The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Occultatum by Menny Lindenfeld (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
With Kurotsuke you're basically trying to determine which PERSON is holding an object that is different from the others often under the guise of trying to decipher whether the person is lying or telling the truth. But with Occultatum an object that is personal in nature (like a ring) is hidden inside a box and then mixed with many identical boxes. The mentalist in this case is using an ability not associated with the person's voice pattern or body language to deduce where the object is located. While the plot is similar it's also different because no questions are being asked.
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of philraso
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2018, magicinsight wrote:
There are 8 tins, not 5. You can start out with all 8 tins on the table, if you want.
Michael

Do you have the DVD? Someone else said you have to start with two. Only one person can be correct, right?
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2018, philraso wrote:

Do you have the DVD? Someone else said you have to start with two. Only one person can be correct, right?

There are two 'methods'

1. Start with two on the table, add more later
2. Start with any even number on the table - and the spec can choose any two [of those]

He calls the second 'advanced' handling

It's not really

I think it's in there to 'solve' a problem some people may have [magicians running when not being chased] - and in reality has a similar problem

I've got 12 altoids tins coming to me - as I want the tins to be of a real every day design

It's a fun plot

For parlour [or one on one] - I wouldn't bother with it for stage [even with the basket ball version]
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I won't comment on the method, there's been quite a lot of speculation and questions and answers on that already... but I did want to ring in on one point.

I really like the tins that came with this effect.

I received my set yesterday. And, I think the tins are very attractive and in no way suspicious. I don't see the need to switch to Altoids (for myself). I can certainly understand somebody wanting to ensure the inference in the mind of their participant is that you are using an ordinary everyday object. But, for me, I don't believe these tins violate that condition.

They look just like they're purported to be... empty tins.

Oscar
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
What a fantastic product.

🔥

My mind is spinning with all the possibilities.
Already came up with 2 completely impromptu variations.

This is very versatile and that’s what I like the most about this principle.
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
MinSting
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
192 Posts

Profile of MinSting
I find the trailer to be misleading,
the trailer make it look like you can start with lot of them, they select one to hide and mix while you don't look,

but you always start with just two items while you don't look, then after they hide it on one, you can add more items.

it still probably fools lot of people I must say,
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, MinSting wrote:
I find the trailer to be misleading.

That's what trailers are for nowadays. Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Sometimes they have to be in order to preserve the ‘secret’ so always take them with a pinch of salt.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Nothing has to be misleading ever. All they have to do is say what they need to say and not more. I bought it under the impression that I can replicate what is being suggested around the 2 minute mark (all boxes, performer turns around, and they choose where to put the object and mix).

This is still a solid release but they never needed to be 'misleading' in the video.

Whatever Menny mentioned earlier as the description for the project is more than enough to address most inquiries.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Do please explain how you shoot a trailer for this effect without being misleading? Without divulging the secret?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, ash2arani wrote:
Nothing has to be misleading ever. All they have to do is say what they need to say and not more. I bought it under the impression that I can replicate what is being suggested around the 2 minute mark (all boxes, performer turns around, and they choose where to put the object and mix).

This is still a solid release but they never needed to be 'misleading' in the video.

Whatever Menny mentioned earlier as the description for the project is more than enough to address most inquiries.

Apparently they did need to mislead you as you state yourself the main reason you initially bought it, and I'm sure you were not the only one.
These "impressions" they are giving are not by accident, they are well aware of what they are doing.

Would what Menny said earlier actually have gotten you to buy the product on that alone?
Maybe, but they are always going to try and give you as much incentive as possible.
The concept of "this is what the spectators see or remembers" allows them a lot of latitude.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I did buy it because of what Menny said, actually. It does exactly what I need it to do.

If want to have a completely free choice of many boxes already on the table, I'd use muscle reading. This allows a different presentation that fits in with something I've been working on for a few years now.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
My version is cheapest. I’ve always used a stooge. Works 100 percent.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, pegasus wrote:
My version is cheapest. I’ve always used a stooge. Works 100 percent.

...and it has so many applications!
Smile
Elman1
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Elman1
Uck stooges are boring, I like the look of this!
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, Elman1 wrote:
Uck stooges are boring, I like the look of this!

Sense of humor anyone?
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I bought this and I am not at all disappointed. I have bought at least 4 of Menny's products and didn't care for one and couldn't do the other. But this has tremendous potential. I ran it by my toughest critic today (my wife). She didn't have a clue and actually smiled when I did the reveal. Worked exactly as described. My biggest problems were ****ing the props. For me that was difficult, but once that was done it was clear sailing. You offer the spec many genuinely free choices and none of them matter in the least to the outcome of the effect. You always, yes always, know where the object is. It's almost too easy (is there such a thing?). So if you think this could be worked into your show (best for parlor, perhaps), I recommend getting it. I know you can just buy your own tins and work with those, but the thought and design that Menny put into these make it worth getting (IMHO). BTW the BMW by Menny is something I have used, perhaps, more than anything else I own.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2018, jaizon wrote:
... My biggest problems were ****ing the props...BTW the BMW by Menny is something I have used, perhaps, more than anything else I own.

Agree with you on both points. I'm doing this based upon Menny's lecture, so I don't know about the tins Manny provides, but with the Altoid tins it IS a bit of a challenge. The Blind Man's Wallet is my 'go to' piece for a number of effects. LOVE it!!
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I held the tins the wrong way round (in good light) and then found them easy to xxxxxxx

But the first few (of the 12 I did) were tough... was convinced I was going to ruin them
BILL DAVIS MAGIC
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
25 Posts

Profile of BILL DAVIS MAGIC
All I want to know is if this is at all similar in method to Oculus by Brandon Queen. Can anyone just say whether it is or is not? The name sounds similar and the "psychological" aspect had me wondering. Thanks.
- ABRACADAVIS!

"Magic is in the Hand of the Card Holder"

Visit me at:
HTTP://BILLDAVISMAGIC.COM

Follow me on:
http://instagram.com/billdavismagic
http://facebook.com/billdavismagic
http://twitter.com/billdavismagic
http://billdavismagic.tumblr.com

...and please SUBSCRIBE at the right of my White Spade logo on top:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+davis+magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Occultatum by Menny Lindenfeld (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL