The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Download Directions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Bought a card trick from Penguin that I am not going to use and really dislike. The directions were a download only. If I want to sell the trick can I make a DVD of the directions and sell with the trick?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I don't believe so, but I don't know. Interesting question.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2110 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
You literally just described pirating a product.

Have you spoken to Penguin about it?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Thank you for your input Chris. I understand what I described, that is why I'm in the "right or wrong section." I have taken your advise and I have contacted Penguin, awaiting their reply. I want to be clear to everyone though.... I'm not upset with Penguin, they have delivered exactly what I bought. I just don't like it. I hope no one misses the spirit of which this is asked. When you buy a zig-zag do you get instructions? Of course you do, but how without using the Harbin book?
Almost all my library are books, DVDs and yes the dreaded VHS (which I have saved to DVD) for longevity. Recently I have bought 4 "download only" tricks. Interesting enough I have seen 2 of them for sale in our Café, including the one I would like to sell. I have also seen all 4 being sold on Facebook. I'm wondering how, the right way? I'm looking for an answer from some of the great minds we have here, not an opinion.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2110 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I got what you meant, don't worry. Sometimes we think it'll work for us, and it doesn't.

Personally I just take the hit in these cases as digital content is rarely authorized to be resold. Buyer beware, that sort of thing.

Generally Penguin has always treated me well if I had issues with a product.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of stempleton
This is one of the reasons I detest online instructions. Online dealers go under, accounts change (like mine did recently, resulting in chaos to my Penguin video section) and of course, selling my unused magic. I see this as cutting expenses for product developers, but it certainly doesn't do a lot of good for the end user. And here's a query: if you purchase the physical prop, and are able to resell it, why would you be prohibited from selling the instructions to it? And if so, are you able to type up your OWN instructions, if you were forced to?
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
You are hitting the nail on the head Stempleton. I go back to the Harbin book. Only 500 made, and the original zig-zag plans. For someone to sell the zig-zag they must've used (maybe rewritten) the Harbin's instructions.
These online instructions disappear, just like one of the four I have bought is now gone in cyber world. Glad I made a DVD for my own use, and downloaded a copy on the computer, which will not last forever either.
I am interested in what Penguin says, it I guess you could sell the original prop and make your own DVD for instructions.....still this seems too much.
So if all magicians start making downloadable instructions, will this cause no selling of used magic... I know this will never fully happen, but heck I also said VHS would be around forever and now you can't even find a player, should've stayed with beta....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26901 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you’re asking about ethical transfer of ownership, say between two user accounts similar to physical items... not really a problem as we already have atm banking.

But this is really a matter for publishers more than our secrets market.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
787 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I say "it depends."

If you bought a physical prop and the download is the instructions for using the prop in the routine, I would have no problem selling the instructions with the prop. And functionally, you can only sell it once in that scenario.

Where it becomes more interesting is when there is no prop and the downloaded method for a routine is the only thing you bought. Like buying the instructions for how to do a trick with a regular deck of cards. In that instance, what's to stop you from selling it a hundred times? Or a thousand? That's where I think it becomes ethically troublesome.

So, which is it? Prop with download instructions, or just the instructions for a method used with a generic prop?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
mantel
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:

It's okay when Ellusionist does it though, right?
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
It is definitely a prop with instructions. The prop is a deck of cards but a gaffed deck of cards only for this trick. Penguin has not answered my question yet.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2110 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2018, mantel wrote:
Quote:

This makes no sense.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

I guess the issue would be just doing a direct copy of the video footage - which clearly is someone else's work. The way round it would be to make your own set of instructions. I'm interested to see what Penguin say. I can't imagine they'll okay it.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
787 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2018, Magic_son wrote:
It is definitely a prop with instructions. The prop is a deck of cards but a gaffed deck of cards only for this trick. Penguin has not answered my question yet.

I would have zero problem with that. You're selling a gaff with instructions on how to use it. Useless without the gaff. So, I'd say go for it guilt free.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
mantel
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2018, mantel wrote:
Quote:

This makes no sense.

How so?

Quote:
On Jan 9, 2018, Terrible Wizard wrote:
I guess the issue would be just doing a direct copy of the video footage - which clearly is someone else's work. The way round it would be to make your own set of instructions. I'm interested to see what Penguin say. I can't imagine they'll okay it.

I thought he was making his own set of instructions. But I may not be right.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

If he's making his own instructions then theres no problem, afaik you cannot copyright instructions to a magic trick, only the actual wording/video footage.
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
I will give Penguin one more week to answer my question. And if they do not answer, I will take it as if they do not care if I sell it with a DVD copy.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2110 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Have you sent more than one email? Or tried the chat function on their page? A single email can get lost.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Here is the information of the email. On January 4 I sent this email "Hello, Just a quick question, I bought this trick and really do not like it, how do I sell the instructions with a download only instructions?" Of course the name of the trick was in the subject line.
I thought my question was clear, and to the point since they know this is a download only instructions. On January 9 they sent back a response saying that they are sorry that I did not like the trick but they do not exchange or return for people who do not like the trick.
On January 9 I responded with this, just in case I may not have been clear

Thank you for your reply ______, but I never wanted a exchange or return. I received exactly what I asked for, just isn't for me.
My question was if I wanted to sell the trick, how can I sell the directions without copying the download on a DVD. I was going to sell it on Facebook or Magic Café. I wanted to make sure I didn't break any copyright rules.

I will try to live chat with someone today, but not sure if my iPad will let me.
I think at this point waiting one more week is not only fair, but it is also shows on all sides that I'm trying to do the right thing. I still wonder if it is legally wrong when trying to sell a gaffed trick that only has downloaded instructions. OR instead of making a DVD just send them the download I bought via mail.....

I do,find this an interesting subject in a changing world of magic and the computer download world.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2110 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
You have certainly inspired some discussion and thought.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Download Directions (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL