The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How does my pass look? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheGrimReaper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of TheGrimReaper
I was just curious how the passes I know looked to you guys, and any tips you could give me would be appreciated Url: http://masteroftrix.tripod.com/
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
You don't need to cover it with so much arm waving. It looks more suspicious than anything else. If you want to cover it that way try using a more subtle rocking of the hands.

Also, I found this tip extremely useful: when doing the pass, your arms should not move above your wrists. Once you have this down, you can practice incorporating some other covers.

Try leaning in slightly and rotating your hands forwards while doing the pass. You'll find that you can do it quite slowly this way, provided it's smooth.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
TheGrimReaper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of TheGrimReaper
Thanks for the tips. I would say that I did use quite a bit of monkey swinging in that one. Smile I just happend to use that leaning foward, and wrists above arms tips today during a show for some friends. Worked beautifully. Thanks again. Also, did you watch the other clip, its a rather astonishing effect. I kinda slowed during the trick though so it looks shaky towards the middle, but that is overshadowed by the effect itself.
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
A few tips...
I. When passing, only use the wrist. Dont move the arms at all.
II. While passing, press down the bottom packet's front left corner with the right hand index finger. This tips the packet up, covering the entire motion. Jim Cellini showed me this a few weeks ago at his lecture in Bay City.
III. I tried to get a fast pass and succeeded. But, I now look back and realize that if I can misdirect enough, I can do a slow pass, un-noticed. I do a trick in LePauls book where I use a classic pass, double lift and turn-over pass. All of which are covered by misdirection.
Just experiment. The move is awesome, so learn it, and never forget it.
Cheers
-Casey
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
One piece of advice...

Relax! Your arms look as if you're shoulders are very tense in that clip, so practice while concentrating on relaxing. It sounds strange, but its a very big tell!

--Andi
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
hmmmmm

use the wrist? I'm not sure about that. That would be a big movement.

if you are classic passing then there should be no movement coming from the wrist. I pass with the deck in my right hand, so I use my left hand as the cover hand and my left thumb and index finger are a pivot point for the lower packet that ends up on the top. My Right pinky and ring finger lift the top packet and pull down while my right thumb contacts the bottom packet on the side and pulls down on the bottom packet and causes it to pivot upwards, so you have very little movement.

I don't see where the wrist comes into play.

what kind of pass are we talking about?

I can't see the clip cause it was unavailable.

And Andi is right about relaxing your shoulders. make sure your hands are at about waist level when you are going to do the pass. Try breathing out while you shift the packets and practice saying the alphabet so you don't break rythm while you are passing. I see this alot, a guy will be talking and then he's going to pass and he just pauses a little bit. it's a big tell. You know when most people are doing something cause they always stutter a little bit.

anyone else ever notice this?
TheGrimReaper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of TheGrimReaper
Thanks for the tips guys. I belive I have got my pass pretty well down now. I lean forward and use maybe an inch of arm movement, with a downward toss of the wrist. It works beautifully. Once again, thanks for all the tips.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Grim...

I believe that the only movements should be a natural movements that are needed in whatever task you are doing before and after the Pass. At the moment you are shaking the deck (as you described in your last post) - thats a very unnatural thing to do.

--Andi
TheGrimReaper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of TheGrimReaper
I see what you mean... I suppose leaning forward a bit would cover it fine and look more natural.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Lean backwards - it adds a lot more than leaning forwards. I actually go into this in a lot of detail in Passing Thoughts (the book that I'm currently working on) so won't take up too much time on it here...

When you lean forwards you create attention. If you have ever sat in a business meeting, you can really easily tell whether people are interested by what you say when they lean forwards - they're also normally the focus of the table's attention. If someone is leaning back, they normally loose that edge of attention.

When executing the pass you want to loose attention so lean backwards slightly. It also helps if you look upwards.

Like I say I discuss a lot of physical additions to the move in Passing Thoughts (which should be released in three or four months... hopefully less) and I truly believe that they make the Pass so much more deceptive - whatever method you use.

--Andi

P.S - When I have a moment I'll make a short video of some of the standard Passes (i.e. not my own... Classic Pass, Hermann Pass and perhaps Spread Pass) so you can see how I believe they should be executed. For a old version of my own Gameshow Pass take a look at http://www.asquaredproductions.com - I'll upload a newer video of the Pass soon.
TheGrimReaper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of TheGrimReaper
Wow. Nice videos on your site. I like the game show pass. Also the shadow pass. Brillant. When do you think that your passing note would be avalible. I would definatley purchase them. And I will be going on a trip for a week so i wont be able to post.
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I think it would look better if you would rock the deck slightly up and down instead of so much arm movement. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How does my pass look? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL