The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't you just love it when people try to sound sophisticated? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
We recently received in the mail the Local Flavor magazine: ads for local businesses.

On the cover was an ad for a wine bar, offering a Valentine's Day special: a gourmet 3-course pre-fix feast (later, a special pre-fix menu, at $69 per person).

I presume that they meant prix fixe: French for fixed price (and pronounced <pre feeks>).

I also presume that if you want dessert with your feast, that would be the . . . wait for it . . . suff-fix.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Well, as possibly the most overly dramatic person ever to have lived, I'll stay silent on this.

What gets me are so many signs that are designed, proof read, and made -
with obvious spelling errors.

There is a florist near my house that tells you to "Express you're fellings with flowers."

They also tell you that you'll receive a free "vace" with a twenty dollar purchase.

They also sell "ballons".

Maybe they should use Goggle.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I saw a sign in Key Largo that advertised "Sweat Corn".

As the undisputed KING of spelling mistakes and poor grammar I am offended when people in business do these things.

The one that bothers me the most though is when I see a Pre School sign that spells the word school "skool" and has backwards letters and such. As if I want them to teach the kids to be that dumb?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Well, I am sure that you all revel in your own smartitude.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2018, 0pus wrote:
Well, I am sure that you all revel in your own smartitude.

You'd rather that people revel in their stupiditudity?
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2018, S2000magician wrote:

I thought the word was "stupididity." I believe you had one syllabub too many.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2018, 0pus wrote:
Quote:

I thought the word was "stupididity." I believe you had one syllabub too many.

This from the author of "smartitude".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
We recently received in the mail the Local Flavor magazine: ads for local businesses.

On the cover was an ad for a wine bar, offering a Valentine's Day special: a gourmet 3-course pre-fix feast (later, a special pre-fix menu, at $69 per person).

I presume that they meant prix fixe: French for fixed price (and pronounced <pre feeks>).

Some interesting observations here:

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2016/08/prix-fixe.html

I'll just excerpt this amusing bit:

The English writer Jeanette Winterson once asked a man working at a Vietnamese restaurant in New York why the signboard in front offered a "Pre Fix Menu."

In a July 11, 2006, entry on her website, she gives his explanation: “ ‘" 'We fix the Specials of the Day every morning,' he explained, 'but before we fix those, we fix the set menu of the day, so that’s why it’s called a Pre Fix.' "

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
Don't you just love it when people try to sound sophisticated?

Indubitably!
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't you just love it when people try to sound sophisticated? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL