The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which one Traveler or Quiver (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I am having slight issues with my Quiver purse, hence I have posted a new thread within secret sessions.
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
I have a a travler and its beautifully made. It feels a good way to carry around some coins. In all honesty I don't use the hold out much.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I know I'm late to the party here, but for my money, it's the Quiver purse, (or Quiver +), all the way. I honestly think that the purse is the best utility item since the thumb tip. Really. Well made and limited only by your imagination. I have three of them. I produce either a single coin or a Triple Threat gimmick from the 'empty' purse, go into a routine and vanish it again after putting it in the purse. I've held the purse open and have had spectators feel the inside of the purse and never felt the coin hidden in there. When done right, it's a heck of a strong thing. I also use all three for an "I Hate Kids" type of routine. ...And you can let the spectators open the purse if you want. I can't say enough about the Quiver purse. For switches and vanishes and productions...it's limited only by what can fit in it and your imagination. Worth every single penny.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I recently picked up a Quiver and a Quiver + but I don't see the benefit in letting the spec open it with a gaff hidden and a regular coin in the part they dump out. It is still obvious to me that there is more coins in the purse (which would scream trap door in my opinion). Don't get me wrong, I really like both but I would never hand it out with a gaff (maybe a bill or a prediction but never a coin). I only bring it up because so many people feel letting the spec open (without finding the secret) is a plus.

I also have Traveler and have carried it every day for several years now. I really love it for different reasons. he secret poses the same problem if you hand it out (I do not) but it has so many little utilities built in that do way more for you than simply hiding a coin/gaff.

Now that I have both, I will use both (for different reasons) but I will give my vote to Traveler overall. (But grab both if you can afford both).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I recently picked up a Quiver and a Quiver + but I don't see the benefit in letting the spec open it with a gaff hidden and a regular coin in the part they dump out. It is still obvious to me that there is more coins in the purse (which would scream trap door in my opinion).

I don't disagree with that at all. You definitely don't want to hand it out with a coin in it. The only time I let a spectator open it is when I'm doing a routine with bills. And it's a matter of proper audience management. They open it, see the bill, and either retrieve it or allow me to retrieve it, and then I take the purse back. There's no focus on the purse. The purse is/should be inconsequential. I don't let them 'inspect' the purse. Why would I? It's just a purse. What's inside, (in those instances, for me, it's a bill), is what matters.

Regarding allowing them to 'feel' inside the purse, that, also is a matter of handling and audience management. For that, I use those times when I want the 'normal' opening of the purse to reveal the coin. I have the coin in the main, 'normal' compartment. I engage the gimmick and open the purse and show it empty. The coin is on the side of the purse that is against my palm. I hold my hand, palm-down, purse open. I shake it upside down and show it empty. I will tell the spectator that they can 'feel around' if they want and I tell them to, "go ahead...stick a finger in there and feel around". While saying that, I stick an index finger in and I only run it across the bottom of the purse. With a big, heavy coin, if it's "hidden" in there, gravity would suggest that it would be on the bottom. I don't point that out, it's just inherently assumed. They almost always only do the same thing I do; so I think the natural move I do, serves as a subconsciously suggested instruction. It's a subtlety that's effective. I don't do that every time I use the purse, just in those times when it serves the situation and routine. I've only done it maybe a dozen or fifteen times, but only ONCE did anyone sweep their finger arcoss the top part of the purse. ...And the guy didn't realize he felt a coin. Or, if he did, he was polite and a good actor; which wasn't the case, because he proceeded to try to "catch" me doing stuff. So if he'd had realized that he swiped his finger over anything, he'd have said something. So when performing a one-coin routine, (or a multiple coin routine using a gimmick, such as a shell or a 3CM/Triple Threat type gimmick), where I produce a coin from the purse, I'm confident in using the purse that way. I wouldn't do that following a production and a vanish using the purse, or even after a vanish; as the purse may become suspect. It's better if they expect an empty purse because they haven't seen anything come from, or return to the purse.
But that's as close to spectator inspection I get with coins. In fact, I do not carry a coin in the purse while it's in my pocket. I don't use it as a coin purse when not actively performing; because the leather, (to its credit, as it is soft, supple and good quality), will conform itself to the coin and the purse will look like it has a coin in it when it doesn't. That could be beneficial to some magicians, in some instances, I'm sure. But not for me. So I don't, and wouldn't recommend, carrying coins in the purse when not performing. Load the purse just prior to performance.

For tricks with bills, it's not an issue. When I'm going to be doing that routine, I have the purses loaded with two bills each in my jacket pocket or purse. But coins...I don't carry in the purses.

So you're absolutely right - you can't leave a coin, or any bulky item, in the hidden compartment of the purse and allow a spectator to open it. That would be an epic failure. LOL
But with proper audience management, timing, scripting and minor misdirection, I am comfortable with letting a spectator open the purse to reveal/retrieve a folded bill when a folded bill is also loaded in the hidden compartment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which one Traveler or Quiver (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL