The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Retention by David Roth video DOWNLOAD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

therealbrogilbert
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of therealbrogilbert
A beautiful classic vanish of a coin taught to you by the one and only David Roth. Even though there are hundreds of different vanishes and variations out there I still believe this one wins in the beauty department Smile The retention of vision aspect of this vanish will serve you well Smile

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=46404

Magic Warehouse:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/DX6404/Thevaultretention.html

Hocus Pocus:
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/prod/45858/Th......DOWNLOAD

Propdog:
www.PropDog.co.uk/Retention-David-Roth
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Just a MAJOR heads-up ... this is just an old clip available in one of David Roth's earlier tapes repackaged and sold as something new.

When I bought this I thought I was getting some commentary or discussion of David Roth's retention vanish, not just a re-sold 2 minute clip I already have.

Again, the technique is excellent, but you might already have this EXACT release on one of your other David Roth videos. If I'm right, this clip might be available as a download in the full original release for about $10 (for a full hour of material).

My only beef, is the re-packaging of already existing material for a price that isn't fair, based upon the cost of the original product.

I've seen re-releases of pieces of other DVD's, but they sell the piece for about $3 when the whole product sells for $30 ... and this clip is just over 2 minutes long.

Below is my review at Penguin for this product:

The technique is a wonderful classic, but I had to give this 3 stars, as I thought this would include some new content, at least a discussion.

This is the EXACT same video content as released on another David Roth release (I can't remember if it is his NY Coin Magic, or Stars of Magic). It is just the Retention Vanish portion released as 2 minute clip.

Again, the technique is great (and a classic), but do yourself a favor and purchased the original source.

If you already have the original material, you definitely won't need this.
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of jcroop
Definitely from the vault. Stars of Magic.

So much good stuff. I probably don't need to buy anything more....
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Had the original and must have dropped the coin 50-100 times while learning. Once you have it, you have it forever (kind of like riding a bike). It really is a fantastic vanish that's set within a very casual/'normal' movement.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
thecromulent
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
169 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Is this clip seriously two minutes?!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7505 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Absolute joke.
thecromulent
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
169 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Absolute joke.

Joke's on me--i bought it! Still, it surely won't be the worst $5 I've spent on magic.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1619 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I's a lovely vanish, no doubt about it. BUT...

This "retention of vision" malarkey. This thing that we all say and repeat to one another: "the brain retains an image of the coin..."

It is, surely, absolute cast-iron ******** isn't it? Has ANY proof been offered anywhere that this is what happens? I think it's amusing that we magicians so happily swallow this bit of nonsense.

(I am happy to be proved wrong, of course. Over to you surgical ophthalmologists...!)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Hi Ross,

“Retention of vision” is another term for “afterimage,” for which there has been a lot of research. See, for example, this link. It’s the reason that: animation is effective; you can make a pencil look like it’s made of rubber; you see spots and will be temporarily “blinded” after looking at a camera flash; and, the shrinking and growing head illusion (after staring at a spinning spiral) works...just four examples.

Larry
ltchip
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of ltchip
Agree with the principle but really disappointed on this repackaging bits and pieces from former larger works (that are still available) game...buyer beware I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Retention by David Roth video DOWNLOAD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL