The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Gypsy monte by Paul Wilson -- details of his replacement for the alignment move (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Dear Magicians,

I just happened on Gypsy Monte on the web and loved it. I was pleased to discover that I already own the DVD on which Wilson performs and teaches the trick. But he goes through the explanation so fast that I'm having trouble following the moves. (I've been studying magic for under two years. I've been practicing the small packet DL for Color Monte, so *that* helps a bit...) Does anyone know of detailed, written instructions?

Some threads here suggest that Wison explained his Gypsy Monte in some lecture notes, but I haven't been able to track them down. He also marketed the effect, but I can't find that either. On Penguin it's listed as out of stock, and one reviewer seemed to hint that the instructions weren't very detailed.

I imagine I can get most of the sleights by watching the dvd over and over, but I thought someone might at at least know a reference for what Wilson calls the "tres arriba" count, which he says is more natural than the usual alignment move. He says he discovered the move but later found that J K Hartman had discovered it before him. So... Does anyone know what Hartman called the move and where he published it?

Failing all that, a brief PM describing the move would be appreciated.

Thanks for whatever help people can offer.

Regards,

Bob
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hey Bob,

If it's the same thing, he released a separate trick with Tarot cards and written instructions. I'd have to go through the instructions to be sure. I had heard it was going to be updated and released with new cards, but nothing yet.

Tom
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Tom. I'm sure it's the same thing. If you ever have time to look at the instructions, I'd be curious whether he goes into any detail on his "Tres Arriba" false count.

Bob
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Bearing in mind that the small packet double,( which is almost self working with three cards ), is the only sleight you need in order to perform the "Tres Arriba" count, just relax, re-run the explanation on the DVD ( which is more than adequate ) and you should have no trouble learning it.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Nicholas. I wasn't clear to me the DL was the heart of the count. My three-card DL is reasonably good, so I'll take your advice.

Bob
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Beginning Count:

Start with the card you're going to convince the audience there is two of in the MIDDLE of the stack, and the other card last in the stack, with the Finale card on top. (Audience doesn't know about the finale card until the end. Dl completely the main card and lift it off the pile and show it as one card with right hand. Hold the other single card in deep grip so no one sees its just one card.
Replace the double face down on top. Now slide top card to the right and take it with the right hand. Us it to flip over the middle card, which is actually the main card. Say "Two of these". This very convincingly shows the audience two of the same card, which we will call the "main" card. Turn it back over with the right hand card assisting flipping it over, and then merge those two cards into a stack. Show the last card singly. Put it all together, then do a fan of three, and take out the Main card and talk about it. Then place it on top.

Main Count:

1. Single card turned over: show the main card.
Then take two cards (as if they were one) and place them on the bottom (of just one card).The main card you just showed is now in the middle.

2. DL two cards as one to show the same (main) card again. (the fact that there are only 3 cards makes pushing off two at once easier than a normal DL).
Turn down both cards as one and lift off a card singly and place it on bottom.

3. Now turn over just the top card and again show the main card. You have now shown all three cards to be the main card.
One great aspect of this count is that the main card can be shown as single at the beginning and end of the count because the double lift is in the middle of the count (very ingenious)

Repeat this count for the OTHER card.

Then finally reveal the finale card.

I only can write this out quickly because I've been doing the routine for years. It's a great routine and the moves are easier than normal DL's and man it's great.
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
My story for this trick is different than R. Paul Wilson's and is as follows (I do kids shows, so I didn't like the death card representational aspect).

I use Ace of Cups, Fool, and Magician (as the finale card) from the Tarot deck.

The story explains this is the origin of the 3 card Monte. A Magician did it as a trick and a performance, and an evil gambler named Monte, stole the idea and used it to swindle people.

I explain the rules of the game (two cards the same one different, and I do the Beginning Count).The game used two fools (which became Jokers, later in history) and the holy grail of cards: the Ace of Cups, which would later become the ace of spades.

The evil Gambler Monte would swindle people like so. He'd say "Just bet one gold coin on the first card being the ace of cups". And they would, (do step 1 of the main count). Then he would convince them to double their bet to two gold coins on the second card (do step 2 of the main count) but they would lose again. Then the poor sap would put all their money on the third card (Do step 3), sure that they'd win as they'd already seen the other two cards, but then they would lose again.

Now place the card which is the ace of cups on the top of the pile (without showing it).

One day the Magician confronted Monte and challenged him to a game, of what was now derisively called "Three Card Monte". The Magician was angry that Monte used his nice magic trick to swindle people.
Monte, knowing that there were two fools and one ace of cups, stated slyly "Very well, I will bet that the top card is the fool". (do step 1) but it was the ace of cups. "Very well, then the second card is the fool" (Do step 2),

But he was wrong again. Finally Monte screamed "The third card!" (Do step 3), but it was again the Ace of Cups.

Finally the magician showed one card, "Monte this is the fool", and the other card "This is the Ace of Cups". "If you can tell me what this third card is, you win, but if you can't, then you'll be cursed forever because of your evil deeds." Monte was confused "Um... the ace of cups. No. no... the Fool."

"Sorry Monte it's neither the Fool, nor the Ace of Cups. Because although you may be a great gambler, I'm THE MAGICIAN".

(turn over Magician Tarot card)!

There's one other count Paul does in the effect, which is another convincer. It's not necessary to the routine, but I'm not going to reveal it here. You'll just have to buy his DVD!

If you only have a regular deck of cards, you can instead use a joker, the Ace of spades, and the King of diamonds. Change the story to the idea that a kindly king came up with a trick to amuse the court, and that an evil duke named Monte stole the idea to swindle people. Monte is summoned before the King to answer charges of larceny, and the end tagline is instead "You may be a great Gambler, but I'm the King!"
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for taking so much time to explain this and to relate your story, m-by-m. I posted my query so long ago that I didn't expect to get a further reply. I like your story and the way you've softened it while still keeping it engaging. I'll go through your description of the handling -- this will be a big help. As I noted in my OP, I do own the DVD.

I have a story of my own that goes with the traditional color monte routine. I use the colorful diamond cards, but I make the third card, the last to be revealed, a joker (instead of the green $14 card). I describe how, when I was a kid, a fellow (fictionally) tried to fleece me with three-card monte, but in the end, I told him no one owed anyone anything because the whole thing was just a big joke. What do you mean, a joke, he says. It's no joke to me, it's how I make my living. Just look at the card, I replysay. And of course, it't the joker. The story doesn't make logical sense -- how would I have sneaked the joker into the packet ?-- but it doesn't seem to matter.

Bob
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
There is a third way of showing a single money card as all three cards in your hand.

Have the money card in the position where it is on the bottom of your two other cards.Hold the packet face down in your left hand.

Rotate the packet 360 degrees clockwise as you show the money card is on the bottom. Immediately at the end of the rotation double bottom revolve two cards to the top. In the process of doing this it will just seem that you are showing this same money card face that they glimpsed a second ago. This bottom double will end up face down on top of the packet.

Then immediately strip off the top and the bottom cards with your right hand and at the same time transfer the middle card to the bottom with your left hand.Them replace the former bottom card back on top of the former middle card. You should now be in the position where you have a double in your left hand (of which the bottom card is the money card) and a single card in your right (which is assumed to be the money card you have just shown a second ago).

Then flustration show the double to show what seems to be two money cards. I undertake a horizontal flustration show where I turn over the cards to the right to the face up and then away from my body to the face down. I prefer this to undertaking a regular vertical flustration show as the larger motion better disguises this sleight.

Practice this so that you can do it smoothly and swiftly.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks so much, Andy, for taking the time to write out this description. I look forward to trying it. I apologize for not responding sooner; I just noticed this in my inbox.

Best Regards,

Bob
balbec
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of balbec
I used to do do this trick, but eventually, I did not find the story as good as the effect. This makes it much better, for kids and adults as well! Thanks a lot: I will try it again!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Andy,

I'm having trouble following your description. Would you have time to give a bit more detail, here or in a PM? You write: "
Rotate the packet 360 degrees clockwise as you show the money card is on the bottom." Is the rotation across a vertical axis (parallel to the hand) or a horizontal one? And I'm wondering if you meant 180 degrees? I'm not seeing how to rotate the packet a full 360 degrees. After that, I guess you rotate the bottom two cards as one so that they end up at the top. Anyway, this is an intriguing-sounding method, and if you can get me through the first few moves I hope I can reconstruct the rest.

Thanks,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Gypsy monte by Paul Wilson -- details of his replacement for the alignment move (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL