The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne's Illusion book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I started a similar topic in the good, bad... but no one seems to care so I'll try it here. What is this book like? Is it a good one? What types of illusions are in it and how practical are they? Are there any good entrances or productions of the boss/Santa (whoever)? Any surroundable illusions? Anybody actually perform the illusions in the book? I've tried a search but couldn't find much on this book. Thanks for your help.

Soup
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Yes I've done some of these illusions. It's a practical book. But no exact plans. Only idea drawings. But very clear. 100 illusions are explained.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Plainman, could you describe some of your favorite illusions from the book?
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
I don't own the Illusion Book but I've heard it has a lot of great ideas. I do have his Illusion F/X book. It has a really great appearance of the magican for an opener that is completely surroundable. I have built one and I do use it. There is also a lot of other good illusions in it that I have built. Hope this helps.
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Magic soup. I don't have the book in my hand to give exact names but here are approximates

A Frame Mirror
Appearance From Sawhorse Board (like Copperfield in exploding building)
Bushido Blade

Lots of good material ideas. You can take them and weave your own presentation or equipment style and then make them.

Hope this helps.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Thanks guys (or girls?).

Soup
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
Yes, I am a guy.
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks for the info guys! Might just check this one out!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jeff Hayden
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hayden
It's worth it. I discovered a new concept in this book that I was unaware of. (imagine that) Smile

Anyway, it's full of ideas, designs and methods.
He leaves the specifics up to you. Which is how
it should be.

Many of the ideas you may already be familiar with
if you have Osborne plans or read much of Steinmeyer.

But the new concept I got from one of these illusions
will be worth many times the book price.

-JH
Did you see that?
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
Jeff,

I am in the process of re-vamping my stage show. I have always enjoyed and respected Mr. Maynes thinking. I do not use the conventional illusions such as the Zig-Zag etc. (nothing against them, I think they're great, they just don't fit my character).

My question is simple - is there more than one effect or usable idea in this book to warrent the purchase of it?

I have Solo-X and there are some great ideas in there as well, some that I may never use, but the book did spark some ideas that have lead to other illusions or presentations that I am currently using. Is this Illusion book along the same lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can lend.

P.S. For those of you reading this, No, I don't plan on doing a show comprised entirely of Andrew Mayne effects (but I do have to admit that I love his thinking!).
Jeff Hayden
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hayden
Hey Tommy,

Yes I have at least a dozen new ideas. Not necessarily that I learned a dozen entirely new concepts, but just different ways of thinking about things - I think he intended it as a tool to spark your own ideas and creativity.

To answer your question, for me, It has sparked a lot of new ideas and helped reminded me of old principles that had forgotten. Will you use everything? No, but it is easily worth the money IMO simply for the new ideas that you can take and put into other illusions.

Like you, I don't use much of the "standard" stuff either. I take a lot of concepts and link them together to make my own stuff. They say that's one of the keys to success but 95% of all "magicians" don't do it. HAHAHAHAH.

-JH
Did you see that?
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Just buy the book. If anything it will inspire you to think outside the box. In my opinion Andrew Mayne is an amazing thinker. I'm glad I stumbled upon his stuff because he has inspired my creativity and the principals he uses are a sound as any in magic. There is no speculation in the book with regards to I don't think that will work. It is all principally sound. You don't want plans, just the ideas. Because if you have plans, you will make the illusion not to your specs. Make your mock ups and you will end with a fantastic prop. This book also encourages to design in detail what you plan to build.
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be puchasing the book shortly.

I have to agree with you that Mr. Mayne is an amazing thinker. I have defended him many times as some folks think that he is "ripping off" old ideas. I just laugh as there really isn't that many "new" ideas, just re-worked ideas.

I am glad that there is still a few creative minds (like Mr. Mayne's) that are willing to share their creations with us.

Thanks again!
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2004-09-18 16:07, Jeff Hayden wrote:
It's worth it. I discovered a new concept in this book that I was unaware of. (imagine that) Smile

Anyway, it's full of ideas, designs and methods.
He leaves the specifics up to you. Which is how
it should be.

Many of the ideas you may already be familiar with
if you have Osborne plans or read much of Steinmeyer.

But the new concept I got from one of these illusions
will be worth many times the book price.

-JH

Jeff which Illusion had the new concept as I would like to check it out
Watercooler
View Profile
New user
England
81 Posts

Profile of Watercooler
I was seriously considering getting hold of one of Maynes illusion books but I heard that a lot of them are old ideas in disguise. Then again, what's new! If I do get one which would you guys recommend for the first purchase? I'd like to cover a broad range of ideas and principles, if possible.

Thanks!
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Tommy,

I do not mean to offend you in any way but there are more "new ideas" out there than most people care to imagine. Look at the creations of people such as Jim Steinmeyer and you will see what I mean. Besides, the creations we know of are just the tip of the iceberg...

Regards,

D
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
David,
No offense taken.

I am a big fan of Steinmeyer, and Osborne too for that matter. I guess I am just looking for as many resources as I can find.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne's Illusion book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL