The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Experiment with Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I finally got some shims for my expanded shells. Thanks to a very generous gentleman who read my posts and helped me out. There are some really great people here on the magic Café. Particularly in the coin sections. Even ifthey wish to remain anonymous, we are very lucky to know them. Thank you sir. You kindness doesn't go unnoticed.
It is a pleasure to converse with .
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
So I shimmed my expanded half shell and paired it with a magnetic half. I now have something similar to a TUC in function, for a lot less money. The edge is Not as clean as TUC, but I doubt the average person will spot it. I will play around with it and let you know how it works. The shim is stuck in with a Teflon pad, so I could remove it if I wanted. I doubt I'd want to. Now I have to order some dollar sized Teflon pads and shim my Ike shell. Then I'll have a triple TUC. If I could get a magnetic Sun and Moon coin, oh what fun I could have.Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Congrats on your new tools.

It's important to note, though, that a TUC is pretty different from a coin+shell. The way it's constructed, certain moves are significantly different, so they're not really comparable. It's like saying a shell + folding coin makes something similar to a !@#$*er. Sure, that's maybe how the idea was formed, but the !@#$*er is a whole new level - it's like comparing a sharp stone to a chef's knife.

As far as the Triple TUC goes - it only becomes one if you have a TUC, too. An Ike shell plus Kennedy not-really-TUC doesn't become a Triple TUC.
I can't tell from your comments if you have an Ike TUC already, or if you were talking about the latter.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Expanding on ton's sound advice. Many of the effects documented for the TUC will be doable with your gimmick. Others depend on the ability to open/split the gimmick
under various hand positions and postures. The level and balance of the attractive forces is important, not just the "stick together"

You can use wax to stick things together and separate layer too. Saves money on magnets. In some cases it can be better.
I can see also see advantages to having a magnetic coin as the base of this gimmick. Some effects may be possible with you gimmick than with the TUC.

As always, the question is what you are trying to accomplish for a "what the audience enjoys" perspective,
The choice of any gaff/gimmick should be driven by the desired effect, not the other way around.

I happen to have several different TUC's. but rarely use them in preference to "sleights/ploys" only methods.
I also have a home made combo of Exp [ and Hooked coin that also results not possible with any popular commercial gimmick.
I am experimenting with using a mag coin instead of the Hooker. No need yet for them to stick together.

I applaud your creativity efforts, but question either "similar in function" or "cost less" are good motivations for being creative.
I found an Ike TUC in a grab basket at a convention for $30. I have an expensive Flipper that my fingers hate.

Creativity is its own reward. Keep it going. Don't try to make a cheap copy of anything. Invent something new!

PS - I think the Triple is overpriced and has very few advantages. Don't try and copy it. Try a split coin gaff in your shimmed shell. Lots more possibilities.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have the Ike TUC. It cost me $100. That was a heck of a deal you got at the convention. I have to admit I get a kick out of trying to make Diy magic props. It may not be as good as the store bought, but darn it, I made it myself. I like playing around with stuff. I made my own Raven and also a magnetic holdout for my hat. I'll use both of them with the triple TUC. When my son breaks his toys, I fix them, sometimes re-engineering them. I just can help it.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
The problem with the shimmed shell is the edge. When you put the shim in, the shell doesn't completely cover the edge of the inner coin. This must be the reason they use the thinner insert on the TUC. You really can't show the edge of the TUC insert, unless you keep it moving. My magnetic coin looks good when it's apart. So you go from not showing the edge apart, to not showing the edge when it's closed. Showing it in your hand is not an issue with either of them.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
The Ike TUC is normally $100... http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11657
I understand there's an appeal to DIY. That said, DIY coin gaffs would probably be making your own with a lathe, not combining sets of others.

You're right that there's a trade-off in visibility - you actually have that any time you're using any s***l. Mark Mason made his "deep dish" coins, which have better side coverage, but look too big when compared to a normal coin. You can't win all ways.

That said, I'll again reiterate that the big deal with the TUC (to me) is the ease of separation, not that you can show it from the side when closed. But you do you.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have been playing with my gimmick in one hand and the TUC in the other. To me, one is just as easily separated as the other. I'm not to the point of using the lathe yet, but give me some time. My father-in-law has two, so it's not that far fetched of an idea. If I could find a book on how to make gaffed coins. I'm not sure there is such a thing. So for now, I'll have to stick to baby steps.
It's just fun playing around with the different gimmicks and seeing what's doable. Isn't that what we're in this for? To have fun and bring fun to others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Experiment with Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL