The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Just A Thought by Gaz Lawrence (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
This is just to inform everyone who showed an interest in my just a thought card effect that I have been doing for over 2 years. I have decided to shelve the plans to release it . After signing a contract with Mark Mason after showing him the effect 52/1 then beat us to the market place . It was a tough decision as my method although achieved the same result has a different method and was independantly created but we both came to the same conclusion that it was unfair to both Wayne Fox and David Penn to be in direct competition over what is primarily the same effect . Yes there are 3 key differences but the real independently created piece of genius Wayne beat me to the market place on this one . So I could of gone it alone but decided it would be unethical and so although I didn’t have to but I bought the rights back off Mark as I think that is only fair and they will lay dormant right now . I hope that pleases Wayne and David and I wish them every success with what is a great principle . 10,000 decks had been printed so it’s not a decision I took lightly but I believe it is the right one and life is not all about money . Happy New Year too you all and sorry to the 200 plus private sales I had of these via email Tarik aka Gaz 🙂
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Sorry to hear that. It was definitely a tough decision to make. What are you going to do with the gimmick decks??
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Christian has the decks at card shark so I never had to buy them that was all his undertaking . I can buy then off him at cost but then what will
I do with them . It’s a nuisance all round but no one knew a similar effect was coming out before Blackpool . It’s a shame as so many cube effects are coming out now that are identical and no one minds but when something is method different it then creates issues if you release so its hard for me to get my head round it now . I see Wayne Dobson released a blatant lethal tender rip off and no one says anything and someone like myself who was doing something differently 2 years prior gets agrevation for improving something . Anyway never mind it’s a funny industry with a hierachy 🙂
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
So card shark has 10k decks he made for you? You never had to pay for them?
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
That’s a really sad situation...I can see your point about ethics and I admire that but like you said, there are so many rip off effects being released that it’s not fair to just pick on individuals like yourself. I’m even more gutted knowing that the decks were going to be produced by cardshark because apart from Wayne and David’s release every normal and gimmicked deck I own is a cardshark deck so it would have fitted in very well with my card set. I really do hope that you can revisit this again in the future, just because someone got theirs to market first does not mean that similar ideas can’t be looked at..it’s not as if the 5221 deck has a patent on it....when I go to the supermarket I prefer to buy Heinz baked beans and not Tesco’s own baked beans. Surly we are allowed to have a choice.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes Christian does but I never instructed him to produce them I sold the rights to Mark who was getting them made and it was only after that I knew he was going down the Phoenix route and this meant Christian . It was a decision we all very reluctantly decided to take between us in the end . I am sure Christian can sell these decks in time as they were not fully gimmicked only the printing stage was done . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I agree Aceface and I was doing this effect a long time before and all but one element was different so I still felt it fair game to release . However not all other dealers when money is involved take things the same way and for some it could do more harm than good to their future business . If the shoe was on the other foot I would be a bit annoyed if I am being honest but not when as I say I was doing my version 2 years prior . Anyway I have moved on now and given Mark the monies back for the contractual rights which he never once pressed me for as a contract is a contract but I wanted to do the right thing there as well as Mark is a very good friend of mine Tarik 🙂
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
A real shame, was looking forward this!

Kieran
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
So was I Kieran , I have 2 excellent new creations and it makes me wonder whether to go it alone with them from the start . As one is something every close up magician in the world would want I have to make the right call on this one and hopefully I do Tarik . Have a great new year everyone 🙂
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
This is a real shame! I don't understand if the method is different why they aren't allowing you to publish this?

Sleepy
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I can Sleepy but it would cause Mark more harm than good and I am sure lesser people would have gone a head no question . It has one element the same and 3 big differences but the one core element is mutual creativity and Wayne got to the market place before me . Another factor hence I was giving a supplement package with my 100 was that for ease of producing for Mark so he tweaked it slightly more which pushed it that little bit closer to theirs which isn’t the way I do it but they are a chore ( my decks ) to produce in my actual creation but it’s better imo and shifts it like I say that bit further from it’s rival . It has only been people probably emailing Mark that has made him halt it no other reason as I told him about it’s rival 52/1 on my very first video to him and before we made a contract . Anyway I am not money oriented Mark is a very good friend of mine and I can see he doesn’t want any affect on his great name and products . As dissapointing as it is I think for everyone’s sake it’s ethicallly right best wishes Tarik / Gaz 🙂
granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
I was so wanting to get this
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of jcroop
Tarik,

Would you ever consider putting this out as a single item manuscript or as part of a compendium with other effects?

Then you are not in direct competition.

Jim
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
So christian is just going to take the hit on 10,000 specially printed decks? That seems either really bad business or highly improbable.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I’ve heard this will be a Cardshark exclusive.
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
I do hope card shark releases this....👏👏
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
246 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
I’ll ask Christian about it at The Session this weekend
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
If the method is different then it'd be fine to release. How many different methods for Out Of This World, Card To Clear Box, Invisible Thread levitations are there out there?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Mandy I know and I would have released myself but it’s just not cost effective . The dealers who would and was going to release it only haven’t done because of world magic shop . Most other dealers wouldn’t have moaned but the dealers who want to release it don’t want the hassle or any arguments affecting the sales of their other products . The decks are very expensive to produce and the effect is the same as 52/1 but with a different method but to mass produce these on my own would end making the effect retail at £50 for an effect which would have been £30 / £35 . Anyway it’s water under the bridge now I have moved on 🙂
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Is there anywhere a video of you performing your own version? Just to know what we miss.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Just A Thought by Gaz Lawrence (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL