The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring space change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Is there anyone here having done a routine like the one following? Two linking rings separated, then linked and in a third step the two linked rings are changed to one ring of the double space. I'm looking for some ideas if anyone has done something the like or can give me a hint where to look further for this effect. My first idea would be to change the two rings to another one of the double space which is first "folded" to the same space as the two rings, but I dunno where to get sth like this "foldable" ring. Btw. I'm a beginner to magic, since I started doing magic again (after two decades without) in the last summer.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
What is a "ring of the double space"? Perhaps a picture would help.
I don't understand this term, so it's hard to say if it's been done before, or suggest where you could get one.
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Well, what I actually meant was the ring size. I'm sorry for the wrong expression. It's late and my first language is German. What I'd like to show in that routine is that the two rings are melted together to one big ring
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Ahh, now I understand what you mean by "double the space" - you meant double the space inside the ring (not really idiomatic, but I understand it better), but yes, double the ring size would have been clearer.

There are a few other effects that do that, such as http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2823. I think I recall seeing another one, but I can't find it again at the moment. You could do something similar, just starting with two rings that matched, instead of one.

That said, it does feel a bit odd, thematically. Why would the two rings combine into a single ring, like a bubble? I can see growing, shrinking, linking, or even merging into flat-but-overlapping rings (like the Olympic rings), but one big one seems less plausible to me.

Then again, if you have the desire and ideas, go for it!
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2018, tonsofquestions wrote:
That said, it does feel a bit odd, thematically. Why would the two rings combine into a single ring, like a bubble? I can see growing, shrinking, linking, or even merging into flat-but-overlapping rings (like the Olympic rings), but one big one seems less plausible to me.

it's about unity, two rings not only being linked, but even more becoming one big/large ring. Maybe they change from 8" to one of 16" or the like.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
This sounds interesting. I will do some thinking on this. Kevin James has a way to have a 12-inch ring shrink very small.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
If one uses the "every ring is a portal" theme, then the ability to enlarge or contract ring diameter at will could be impressive.

Or linking rings that adapt to the size ot the audience. Thickness of the metal might have to increases well.

From Dragonfly to Ninja to 5" to 8" - guess I will have to start wearing a coat again.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is he second post about enlarging and shrinking rings on the café, is there someone doing this on YouTube, or somewhere.

There is no such effect in magic to my knowledge. I am sure the best solution is to talk to an mechanical engineer.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I recall Jack Miller back about 1959 where he places a ring over his head to rest on his shoulders.
Later he repeats but the ring is too small and only sits on top of this head like a halo.

Not exactly a routine, but ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Also not exactly the same, but with some potential (especially since no one has done it in years) is Afgan Bands.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2018, RiffRaff wrote:
Also not exactly the same, but with some potential (especially since no one has done it in years) is Afgan Bands.

There is a version that zips together and is reusable. Good thought.

Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Well, I think that I'll do it another way: Ropes instead of rings. It is indeed something like Daniel Ka's Linking Ropes routine what I wanted to do with rings, especially the ending of Daniel's routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring space change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL