The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do you use the forks in a restaurant? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I would like to do some fork bending (using techniques from Liquid Killer and Psychokinetic Silverware) in my restaurant gigs. But at the place I perform regularly they have very expensive and very, very, solid cutlery. I read about the forks Worldmagicshop sells, but I wonder if I could justify using a fork I brought myself. Do any of you bring your own forks? And if so, what do you tell people? For the guys that use the restaurants' forks: do you promise the manager to bend everything back neatly before you leave? How do you negatiate about this? Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
otreboR
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
262 Posts

Profile of otreboR
I would use my own forks.
You let them check your own fork(s) and in the end let them keep the bend fork as a souvenir.
This is also the reason why you bring your own forks, because otherwise the manager has to change the menu after a while.

STARTER: SOUP
MAIN COURSE: SOUP

Check: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......-holder/
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
HAHAHA! Thank you, otreboR, you made me laugh out loud with that joke! That might actually work really well, I'll try that. Much appreciated!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Don't do it at your restaurant gigs. The obvious difference between your special special thin forks and the restaurant's silverware sitting right in front of them is paramount to exposure.
People aren't stupid. Do coin bending instead.

or

Disregard my post and go buy one of those silly fork holders
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I would actually disagree with you there. People can see and touch the forks and that makes what subsequenlty happens to them still quite magical. And because they are not stupid they will also understand that while you make a joke out of it, you actually mean it when you say you can't use the restaurant's cutlery for this, destroying expensive forks and spoons.
Coin bending IMO is not nearly as strongly visually as fork bending, because coins are so much smaller. Even with the finest devices you van only bend really small coins. I live in Holland, that means 20 Eurocents is the biggest coin you can bend. It's tiny. Plus there's no real possibility for a multi-phase routine. It's a "one-and-done" thing.
If you think the fork holder is silly... I'm a dad of a two-year old. I don't mind being silly Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
First off damaging the place that you work at silverware could be a problem? That is unless you buy some of their silverware. So first I would buy some of the silverware they use from them. Go to the GM and ask to buy some they may even give use some. Problem one solved. For problem two you will have to learn some the extreme bends used in our art that allows you to bend strong silverware. I believe they are in the works you mentioned.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Hmm. Interesting point, Senor, thank you. Didn't think of that. The silverware there is really, really strong, but I guess some bends are possible. Are you suggesting that after a gig you bend everything back for the next gig? Because otherwise it would become far too expensive! I have no experience with that, it seems to me the silverware would start too look a bit "out of shape". Any thoughts on this? Or even better: experience with it?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Fabuloso is absolutely right. Even if you can use the restaurant's silverware, don't. I had a restaurant manager actually get mad at me when I used his spoon. The kick to that was that he actually brought me the spoon and challenged me, then got all mad when I did it and said "Now you owe me $5." LOL.

Btw, do not use gimmicked silverware. Use regular, everyday stuff and you'll get much better results from it.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Haha, did he really do that after challenging you? What a loser... Any witnesses must have been on your side, then Smile.

Quote:

Btw, do not use gimmicked silverware. Use regular, everyday stuff and you'll get much better results from it.


By "gimmicked", do you mean the forks from WMS? (technically they're not gimmicked of course, they're just easily bendable)
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
659 Posts

Profile of ed wood
I'd give fork bending a miss full stop. It's been done to death by magicians and is no longer seen as genuine or mentalism but just another magic trick. A 5 second search on google will reveal exactly how to bend forks, or sell you the hundreds of instructional dvd's released in recent years on how to do it.
If I was to do it I would do it seemingly impromptu and would therefore have no choice but to use the cutlery on the table. Carrying your own forks is weird and screams magic trick!!!!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Yeah, Google is a real problem... But in the restaurant I work in the crowd is usually 35 plus, so not the generation that starts Googling everything instantly. I still think it's very strong when done well. As far as genuine mentalism is concerned: I don't believe in that approach anyway, unless you have/play the right persona for that. Guys like David Blaine and Criss Angel have that freaky stare about them which makes it work. But most guys look just like nerds who take themselves way too seriously, IMO.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2018, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
[...]
Coin bending IMO is not nearly as strongly visually as fork bending, because coins are so much smaller. Even with the finest devices you van only bend really small coins. I live in Holland, that means 20 Eurocents is the biggest coin you can bend. It's tiny. Plus there's no real possibility for a multi-phase routine. It's a "one-and-done" thing.



Well, doesn't the fact that coins are tiny make the effect far stronger? Because you couldn't just bend a coin by hand?

And also, what is wrong with a "one-and-done"-thing, as you call it?

You are BENDING METAL WITH YOUR MIND!
That is a F-ing Miracle! If you do balloon-animal style fork bending, that just diminishes the effect and renders it trivial, in my opinion...
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
659 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Yeah, Google is a real problem... But in the restaurant I work in the crowd is usually 35 plus, so not the generation that starts Googling everything instantly. I still think it's very strong when done well. As far as genuine mentalism is concerned: I don't believe in that approach anyway, unless you have/play the right persona for that. Guys like David Blaine and Criss Angel have that freaky stare about them which makes it work. But most guys look just like nerds who take themselves way too seriously, IMO.


You're aware neither of them are mentalists right?
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, ed wood wrote:

You're aware neither of them are mentalists right?


You're aware that that's beside the point I'm making, right?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Alexxander wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2018, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
[...]
Coin bending IMO is not nearly as strongly visually as fork bending, because coins are so much smaller. Even with the finest devices you van only bend really small coins. I live in Holland, that means 20 Eurocents is the biggest coin you can bend. It's tiny. Plus there's no real possibility for a multi-phase routine. It's a "one-and-done" thing.



Well, doesn't the fact that coins are tiny make the effect far stronger? Because you couldn't just bend a coin by hand?

And also, what is wrong with a "one-and-done"-thing, as you call it?

You are BENDING METAL WITH YOUR MIND!
That is a F-ing Miracle! If you do balloon-animal style fork bending, that just diminishes the effect and renders it trivial, in my opinion...


I don't think the fact that coins are harder to bend makes it that much stronger. I think it's the optical bends that are the strongest. That's why I'm not crazy about coin bends, lots less optical stuff to do. If you look up video's on the net you'll see surprised smiles most of the time when people see a coin is bent. And then it's over. (I'd be happy to see some better video's, I looked around only shortly). When they see a multi-phase fork bend routine the reactions are much stronger. That's why I like fork bending better. I never said there's anything wrong with a one and done thing, I just think it's less fun to do.
But again: show me a good demonstartion of a coin bend routine and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
659 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Alexxander wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2018, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
[...]
Coin bending IMO is not nearly as strongly visually as fork bending, because coins are so much smaller. Even with the finest devices you van only bend really small coins. I live in Holland, that means 20 Eurocents is the biggest coin you can bend. It's tiny. Plus there's no real possibility for a multi-phase routine. It's a "one-and-done" thing.



Well, doesn't the fact that coins are tiny make the effect far stronger? Because you couldn't just bend a coin by hand?



And also, what is wrong with a "one-and-done"-thing, as you call it?

You are BENDING METAL WITH YOUR MIND!
That is a F-ing Miracle! If you do balloon-animal style fork bending, that just diminishes the effect and renders it trivial, in my opinion...


I don't think the fact that coins are harder to bend makes it that much stronger. I think it's the optical bends that are the strongest. That's why I'm not crazy about coin bends, lots less optical stuff to do. If you look up video's on the net you'll see surprised smiles most of the time when people see a coin is bent. And then it's over. (I'd be happy to see some better video's, I looked around only shortly). When they see a multi-phase fork bend routine the reactions are much stronger. That's why I like fork bending better. I never said there's anything wrong with a one and done thing, I just think it's less fun to do.
But again: show me a good demonstartion of a coin bend routine and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.


The point you seem to be missing here is that you are in the mentalism part of this forum. We discuss mentalism here. You are discussing magic tricks, everyone else is discussing......... you've guessed it, mentalism. Bob Cassidy, (you've heard of him right?), spoke a lot about the trivialisation of mentalism, you are the epitomy of the point he was making.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
From 1978 to 1994 I regularly worked doing magic and mental magic in restaurants in the US, Korea, Japan, and a few other countries. From experience, I can tell you that the restaurant will not like the bending of silverware, yours or theirs.

The issue is that you damage, or appear to damage the silverware, bent silverware is taken home by the guest, or disposed of. Also, people at the tables will test the silverware to see how difficult it is to bend, as well as some who will bend spoons and forks as an imitation to what you did. As a result, there is a loss of silverware.

As entertainers, we are hired to entertain guests, buy staff time, and create the image of additional value, not cost the restaurant money.

Tony
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks for sharing that, Tony! Highly appreciated! Especially the part that guests will start trying it themselves makes perfect sense... . Darn... didn't think of that yet.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
The point you seem to be missing here is that you are in the mentalism part of this forum. We discuss mentalism here.


So it took you three rather condescending posts to point this out to me? And you hijacked an interesting and lively exchange of ideas of several people in doing so? It would have sufficed to ask me to move the thread to another forum, Ed. I would have happily done that for you.

quote]
....you are the epitomy of the point he was making. [/quote]

So very quick to judge someone! Is that too much confidence in your capabilities as a mentalist? Or is it maybe "trivialism of good manners, etiquette and respect"?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
PS Don't take yourself too seriously, Ed. Or me, for that matter.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do you use the forks in a restaurant? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL