The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle Pass tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
I'm trying to a muscle pass. What coin should I use, and how long does it take the average person to learn it? Also how many days or or hours should I practice?
Be Curious
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Short answer, Whatever coin works best for you, a while, and as many as it takes.

Seriously, a lot of folks prefer the silver dollar size. I like the English Penny. It took me several days to get the coin to do anything more than just flip over. Height and Distance came with time and a LOT of patience.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Although I don't do it, I've seen some of the Japanese magicians practice it over and over... they really can send it far and very fast. One of the things they do is solder two or more coins together to get a heavier coin. They practice with that and then when they use a regular coin it practically flies out of their palm. It's sort of like swinging a bat with a doughnut weight on it.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Thats somewhat like going from a silver dollar (heavy) to a cheap plastic poker chip (light as a feather). I can make a chip fly like 3 times as far as a coin in my video here.

PR, as for tips on the muscle pass head to my website (link below) goto the foundations section, answer the question to get in, and click on the muscle pass link.
Click to visit:
Blaqmagik
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Blaqmagik
It took me about a week before I got up to 8-10 inches. The muscle pass varies from palm to palm. What I did was to place the coin in my palm in various places and squeeze my thumb muscle with my other hand. Te coin would fly in some spots and lay dormant in others. So I concentrated on the spot that really made the coin (half dollar) fly. My sweet spot is a few mm short of the edge palm position. But like I said, it varies. Find your sweet spot, and practice.
youngmagicman
View Profile
New user
Southwest michigan, US
3 Posts

Profile of youngmagicman
Hi every one have been reading your posts for a few days to see what kind of people you all are and you seem a little more practiced then me but I feel I can make for interesting discussion. enough of formality, I am very interested in the muscle pass I have tried many different size coins and searched the web far and wide, I also have checked the local magic shop and frankly I think the owner is incompetent.
When I do the trick all it does is pop out of the grip my hand seems to not squeeze hard enough though I put a lot of effort in it I can never get more then 1" <vertical> and about 3"<horizontal> am I doing something wrong any pointers or just more practice?
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Just more practice....I know thats not what you want to hear, but I had a tough time getting it down as well, after a couple of weeks I didnt get more than 3 inches... It was then that I realized that I was not practicing near enough.. If you practice a LOT, you will develope a callous on your thumb side where you grip the coin. once you do, it gets much easier! I can now get about 8" vert.. I love it! I dont think I have done it for someone once who didnt immediately say "wait, do that again" *L*
keep practicing until your hand hurts too bad, and stop for a short while, you will find that you can get about 3-4 good pops out of your hand at first... then it starts going down from there.. I guess your muscles get tired after the 1st 3 or 4.. anyway
Good luck, and DONT give up, I will never regret learning it... Oh, also, dont grip the coin too tight, keep a light grip on the coin and instead fo squeezing your thumb towards your pinky, apply pressure in that direction and then move your thumb towards the ground.. it will give you more of the "pop" you are looking for..

C-ya
Tom Defrange Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
youngmagicman
View Profile
New user
Southwest michigan, US
3 Posts

Profile of youngmagicman
thanks tom ill keep at it and eventually ill get it down
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
If you can find someone in your area to work with you. A second best would be to see the great videos at coinvanish.com

It seems easier these days than it was when I first learned it back in about 1977.

After you learn the basics, as was mentioned try different coins as well as object ie.
checkers and even flat rocks.

When I have some time on my hands,(RR) I play around with doing the MP with small coins such as quarter, nickles and on good days when my muscles don't cramp up into tendonitis with a penny.

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle Pass tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL