The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Post-show effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
Hi everybody!

For sometime now I ve been performing a full-length mentalism act (close-up). I do PK, CTs, cold reading, duplications, predictions, cards etc. The only effect that I think have to include in my act is something that will have its effect after the show.

I ll give you an example...
when I was a pure card magician I used to load the signed ambitious card to the pocket of a member of the audience, after the routine was over and I had apparently torn it... so when he got home and took his jacket off or even the next morning he would find the card and have this feeling of astonisment once again...

That is what I am looking for to complete my act.
The twist in the tail... you walk away from the movie theatre and suddenly you think "..no way.. was that so... yes it was... I have to watch it again"

Of course you can do this in mentalism with coldreading (cod/warm whatever) but I am looking for something more surefire and accurate. and ideally that would have its effect close to the performance.. not days or weeks later... unless if the effect is that strong!!

Do you have any ideas? is there anything written about that?

let me know!
thanks
M I C

PS.. While I was writing this I thought that the effect could be on the lines of a headline prediction of tommorows newspaper...that they take home and they open next morning... but how could you do that?
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Banachek does something very similar.
He has a participant remove a coin from their change and focus on it, telling them that it will bend if they concentrate hard enough (or words to that effect).

When they open their hand, the coin remains unchanged.
Ah well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
However, later on that day, the same person removes their change and finds a bent coin...

I agree with you, MIC, it's a lovely thing to think about - affecting someone after you have left, and it has the potential to be something extremely powerful.
Hello.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
This is very good MIC and, I must admit, something I hadn't even thought of.

Thanks, Stephen, for remoinding me of the Banachek effect. I'd completely forgotten about that, and it plays so strong.

Another couple of things you could do would be to load the pocket of the spectator with a folded up piece of paper with something like the following on it:-

"I'm sorry to trouble you, and because of the personal information written on this paper, I didn't want to reveal it in public. But.... I got the impression that your PIN number was ****. Regards, Marcus Blake, Thought Reader"

The above was just off the top of my head. However, if you can gain some personal information from the spectator that you could reveal in this way, it would be a powerful effect.

Another thought, is that you could get a card prediction wrong during the performance, brush it off and continue with your show. When the spectator gets home and empties their pockets, they could find your business card on which it is written "Sorry about earlier, but I really did know that your card was the Three of Clubs!"

Just a couple of ideas.

I think that this could be a really powerful thread. What do others think?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3444 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 06:45, migit61 wrote:
This is very good MIC and, I must admit, something I hadn't even thought of.

Thanks, Stephen, for remoinding me of the Banachek effect. I'd completely forgotten about that, and it plays so strong.

Another couple of things you could do would be to load the pocket of the spectator with a folded up piece of paper with something like the following on it:-

"I'm sorry to trouble you, and because of the personal information written on this paper, I didn't want to reveal it in public. But.... I got the impression that your PIN number was ****. Regards, Marcus Blake, Thought Reader"

excellent idea!

I once read of a post show effect using invisible ink, the performer asked the spec to write down something in their life that was worrying them. no one ever saw the paper, it was put away in the specs pocket or wallet.....
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
In Weerd Enough by Knepper there is an item called Pocket Cloud Busting with related ideas that definately meet your criteria for an effect that keeps on working after the show is over.
Nicholas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Post-show effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL