The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » J.C.'s Super Closer by J.C. Wagner presented by Michael Ammar (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Another one from the Legends series.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9468

"We call it Super Closer because WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO with a deck of cards after something like this?" -Michael Ammar

You can't top this trick. It's a masterpiece, it really is. Super Closer gets more and more impossible every step of the way, until the finale just melts peoples' brains.

The routine starts by finding the aces from a shuffled pack, but becomes SO MUCH MORE.

After having your spectators mix up the cards, you're able to cause 4 "indicator" cards to MAGICALLY APPEAR from behind fans of cards. This looks beautiful and is still just the beginning. Next you're able to find all 4 aces, and for your finale, you INSTANTLY sort the entire deck into suits.

This is no quick trick. It's a full-length professional card routine you can put right into your act... Well.. at the end of your act anyway Smile

It doesn't require difficult sleight of hand, in fact if you're new to magic you're in luck! Michael Ammar is one of the world's greatest magic teachers, and if anyone can help you master a routine quickly it's him.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst you don't require advanced skills you do need to be able to perform a convincing full deck false shuffle if you want to sell the effect in my opinion Smile
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Still, competently performed, this is truly a stunner.

I remember showing J. C.'s Super Closer to people back in the days of VHS tape.

Need to pull this one out again.

Oscar
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
This is without a doubt one of the greatest effects in all of card magic. I've been performing this for many years after picking up the book 'Commercial Magic' by JC Wagner. The only downside to this routine is that you will need a table with plenty of space to perform it on (cards spread in 4 piles) and it's somewhat of a longish routine. That said, it's most ideal for parlor shows and impromptu situations.

The effect will also require a full-deck set-up but what's incredible is that you can reset the deck right in front of your spectators when finished. But ideally, this should be used as a CLOSER because you won't find many effects that will top this one.

To elaborate on Warren's comment above. Yes, it could be better if you did a convincing false shuffle beforehand but in my opinion it is not necessary because the cards are being shuffled by both the performer and spectator before the aces are produced. In fact, I actually performed this for years while only doing a false table cut until I gained my 'chops'. Alternatively, you can do a pocket deck switch or use any one of the many nice deck switching devices on the market today.

Either way, this is hands-down one of the most baffling and enjoyable card tricks of all time.

Woo hoo...that was my 1,000 post on the Café Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Oscar999 wrote:
Still, competently performed, this is truly a stunner.

I remember showing J. C.'s Super Closer to people back in the days of VHS tape.

Need to pull this one out again.

Oscar

Agreed it's a great effect I originally learned it from The Commercial Magic Of J.C. Wagner where he actually says to first give the deck to of your best false shuffles stating that he uses the Zarrow shuffle....definitely a killer effect Smile
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Looks like this is an updated, slightly altered, handling, can anyone confirm?

Robert
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Robert,
This does look like an updated version. Rather than producing the kings he produces the jacks. And instead of producing them from the "leftover" cards he does a flashier fan-type production that is probably credited to Paul Harris (?). At least that's what I noticed from the trailer.
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
I’m sure in the handling I saw on The Easy to Master series, there was a card that had to be displaced for the final reveal, but that didn’t seem to be the case with this handling.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Yep, I do like what I see in the demo. Aces are put in face down and counted to instead of spelled to. I do like the Kings in the original version, something aesthetically pleasing about it, but not a big deal and the Jacks work well also. I may have missed it but I also didn't notice the displacement of the original version, or at least the version in the Ammar video series. I need to go back and read the version in the book as well. I will probably get this even though I'm sure I could work out the changes, but this reminds me of how great JC's magic is -- this is a great routine!

Robert
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Did my ears lie to me, or did he call the blacjack hands "royal flushes"? I am happy to know even the best of us can make a mistake. Smile

I guess these "Legend" vids are going to go on till everything gets sold "again" at way more than the original vhs/dvd sets. There is nothing wrong with it from a business standpoint, but I wonder how many people buy these and forgot they already had them among their collection. So far, all 3 releases are on his "Easy to Master" series.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yup, there are a few new twists and turns added to this killer classic routine which make it easier to do, and still deliver that killer build up finish.

And as far as requiring a table, that's not necessarily true. all you need is four spectators and you are good to go. Which adds to the element of engagement of this routine.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Still one of the strongest effect in card magic with a normal deck of cards can offer, and it stood the test of time.

I think the orignal L&L tape on easy to master series by Ammar in early 90's, so a re-film of some of these finest effect via 21st century style live bar settings, better lighting, non studio style filming give these great effect another life for the new generations of magic in my opinion. Better yet, it does not cost anymore storage space except your hard disk in computer if you download it, or even none by view it by streaming through your penguin login account.

Even I step into the middle age in magic generation I prefer to see one of these great card effects resurface rather than 100 other new one trick effects release these days.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Steven Leung wrote:
Still one of the strongest effect in card magic with a normal deck of cards can offer, and it stood the test of time.

Even I step into the middle age in magic generation I prefer to see one of these great card effects resurface rather than 100 other new one trick effects release these days.

I agree. I also do not mind supporting my many mentors like Michael Ammar. My only issue is that I don't think a lot of people on Penguin's mailing list who get notified as soon as these "Legends" releases come out, are even on L&L's email list or L&LePub's seperate email list. The regular site has several $10 for any dvd sale (ONLY for email customers) each year - so you could have an "entire dvd" full of the effects from these "Legends" downloads for 2-3 dollars more than just 1 Penguin download (In these cases). Also, the ePub site sells them all as digital downloads of the dvds for up to 75% off several times thru the year.

I too am guilty of "double buying" from time to time JUST TO SUPPORT THE CREATOR - for instance, I have bought the Penguin Downloads for both "Deceit Treat" and "Counter Intuitive" by Cameron Francis even though I already bought his e-book "Pasteboard Proclivities" which has both effects within its pages (along with simple video demos of both the performance and explanation included free). The write ups in the book were sufficient (especially with the helpful video links in the book) but the Penguin downloads in both cases did provide very different presentations as he has refined them over time and that makes a bigger difference than changing "Kings to Jacks" for the first reveal in this recent "Legends release". And I will say with no way of taking this wrong... I really like Michael Ammar and his style and teaching. In fact,it was his VHS set of Easy to Master Card Miracles that took me from "that guy who knew a few card tricks" to a novice then semi-pro then Professional Magician.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Robert Sixx wrote:
Yep, I do like what I see in the demo. Aces are put in face down and counted to instead of spelled to. I do like the Kings in the original version, something aesthetically pleasing about it, but not a big deal and the Jacks work well also. I may have missed it but I also didn't notice the displacement of the original version, or at least the version in the Ammar video series. I need to go back and read the version in the book as well. I will probably get this even though I'm sure I could work out the changes, but this reminds me of how great JC's magic is -- this is a great routine!

Robert

I actually think it's better to spell to the aces rather than count to them it just seems stronger to me personally so for me the original handling is superior.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Robert Sixx wrote:

Robert

I actually think it's better to spell to the aces rather than count to them it just seems stronger to me personally so for me the original handling is superior.

You may be right, but it's nice there are different options available.

Robert
Carta Mundi
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carta Mundi
Speaking of different options JC actually updated his Super Closer in the Book Full Metal Jacket by JC Wagner and Syd Segal. In that book on page 7 you will find JC's Final Closer, along with 2 slight variations.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
ETMCM Vol 4 has a version of this too.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
When Slydini was running late between convention lecture rooms in NYC in '82, Ricky Jay performed this outside the room to help kill time for the waiting group. He got an cheering ovation. (We were already standing!)
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Bad jelly
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Bad jelly
One the first effects I mastered way back when EVERYTHING was new to me. Even though I was performing it to myself during practice sessions it still gave me goosebumps.
I can Still recall the absolute buzz of seeing this miracle unfold before me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » J.C.'s Super Closer by J.C. Wagner presented by Michael Ammar (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL