The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wishes for 2018 in mentalism (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I mean, they probably won't happen will they? but we can at least still Grinch about it below...

for the same old friends and friends of friends constantly reviewing each others work
for products to stop saying "limited by your own imagination"
for people to stop feeling so entitled to information without putting in the hard graft themselves
more please and thank you's...
to realise the value in books over anything else
for pocket money priced mentalism to stop being the norm
general pretence, trolling and ego to be controlled
to realise that forums can often reflect the mentality of its user base and to reflect upon that
for people to learn how to google properly
no more PIN, star sign or propless first name/drawing effects please...PLEASE!

what are yours?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4200 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
For mentalism to go back to being "underground."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1569 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
'This is a reputation maker'. 'I begged him not to release this'. 'My jaw hit the floor'. There are many more such BS statements that completely turn me off even reading the blurb. Stop insulting people's intelligence who have been in this game long enough to know you're hyping a bag of s$$t!

I'll stop there but I could go on and on.....
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1569 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Oh and while I am on a roll, I would really love to see the nasty trend of promo's showing how an effect is accomplished being reversed in 2018. I really cannot comprehend how a creator can stand over such a video that clearly illustrates how the effect is achieved. Dice and Rubik cubes spring to mind...
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4200 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Ad copy translations:
"Limited by your own imagination" . . . because you're actually buying this, then your imagination is quite limited.
"This is a reputation maker" . . . not all reputations are good.
"I begged him not to release this" . . . because it wouldn't look good for him if he did.
"My jaw hit the floor" . . . when I realized that he actually thought he had fooled us.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
For all my friends in the mentalism community to be healthy and make it through 2018.
That is all.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1034 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I wish more people thought like Tony Iacoviello.
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Raum
Happiness to all.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1520 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
For mentalism to go back to being "underground."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
What tony said and .....

"I immediately added this to my working set!"

I worked professionally for 15 years and rarely added much to my "working set"
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
To support local mentalists by paying to attend their shows. I was fortunate to see so many marvelous mentalism shows and lectures in NYC in 2017, and I hope to see many more in 2018.

P.S. If you're in NYC, look up Wondershow on January 24th at House of Yes. Smile
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
For Walletvention, a convention devoted entirely to p@@k wallets.
For a gigantic, yet practical, p@@k wallet so large the spectator can fit inside along with their billet.
For P@@kvention, a convention devoted entirely to the latest developments in p@@ks of the non-wallet variety.
For Penn to fool Teller.
For the usual cast of characters to keep posting only when they have something to sell, starting every post with, "Hey guys...."
For creators to create something truly new and revolutionary in the field of mentalism - then not offer it for sale.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
For magicians and mentalists to live like ebony and ivory side by side on my piano keyboard. Thank you Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
My wish is for not a single new mentalism effect, book, dvd etc to be released in 2018.
If you're thinking of releasing something this year, think about how much better it would be if you worked on it for one more year. By that time you might have something truly unique or you might realise that what you're releasing isn't particularly original and create something better. Obviously this wont happen but I will be doing my utmost to buy nothing in 2018, I have enough new ideas and material in my head and in books to keep me going for a lifetime.
My other wish would be for a new forum for mentalism. Open to all but unlike the Café non google searchable and with stricter rules about exposure and people using the forum just to sell goods.
Happy new year everyone.
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
For there to be a shift that leads this community to focus less on how to secretly obtain information and to focus more on how to reveal the information that has been secretly obtained through engaging, original presentations.
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
More focus on presentation and performing in releases and post.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
May we all find inspiration in life, and stay curious about weird things! ❤️
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Some more from me...

that people spend more time looking at the make-up of the people they perform for, to look at demographics and beliefs
that we can challenge in a healthy way what mentalism can be and look like
that we can keep magic and mentalism separate for many valid reasons that I wont go into
we can all express our views clearly, openly and listen and taken on feedback - as long as that feedback is given in a genuine and sense-checked way
I hope we can all explore different angles, personas and presentations that are different, unique, expressive of who we are yet still retain the idea(l)s of mentalism
we learn from the past and look to the future (did a bit of sick in my mouth typing that but it is true)

thanks for taking part folks...please continue...
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1325 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I'd like to see the elimination of the phrase "magician fooler".
Dandin
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Dandin
Like it is so difficult to fool a magician. Sometimes you can fool them with something very simple and basic.
My wish? That people will stop saying "you need to be entertaining". The word entertaining is meaningless. Please stop using it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wishes for 2018 in mentalism (23 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL