The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A Contest to Begin the New Year (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Greetings, Magi.

From the depths of winter here in New England I bid you all a good day as we end 2017. I wish to propose a contest for us all to consider. But first, a story.

Just over quarter century ago I purchased a set of six dichroic 'gems' at a local new age fair. These caught my eye as they were beautifully colored; each one had a unique symbol on it along with a single word - Focus, Guidance, Creativity, Health, Abundance, or Love. At that time I used the set to draw one from a velvet drawstring bag and use as a focus for one of my daily meditations. It was a daily ritual that I enjoyed, as it allowed me a daily communication from Spirit, as I opened myself to what gifts came to me from the spiritual realm, using that word as a point of focus. This was in the summer of 1988, the summer I was to leave to spend a year in Europe, traveling and getting a real education. It was my gap-year, in the midst of my undergraduate studies. This set of gems, a Motherpeace tarot deck, a pendulum, and A Course in Miracles, were the four New Age accouterments I allowed myself the space to bring as I headed overseas for what would become one of the most meaningful outward journeys of my life.

These gems became a part of my daily meditative practices, while I challenged myself to learn to see in the way offered by A Course in Miracles. Coming back to Kansas the following year, I had received many wonderful insights during my time abroad - a vivid past life recollection from outside Orleans (perhaps I will share this should we sometime be around a campfire), having spent some time living with an older mystic who taught me the art of reading inkblots who was also an energy healer, and the ability to see the language of archetypes.

Upon returning to Kansas, I got caught back up in my daily living, even though I had undergone a profound shift that was invisible to my friends. My daily meditative practices slowed as I returned to the world of undergraduate coursework and eventually went dormant for some time as I entered into the fast-paced world of graduate school some time thereafter. They were rekindled about a decade afterwards and, just a few years ago I found the original set of stones that had been kept in a rarely-used desk drawer. Opening up the bag and pulling out one of the stones, Focus, brought back a whole host of memories from this very special time of my life. Now, grounded in storytelling magic, I thought there could be a wonderful ability to routine these gems into a captivating story. I ended up finding the original booklet that came with the gems tucked away in the drawer and did an internet search to see if she was still alive and producing artwork. She replied back to me that she had not made those gems for a couple of decades and thought she still had a couple sets of them lying around…but that she would not be making any more. I bought them. And into my desk they went, again.

With the move to Maine two Summers ago, I came across them, again. Packed safely away, I have been called to make them available to you fine individuals. As I only have two extra sets, we will have a contest to see who will win them. I encourage you all to script an effect that uses these gems (see the two photos, links provided at the bottom of this post). Please send me your completed script no later than St. Valentine's Day - February 14th. I will remove the names of the respective authors from the scripts and send them to a judge - who has been selected but is yet to be announced - and this individual will judge and rank-order the top six entries. I will then go through that order and give the recipients the choice to receive either a set of the 6 gems (I have two sets) or a set of six wooden runes with the same markings on them (I have four sets), which marked so that you know which rune has which symbol. Once the two sets of gems have been selected, the remaining of the six individuals will receive the wooden sets. So, as you craft a story, consider it being able to be used with either the gems or the marked wooden runes. It opens up a field of possibilities, no?

Everyone who submits an entry will receive the final product, which will contain all of the pieces submitted for this context. This is a win-win, and a creative way to kick off the New Year!

Who is game? State your intention to join in the fun and let's see if we can generate some good thoughts and good will as we enter into 2018.

Send me your pieces at david4847 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net on or before February 14th, 2018.

All the best wishes for a healthy and happy new year,

David

http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/daeich......rt=3&o=1

http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/daeich......rt=3&o=0
Station10
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
182 Posts

Profile of Station10
David, I already have the beginnings of a routine perculating in my mind. You can mark me down as a participant.

John
Blind Eye Magi
John Gilmore
www.blindeyemagi.com

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." ~ Harry Houdini

"To Strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield!"
~ Alfred Tennyson
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
112 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I also look forward to submitting an entry.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1340 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I would like to participate as well! This will be fun!
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
162 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
I like the idea of this!
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, Luke Jonas wrote:
I like the idea of this!

Overseas brethren are encouraged to join in!!
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
162 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, David Eichler wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, Luke Jonas wrote:
I like the idea of this!

Overseas brethren are encouraged to join in!!

challenge accepted. good luck to all.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
530 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Hi David, a great initiative! Thanks. Luc.
bud.scott
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
I'm in, let the scripting begin!
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2018, bud.scott wrote:
I'm in, let the scripting begin!

Excellent, Bud! If you're at ECSS this year, perhaps see if any of the fine folks there would care to participate... the more the merrier...
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2000 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I can't promise anything special, but I have a couple of ideas for how I could put these to use. I'll give it my best shot.

-Patrick
Station10
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
182 Posts

Profile of Station10
My humble submission has been sent.
John Gilmore
www.blindeyemagi.com

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." ~ Harry Houdini

"To Strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield!"
~ Alfred Tennyson
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2018, Station10 wrote:
My humble submission has been sent.

Yes, we have a total of 4 submissions thus far. Keep them coming! There are some wonderful gems (pun intended) it there...
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Ten more days before the contest closes. We have a total of four effects - all wonderful gems! If you have not sent in a submission and hope to do so, there is still time.
All the best,
David
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
All,

MatCult has agreed to come out of the shadows to review the different routines to identify which are his favorites. The routines will all be sent to him with any personably-identifiable information removed, so he is reviewing them blindly. Anyone who submits a piece will be given the submissions of all who participate.

Enjoy,

David
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
We are up to six submissions.

There is one more week to work on and submit your piece of creativity.

David
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
We have had seven pieces submitted for consideration. Thanks to all who submitted an entry! MatCult has been sent them all and will report back to me when he has identified his favorites. I'll be notifying all contestants using the emails through which they submitted piece to me.

Thanks,

David
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1748 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
A 25-page .pdf was sent to all individuals who sent in routines. If you have not received your copy and you entered the contest, please contact me via PM. Congrats to both Seth speaks and Mr. Woolery for both winning a set of the gems!

All the best,

David
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
112 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Congrats!
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1340 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Thanks so much David and MatCult, as well as everyone who boldly participated! I can't wait to dive in and absorb everyone's contributions!

A very worthwhile enterprise--thanks again, David!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A Contest to Begin the New Year (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL