The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Favorite Marketed Bizarre Effect of 2017 (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
FATHOMS
R. Steiner
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of R. Steiner
The Artifactum. Hands-down.
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2017, paulnoff wrote:
My vote is for FATHOMS by GEMINI ARTIFACTS

My vote is also a toss up between either "Fathoms" or the Alice Dopps" with the Queen deck!

"Doc Ben" (Bill Meeker)

Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
WOOF !! - Artifactum, Fathoms with the extras, VVICTH, Alice dopps with Queen Alice cards & Oraculum are all #1 fav's for me, this is a hell of a screaming brain twister for me as to which one I would have to choose as my favorite one bizarre effect I purchased in 2017.....have to ponder on this a tad more
Gaunt
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Gaunt
My vote goes to The VVITCH by Darkness.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
A month ago, my answer would have been different, but now I have to say...

THE BLACK HOLE: A Coal Miner's Lament gets my vote for the #1 spot.

Really wonderful kit with many pieces both relevant and simply appropriate, moving and authentic story, very flexible for different styles. A winner in my book.

Seth
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I was lucky to acquire a preview copy of Dan Baines' Ghosts of Great Britain last month which will be officially released at ECSS...and it is absolutely wonderful. The routine takes Dan's 'A Book at Midnight' method and mixes it with his 'Oculus' to create a chilling "mash up." The routine involves 24 cards describing legendary British ghost stories. Not only can two spectators think of an identical card, but an audience member can also predict the number of the card before it is chosen.

The effect aside, Dan's already wonderful props have evolved here in craftsmanship and design, to the point where I was just handling each card in awe of the intricacy of the line work, typography...he nails the time period with the artwork and then follows through with the masterful aging. And the Oculus gimmick is a piece of work. I am not nimble whatsoever when it comes to manipulating intricate gimmicks, but this one functions perfectly.

So, for me, this prop was my favorite for 2017 but I realize that's not entirely fair since I had a preview.

This review aside, I have to give my thumbs-up to The VVitch by Darkness. For me, it is a prop and effect where everything coalesces into the perfect dark storm. Plot, effect, design, craftsmanship...all wonderfully sinister.

But then The Black Hole...great, Fathoms, Alice Dopps and deck, Artifactum...all *** bad, and so *** good.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
116 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
I was lucky enough to obtain an early copy of 'Ghosts of Great Britain' too. The use of the oculus to select a number is a blindingly brilliant addition to the 'Book at Midnight' routine, and leads to a genuinely baffling, mind-blowing conclusion.

The quality of the props is exceptional. The 26 cards are much heavier and more 'solid' than you might expect, setting a new standard. When Dan officially releases it this month at ECSS, don't hesitate!

Considering that only 13 copies of The VVITCH have (so far) been made available, it's testament to the quality and overall experience of this effect that so many people have given it their vote as their favourite purchase of the year. Mr. DARKNESS did hint that more might be coming after this initial run. I hope that the testimonies given will persuade people not to hesitate if a further run does indeed materialise.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
A Game of Life & Death by David Parr.

thank you, Tony!
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
A big thank you to those who acknowledged and supported The VVitch project! Your success and comments mean a lot to me.

Good new is, I hope to make two VVitch's per week over the next few weeks. Three people are already in line. I'll entertain a couple more. Please don't take it personally if I am unable to accommodate you at this time, as I really need to finish some other projects.

PM me or contact my email address on the website (see below for website link). Since I don't plan on coming here much, email is better.

Thanks again, and enjoy being possessed by The VVitch!

Rick
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
I would have to say - Bobby Hasbun’s Oraculum for sheer utility.
It just flat out works!
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Head's up. Someone asked me to make a VVitch for them and they ditched. So this last one is up for grabs. Contact me for the new paypal address. There are now 25 in the wild! I'm switching gears now so off on other projects. Get it while you can. And thanks to all those who ordered and considered The VVitch their favorite effect for 2017.
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
I get fantastic reactions from the seven deadly sins themed The Devil Always Knows. The cards look great and spectators eat up the subject matter. I don't leave home without it.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Alice Dopps by Prof BC
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Little Box of Spirits and The Artifactum, which is the centrepiece of a growing family of Artifactum products by Alchemy Moon. Combined with the new blue leather case, it actually looks like a real magic book, and with the upcoming Artifactum board/accessories, its a complete magic/mentalism ecosystem, like Kadar elite. I love the way these Alchemy Moon IPs are designed to bridge the gap between performance magic, mentalism/readings, and the possibility of creating really transformative, even transcendental moments for people that could be perceived as "magical."
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Just in time for your Halloween show and in case you missed it the first time around. I made another VVitch!

Seems people really like it. Here are some testimonials.

“VVitch is a terrific product. The props are very well made and look thoroughly authentic. The eerie VVitch photos on very heavy stock are quite suitably haunting without looking too bizarre. The box is very nicely made and could pass for something very old. I love the extended story idea, and the script added touch of the letters is a nice subtle way of “selling" or finalizing the spectator’s choice. All in all, well worth the money and a great routine to add to any séance or bizarre story-telling show.”
JIM KLEEFELD - OF SALEM AND CINEMA VERITE

I love it all: props (esp the pictures), effect and method. This is a complete and well thought out piece of dark delight.
THE WITCH HUNTER

"Gotta say, I wasn’t quite prepared for how good it is! Really well thought out, and the props are beyond compare. Super happy with this. Looks very practical, simple in execution, and designed for explosive effect. And I love the Heaven & Hell pendulum. Thanks again for a really superb product! This is a terrific piece of dark theater you’ve created here!!"
SETH PARKER

"I absolutely love the props, backstory, routine, and method. Really gonna enjoy performing this dark masterpiece and having it in my collection."
SEAN GEM

"This is as good as it gets! I received The VVitch and have had time to work with the prop and the story. Having a large collection of dark magic and being a dealer with Murphy’s Magic I see a lot. This is in the top 1% of GREAT PROPS! This story, apparatus and included items of mystery are unparalleled in logic, material construction, and grand storytelling. Mr. Darkness is to be commended for offering the community exquisite design, manufacturing and versatility in craftsmanship and story. This is also an incredible value. Easily worth $450 or more if sold via the standard channels. I recently had the opportunity to have a dinner with Mr. Darkness when he was visiting my town. I’ve been a customer of his earlier releases and I found him personally enchanting and above reproach as one of the leaders in the field of bizarre magic production and story.”
JONATHAN TODD - EXCELSIOR

"This prop is fantastic in every way! The look, feel, smell, attention to detail... all top notch and done with pride. And the effect is right up my dark alley, and the workings are perfectly simple so no need to be sidetracked by method when concentrating on telling a good story. ​I am more than satisfied with this purchase."
OZ

"You could really feel an air of disquiet in the room as I opened the box and carefully removed the candle and its holder, then the bag, then laid the four photographs out in sequence. A big, burly man with a pint in his hand who had been standing close watching actually stepped back saying, "I'm not doing this one!" This was before I'd even said a word about the effect. There's something about these props and those photographs that touches nerves in people and leaves them feeling like someone's walked over their grave. If you press ahead and release the remainder of the run of 50, I'd urge you not to change a thing. They are dark and foreboding without looking like something out of a horror movie. They touch deep fears and uncertainties rather than surface scares. You've gauged them exactly right in my opinion.

…Everyone was suitably discomfited. This wasn't a moment for applause, it was a moment of uncomfortable realization."
MICHAEL

"This weekend I was able to share The VVitch with some friends. It does so much more than I imagined. I don't know if it's the story, the pictures, handling of the hag stone, or what but this leaves a real emotional impact on the helper. It is very creepy and she will seem a little uneasy for the remainder of the evening."
JOSHUA ABRAHAM
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Heads up, this already was announced via FB and newsletter, but for all others:

It's official! Thanks so much to Vic Nadata at Gemini Artifacts for carrying my line of effects. More to come!

https://www.geminiartifacts.com/collections/mr-darkness
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Congratulations Darkness and Vic. In the world of the bizarre, two wrongs do make a right, so this is a very good thing.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Congrats Darkness !! & thank you, mo money to spend, but at least your worth it ! LoL
On a serious note though, good to see you & Vic on board !
Penduluminary
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Penduluminary
I'm a bit late to The VVitch party, however...

The VVitch has arrived. The story is disturbing... and the props are eerie, very, very eerie.

I will make time to re-read the story over and over to make it flow.

THIS is a fantastic piece of storytelling magic. One I aim to use.

Thanks Darkness!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Favorite Marketed Bizarre Effect of 2017 (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL