The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vocal bands. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is a thing we have been working on for the better part of a decade. We have gone through many incarnations of this idea, and the idea is not mine in the least. Vocal bands have been about and around for a long time. First one I saw was in 1998 at a NACA convention. It was called "Where's the Band" and it was quite good.

The idea is that there is no band, just voices. No backing tracks, no instruments, and no drum machines. In our case every sound on the video is just 5 human voices live. The concept has always fascinated me as a producer and I have been trying to get it done for a long time as I said. We have just run into various problems, none of which matter.

I have several problems with the concept in general. First is song selection. I am tired of seeing the same things done the same way. (Just like magic huh?) I am 51. Classic Rock is what I grew up with and wanted to do that genera. Problems being that the kids don't really get what that is, and want to make it a capella friendly. I wanted to keep the "feel" of a Classic Rock not only song, but show. Not easy to do.

The other problem is that it is tough to get that without "help". In the form of serious mic mixes, and added effects. I wanted this to be pure. NOTHING but 5 human voices. Again not easy. Actually it starts at moderately difficult and ends at borderline impossible.

Long story short (Yea right.) I have 5 guys this year that are just superb. 4 of them can actually do the vocal percussion. (Drums.) The Bass singer can cover the lead when needed, the Baritone can cover Bass. I can not believe the different sounds that can come from one group with nobody in their traditional rolls. It really is fun.

So here is this video. It is shot with a cell phone so the microphone that picks it up is just that. Not from a mix at all. As a matter of fact there is no microphones used. The show was outside, it rained HEAVY, and this is everyone when they wanted them to do even more. NO mics, NO mix and just 5 human voices. It is NOT perfect. But it is darn good and I am darn proud of these 5 guys. They have been doing this particular show since only October. They were friends, but we made them a group. It has been a great time, and will continue to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh4USFxw3lM

Enjoy please. If you hate me, no biggie. But these guys don't deserve any of that heat. They are great kids. Personally and professionally. Each and every one of them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Genre.

Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok how did that slip past spell check?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
"Genera" is a word: it's the plural of "genus".

And the style you're capturing is a cappella.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok so it is a word. I thought I was being a bad influence on my computer. My evil can spread. It is not pretty.

I am a much better producer than speler. (That was done for comedy.)

It is also a foul on the computer because that is the word it changed it to.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Nice Danny although I'd love to here a studio recording without all the background noise and talking to really appreciate them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes that is on the way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes like that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Cool Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Danny,

Obviously very talented vocalists. Maybe the mic on the phone is the culprit, but I didn't hear any of the dramatic instrumentation (reproduced by vocals) from that tune in the performance. Do you believe you achieved your goals of keeping the feel of a classic rock song and show? Again, understanding the recording source could be a major hindrance in capturing part of that.

I found the song choice outstandingly predictable. Your build up gave me such promise.

I'm interested in hearing a version of a classic rock song which isn't so very heavily a cappella in its original form.

Did I understand you to say that kids today don't understand classic rock?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes the microphone on the phone is the culprit. Which is why I wasn't going to post it. The bass vanishes, the precision is lost. But it wasn't lost on the audience.

And I make no statements about todays youth. Only about our working process with these 5 individuals.

And by the way you have fallen into the trap. This song was NOT heavily a Capella in the original form. It seems as if it was but that song was so heavily produced they Queen rarely did it live and almost never without lots of baking tracks. Few grupos try this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I thought that Queen didn't do it live because Freddie Mercury did ALL of the vocal tracks himself (including the backing tracks).
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
They sang it,...
like Queen sang it.
If I want to hear Queen sing it,
...I'd listen to Queen.

Their 'movement',
especially in the begining,
is goofy.
,,...not believible.
Turns off.

Good voices.,..
a seemingly good range,
as a group.
But(!),.. what makes a 'great group',
is a 'great' range.
Either,...a little bit 'higher',..
or a little bit 'lower'.
An 'exceptional' voice on either end.

I would advise:
1.) Original songs.
2.)Hold back on the 'acting',...
let it develope by itself.
Hold back.
3.) Take some chances with the voices on either end.
With men,..I would go high. It impresses.

4.) They've got to put in the work.
After they've a fresh repertoire,
getting 'em singing,.. a lot.
There's little 'luck', in the Music Business.
It's work.

gallagher
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow. I'm sorry you thought I was asking for your advice.

I was posting 5 guys singing after a rain storm. Which the audience, who paid, loved.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Danny,

Yeah there seemed to be no base and probably some of the high was clipped off, too. Anyone who records on phones will notice these earmarks.

BTW Bohemian Rhapsody starts out a cappella and clings to that vocal harmonization style at several points. That is what I intended to communicate, but yes, technically only small parts of it are truly a cappella. It is also a VERY common choice for heavy vocal arrangement performances.

Anyhow... Did you hear about the Spanish group that did Flamenco tunes all in vocal? They performed aca Paella.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nice! My wife being Spanish Paella jokes work well.

But it is funny you bring that up. One of the things we are working on (Even though Classic Rock is the basic theme.) is the Bolero. The way it builds is just pretty amazing all by itself. Done with voices it is really fun. Done with dancers it is a showpiece.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
And you get to display your cornrows. 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Hey, I enjoyed it! The human voice is the most important instrument. The great jazz saxophonist Dexter Gordon said that he always thought about the voice and lyrics of a song to pattern his solos around. He imagined a person singing, even if there were no vocalists! Kudos, Danny, for some pleasant listening. Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vocal bands. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL