The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane - How safe is it to perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I was absolutely in love with a dancing cane I had gotten from England in the 70's. It weighed 2 oz. hollowed out balsa wood, heavily lacquered.
I performed it in 1983 at the Wilshire ebell in LA for the PCAM convention. Didn't know Peter Pitt was in the audience.
I was MC for the show, and introduced the set by making a comment as to how much I love this cane, you might say I've become rather attached to it. And that comment brought down the house. But, I swear that I had never said that before and didn't realize the joke until after I had said it.
That cane was so pefect, I could virtually stop it anywhere I wanted to.
I shattered it in a car door and never found another like it.
So, yes, it was a fatal attraction .....for the cane.
I believe whenever doing the cane, I allow it to "lead" as we dance, and I follow it. This allows me to compensate if a strong wind comes along.
Here is a video of a cane (home-made), that snapped on me during a show. We all screw up sometimes. It was a killer.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7RkkR-AdGQ
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I wound up purchasing the precision Magic Dancing cane along withtheir Cane 101 DVD. I can't be happier. Awesome moves and best of all, a PERFECTLY balanced cane.

McBrides DVD is also a nice supplement to Precision Magic's.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Update on my cane work with Precision Magic's Cane.

Last year I won the 2007 Magi-Fest Stage Competition with it, and have now been booked to returnthis year as the host of the Thursday Night show!

The Dancing Cane was the best investment (time & money) I have ever made.

As for being caught. I have pretty much eliminated that possibility. Lighting and movement conceal the gimmick, but some of the moves I do completely eliminate the possibility of the suspected workings. Even IF some 20/20 vision guy sees a glimpse, his beliefs will be destroyed by some of the moves, and decide he was wrong about the method.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I know.. this is a super old thread.. but I loved the title..

and with a 2 oz cane.. how can it possibly be dangerous?

http://wack-o-magic.com/wackomagic/Dancing_Cane.html
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I use to do this at Magic Mountain in Valencia, California in a outdoor theatre. I had my girl friend stand at different parts of the theatre to make sure the gimmick could not be seen. Also, I didn't use black, I used a purple gimmick. Then I painted the gimmick with different colors like camouflage. If you keep the cane moving, even if it's just a little bit, it should not be seen, but do take the precaution and do the pre-show work to make sure.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 06:30, magicians wrote:
Here is a video of a cane (home-made), that snapped on me during a show. We all screw up sometimes. It was a killer.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7RkkR-AdGQ

I am glad you survived by keeping the act alive. That makes you a hero.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane - How safe is it to perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.51 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL