The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane - How safe is it to perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
The Magi
View Profile
New user
Boise, Idaho
7 Posts

Profile of The Magi
My partner Ken has an uncle with whom he toured as a kid. Ken is constantly recounting stories of his uncle Paul's routine. He had some real creativity in that routine -- and wasn't just your boring 10 - 15 second routine. He had all sorts of stuff in there, it's crazy. Ken does a version of that routine - and he does it to music. It's fantastic how much stuff you can come up and make it truly entertaining.

Something which really adds to the effect is the fact that we make our own dancing canes -- out of colored paper, which means they are REALLY light. You can use a 'smaller' gimmick. Ken has been able to get it down to 2, if that makes any sense without giving anything away... Actually, he has been able to go to a 1, but it breaks far too easily and then you have to fix it -- and that's certainly not safe in an audience.

Ken's uncle was able to dance around the audience members in broad daylight because I believe he only used a 1. Ken uses a size 2, and he can stand right in front of someone, and visibility is not affected a whole lot from that extra size up.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dangerous? Only if he bored members of the audience! CHARGE THE STAGE with swords drawn!! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1393 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
There is only one dancing cane worth it on the market.. Steven's Sells it..

It's called the Ulitmate Dancing Cane.. it's only slightly heavier than two ounces.. which means the secret is very very very thin..and can be done in almost any light..

and it looks like an old walking cane.. not a magician's prop..

Look on the stevens web site. What it doesn't say on the website is that the directions are AMAZING.. the late Gene Poinc said that the directions were better than he'd ever seen for any magic trick EVER.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22349 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The smallest gimmick will show up when strong lighting is involved. I once saw a young magician who came from Australia to attend the Abbott's Get-together, he walked most of the way.

He carried a Dancing Cane with him at all times. He perfromed on the lawn in front of the school and he was so good they asked him to perform in the showroom. It was very good, fast and magical. He used a click sound he made with his voice for his music like those piano player timing devices.

I believe he was hit by a car on his way home, but I retain his memory. He had a stong impact with his performance. It was not the gimmick you watched but his performance and the cane.

There comes a point: which is more important, fooling your audience or entertaining them? If you believe, so will they. This will transmit to your audience.

Play some music from the computer and start to move. Yes, as Pete Biro mentioned above, if you have no rhythm then take some dancing lessons. If you do, just get in the mood and practice and dance with your cane. If your wife looks at you funny, change partners! Smile
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I just bought a Losander Candle. Does it work the same way as the cane? Please advise.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Dmann is right. Dancing Cane 101 is a great resource of information. There is even a 201 coming soon.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Does anyone think The Dancing Cane and Disappearing Cane to Silks go together? The silk should hide the t-----. But will the r--- mess up the disappearance?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5723 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-01-07 23:08, Dynamike wrote:
Does anyone think The Dancing Cane and Disappearing Cane to Silks go together? The silk should hide the t-----. But will the r--- mess up the disappearance?

That's what the Fantasio Dancing Cane is. I used to perform it when I was in college.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you, Alan.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I was named a Gold Medal Finalist doing the cane. By the way, I used Precsion Magic's cane, and I took the time to get some 1 on1 time with David Mann to make sure I was top notch! It paid off too. Joe Turner commented in his review in the Linking Ring, that I performed some very innovative cane work. Thanks David!

Speaking of the Precision cane. It is by far the best I have used, and I've used a lot of different canes over the years! David's cane is sturdy. You can travel on a commercial airline without fear of it getting busted or bent. The gimmick is wonderful to use. It is easy and leaves you for all intents and purposes, clean if you wish. And the finish will not chip! A solid investment, cheap at twice the price.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
David, Your cane doesn't vanish or appear like fantasio's cane, right?

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
It does not. But, you could probably figure out some clever handlings to do either.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
The trouble with doing the vanishing cane with a Fantasio Product, to me seems to be if you do the silks for the effect they seem to throw the weight off of the cane and cause it to move erratically. I personally have done it but not after a lot of experimenting with how to make the silks stay where they belong.
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
How safe is it? Hundreds of magicians have died attempting to perform it.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Almost Amazing James,
You're kidding, right?
magician211
View Profile
New user
Key West, FL
63 Posts

Profile of magician211
I think I have nailed myself in the head a couple of times. I might get a concussion soon!
Christian
"Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination." Gene Wilder
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
Dmann, do you need to ask?
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Nope! Hundreds have been killed and mamed!
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
I personally like the Mikame Dancing Cane. It looks and feels like an elegant wooden walking stick. I like the fact that it is wood colored and not black. The Fantasio Version is nice but it is IMHO a little more involved to set up, because you have to extend the spring just right so that the gimmick sits at the right position to balance it. Of course the added effect of the cane disappearing is nice.
Pete is right about short, the audience gets it after a couple of second that the cane is dancing and there is no need to bore them with 30 seconds of it. I prefer if there is a reason for the cane. It makes sense when an elegantly dressed magician with top-hat and tails has an elegant wooden walking cane but when a kid in a t-shirt and shorts that seems to be fine on his feet has one it screams "out of place".
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I just wanted to jump in to let everyone know that Chris Compton one of my personal interest protege's (sorry if I didn't spell it right) just took second place in the Juniors Division at the Columbus Magi-fest convention. Needless to say I am very Proud of him! I rest my case on the Dancing Cane that can be done longer than 15 seconds. Christians routine is 7 minutes long to the second.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane - How safe is it to perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL