of the generic
book sellers as they can be well out of reality.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2218 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Is it about the magic in those books that need to be kept secret or the cost of the originals being diminished should they become available again?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5952 Posts

Profile of motown
I would agree with Tom G.

I would also add that, that in this day and age, there isn't the demand for books
like there once was, with the younger crowd tending toward DVDs and Downloads.
Fewer and fewer people know who Frank Garcia is and what's in these books.
Ten years ago those books would have commanded a higher price. The condition of the
books would also be a factor as well.

There are the ones I would say would fetch the most:

The Encyclopedia of Spongeball Magic
Million Dollar Card Secrets
Super Subtle Card Miracles
The Very Best of Cups & Balls
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
Ė Karl Germain
huangja
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of huangja
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Nobody will pay high prices for those books nowadays. The pdf files of them are everywhere.
In the book market, as CD market has done when the engraving devices hit the world, one need to make the books valuable by themselves and not only the contents.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6610 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
Nobody will pay high prices for those books nowadays. The pdf files of them are everywhere.
In the book market, as CD market has done when the engraving devices hit the world, one need to make the books valuable by themselves and not only the contents.

Yes, they will. I'm waiting to buy many books that are quite costly (to some ). I have no interest in pdf files.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5952 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
How many of those PDFs are legal?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
Ė Karl Germain
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
None of them are. I donít know the situation in the US, but here in Europe, most of young magicians learn magic on YouTube, copied dvd and illegal pdf. Just see the ratio of magicians in the world compared to the number of books soldÖ
I have a huge library, and a bunch of the volumes (around two hundreds) are illegal printed pdf, original copies are impossible to find. As soon as the books are printed again, Iím purchasing them, so this number go lower and lower. I will never pay two hundreds bucks for books which were costing 30 when I was not in magic, because simply, I canít afford it. And to my point of view itís ridiculous, people just try to make money, and I donít like that. One time only, Iíve purchased a book twice with the idea to sell it later because I knew it will increase in value. I regretted my decision, and last year, a us magician has lost everything in a home fire. I didnít know him, but iíve sent him the book for free (Magic castle notebook vol 2).
People who donít want to print books again encourage piracy.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6610 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Disgusting.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Of course collectors will always buy thinks, even (especially ?Ö) for high prices.
Iím not a collector and my library is a working library. So my POV with which some will find immoral.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I agree with you, but Iím afraid the situation is the same every where.
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of nooner
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
None of them are. I donít know the situation in the US, but here in Europe, most of young magicians learn magic on YouTube, copied dvd and illegal pdf. Just see the ratio of magicians in the world compared to the number of books soldÖ
I have a huge library, and a bunch of the volumes (around two hundreds) are illegal printed pdf, original copies are impossible to find. As soon as the books are printed again, Iím purchasing them, so this number go lower and lower. I will never pay two hundreds bucks for books which were costing 30 when I was not in magic, because simply, I canít afford it. And to my point of view itís ridiculous, people just try to make money, and I donít like that. One time only, Iíve purchased a book twice with the idea to sell it later because I knew it will increase in value. I regretted my decision, and last year, a us magician has lost everything in a home fire. I didnít know him, but iíve sent him the book for free (Magic castle notebook vol 2).
People who donít want to print books again encourage piracy.

You are stealing no matter how you try and spin it. It is illegal and immoral and hurts the craft. If you cannot obtain a book legally it is never a legitimate excuse to pirate it via an illegal PDF. I can't believe you have over 300 posts here and feel comfortable revealing your unethical activities to this community.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I steal nothing. Iíve given more than 99.99999 % of magicians (certainly including you nooner) to the magic Industry (despite the fact that I have small income) in buying books, dvds, ebooksÖso I donít think I can receive a lesson from anybody.
When saying ę†illegal†Ľ, I mean an unthotorized copy. And there is a huge difference. But since nooner is above all of us as a moral exemple, letís clarify a little. First, a lot of my copies are French ones. They are all available on the French national library online. Yes, when a book is published, several copies has to be sent to this library. Magic books are not an exception. But before this online service was set, we had to go to Paris to consult them. When one magician was there, he would make copies and make a pdf of it and email the others. Now you can download them for free. But this copy (even if it is free of rights) is nevertheless illegal. I donít see any damages to the author here because rights are over. And authors are dead since a long long time.
For thť English books, iím Purchasing them when I can, which not a lot people who has already them in a form or another do iím sureÖ
Something else in this regard, every magician, and I mean EVERY magician has in his life borrowed a book from a colleague. You read the book, take notes and give it back to his owner. So do you steal the author doing that ? In the authorís perspective yes, in the lawís percspective, no. Things are not so simple. And the laws are here to frame the society, not to be applied blindly like your comments suggest.
One more thing, In France, you are allowed to have copies of whatever you already own. So as soon as I have purchased the book, my copy becomes legal. But I would not be allowed to sell it of course, neither give.
Again I donít see any hurt since no new copies are available, the author canít earn money from them since they are all sold.
One last thing, nooner, are you leaving on a desert island ? Your position seems very naive. Most of the time, people who judge severely others should not be watched too closelyÖ
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of nooner
That is a tired and illogical argument used by unethical people to justify piracy. My position may sound naive to you (your words) but it is indisputable fact. Stealing is stealing. If you have a PDF for a book that 1) you didn't pay for and the author/publisher was not somehow compensated for your ownership of that said copy, 2) wasn't given away for free with the consent of the author/publisher and 3) isn't in the public domain, then you are in possession of a pirated copy of a book.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
As I told you, most of the illegal pdf I have are French text now in the public domain, but they were unothorized copies at the time they were done, so are they still illegal ? I donít know for sure.
Authors are dead and there is no rights for their children so there is no compensation to give to anybody.
For the small bunch of books which are a result of piracy, they were acquired when I was a young student, without any income, and as I told you, as soon as I was working, I have begun to purchase the original as soon as they were available but admittedly not on the second market for crazy prices. Iím repairing what iíve done when I was young and I canít do more. And it didnít seem clear but I donít do it anymore. If really needed, I would borrow the book, but as I told before, especially because it is magic, the result is the same as piracy, because Iím acquiring knowledge without paying for it. Thatís an ambiguity.
I canít imagine things are different in the us. For what I see here, I would say that 8 or 9 out of 10 magical things circulating are piracy. You have no idea what certain people do. They are organized in nets, and as soon as something is on the market, they have it. Donít ask how, I have no idea. it is told that some of them have more than 20 000 or 30 000 pdf files and dvds. I was asking them if this or that is good or not, and with this information I was buying or not. But they have seen so much that now, their judgment is unreliable. I just trust genii magazine now.
One little story : some years ago, I was desesperately searching a Marloís book. I had contacted famous magicians to ask them if they were knowing someone who would be willing to sell me the book. It was before internet time. And one of them sent me a copy of itÖI would not say here his name of course, but he is a world famous magician, with integrity and high respect for the art...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ Frank Garcia (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL