The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » NEWSFLASH: Copperfield Might Have Real Magical Powers (LOL) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Have you ever heard some one say this. "Well, most magicians are nothing but a bunch of fakes, but that David Copperfield, man is he REALLY magic?" "I don't know, but I think he really has powers!"

Man, I've heard people say it many times, and it blows me away. What is it about him? Is it the fabulously concieved and eleborate stage illusions, or is it his voice, or perhaps, just his EYES. He has eyes that seem to be able to look right through you. (a genetic blessing in my opinion. In other words, you are either lucky enough to be born with it, or you do without. For one who chooses to be a magician, that could be an invaluable genetic trait, though.

Maybe it's his ability to "fly" like Peter Pan, huh?

So what do you speculate it is about David that he is able to achieve what the rest of us don't often experience: People believe he is GENUINELY endowed with magical powers.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
I really like this subject. Way to go for starting it, daffydoug!!!!!!

Here are my thoughts (from a strong Copperfield fan POV):

I think that Copperfield has cultivated a legend status in pop culture and that people simply have no explanation other than real magic. I also think that its his persona and charisma that help convey the fact that he does real magic.

But this is not unique. I find that people have much of the smae opinion of David Blaine. I don't care what you think of Blaine, I'm personally neutral about him, he presents his magic in such a way that people believe its real.

Same with me. I like to make people believe in magic and I've heard from magician friends who do magic to people who have already seen me that people talk about me as having real magic.

So what is the key to creating this impression? I don't know. Copperfield jokes a lot yet people take him very seriously. Blaine is too serious and people take him seriously. There's different styles that willl achieve the same thing but there is one thing that they all have in common: a belief in real magic. I think that if someone truly believe in real magic, it exhudes in their persona. It becomes like an infectiuous energy that convinces people to think that you have real powers...... I hope you know what I mean.

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'll really give that a lot of thought. The subject is a deep one, indeed. There is just so much to consider concerning this fascinating subject.
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I think his touch is very magical, unlike alot of close up magicians who just click their fingers or wave a magic wand. His mystical presentation is just awsome, I love seeing him work.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yes, his hand movements are very graceful.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Still, the most magical thing I've ever witnessed cost five cents and a LOT of practice - Doug Henning's Vanishing Nickel. THAT was real magic...

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think it's his attention to details and precision. All his magic is choreographed like a dance routine or a skater's routine.

I've never seen him do anything "impropmptu" -- or at least very rarely. He is extremely aware of each and every movement; he leaves nothing to chance (which, I suppose, flies right in the face of those on this board who claim a magician must be "on" at all times). The result is magic that goes beyond "traditional" magic.

Also, he sealed his legend with the Statue vanish.

Having said all that, I think very few people actually BELIEVE has has "magical powers." I think those remarks are more a statement of the strong impression he has made on them, sort of like those who would say that Michael "Air" Jordan seemed to defy gravity as he went for the basket.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
A lot of people really belive he has real magical powers. We all know that's not true.

A few years ago me and a friend of mine was watching a Copperfield special on TV. He was amazed, well so was I. He really belived that he had magical powers. I did not say any thing, did not want to rouin the moment. I still remember it today. These were his exact words. " How does he do it, where doe he get his magical powers from"
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Starr,

I think you're right on target here. Copperfield is a detail freak. Everything, from lighting to blocking and movement.

Kenton Knepper has a great view of magic and acting. He says we pick up thousands of subcounscious cues from people that tell us about them. When someone is lying, they must lie with every part of them, or those cues will be picked up by the spectator, even if only subconsciously. So Copperfield, being attentive to detail, has covered any area that would be a "tip off" to the fact that he has anything BUT magical powers. He's 100% consistent in his character.

Now, about the people actually believing he has magical powers. Occasionally we do come across these people that believe that our magic is real. In college, I remember convincing a kid that I had "used up" all my magical powers for the day and therefore couldn't do anymore.

A lot of it has to do with how you are presenting your magic and who you are as a magician. In Copperfield's case, he doesn't come out and say "I have supernatural powers." He leaves it up to you to decide. Some entertainers (Uri Geller, Kreskin) are more blatant in wanting you to believe that what they do is real.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I once heard David disclaim any powers. Yup!! He actually did. I don't have the exact quote, but he said "If I had real magical powers, I'd be healing those kittle kids of cancer." And fellas, I heard him say this on national TV!

And the story that tickles me is the one about him cutting off the tip of his finger on stage during a performance. (If you haven't yet heard the story, let me know and I'll share it in detail.)

Anyway, he had the tip of his finger sewed back on, and he healed up nicely, and he said that God, who healed his finger, was the one with the REAL magic! I believe it was on Oprah that I heard him say this, a few years ago.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I have not heard this story, could you elaborate?

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Nick,

Here is the exact script of the Oprah show:

http://magictelevision.org/archives/1996......eld.html

If you wanna go straight to the story about the finger, the go to find (Ctrl+F) and type finger and keep looking for the story.

Quote:
On 2004-04-22 10:36, Starrpower wrote:

I've never seen him do anything "impropmptu" -- or at least very rarely. He is extremely aware of each and every movement; he leaves nothing to chance (which, I suppose, flies right in the face of those on this board who claim a magician must be "on" at all times). The result is magic that goes beyond "traditional" magic.

Well for impromptu stuff... he does a lot of it when he does stuff for random people. I'm talking about close up. When he's at conventions or places like the Magic Castle or at Project Magic HQ.

As for his illusions.... no, there is not much impromptu but then again... you can't have much impromptu with large stage illusions. But he does have backup plans for everything. I remember reading an interview with him once where he said something to the effect of his having a Plan B, C, and D for every illusion he does in case something goes wrong. Now there's preparation.
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That explains why he is doing over five hundred shows a year, last I heard.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 21:30, daffydoug wrote:
I once heard David disclaim any powers. Yup!! He actually did. I don't have the exact quote, but he said "If I had real magical powers, I'd be healing those kittle kids of cancer." And fellas, I heard him say this on national TV!

I remember doing card tricks on a bus. A woman asked where I got these things and I mentioned that there was a shop in NYC I frequented. She said; "There's a place in New York where you can sell your soul?" (Well, there are several actually, but that's not germaine!) I said; "Ma'm, if I were going to sell my soul, don't you think I'd ask for something more than the ability to do card tricks?"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 21:37, NFox wrote:
I have not heard this story, could you elaborate?

Nick Fox

The story as he tells it goes like this: He was on stage doing a rope routine, and the scissors were extremely sharp. (Do you see it coming?)
Anyway he snipped the rope, and looked at the scissors, and to his horror, the tip of his finger was resting ON TOP of the blade. And on top of this, he was gushing blood.

He said calmly to the audience "I just cut the tip of my finger off."

The audience responded with uprorious applause! They thought it was an illusion! Part of the act!

He said "No. I REALLY cut off the tip of my finger!!

They rushed him to the hospital, and the doctors sewed it back on.

And that's the story in a nutshell.

Nice, huh?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I twice saw him when illusions "screwed up" and I don't think he covered very well. Once he was stalling because the big "Sawing" was having problems (he finally did it but the timer clock was not working.) To fill itme, he did the "Traffic Ticket" torn-and-restored routine ... poorly. He actually turned his back on the audience and walked upstage during the "move."

Another time, he went into the Dot Card, not bad but *very* average. So, I guess he is mortal! Still, I consider him to be the best all-around magician I've ever seen.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yup! If he can cut his finger off and bleed, that PROVES he is quite mortal indeed.
Joseph Martin
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Joseph Martin
In 1998, I saw him on a Spanish channel saying magicians are actors performing the role of a magician.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, that amounts to disclaiming any true powers, too.

Quote:
On 2004-04-23 20:39, Starrpower wrote:
I twice saw him when illusions "screwed up" and I don't think he covered very well. Once he was stalling because the big "Sawing" was having problems (he finally did it but the timer clock was not working.) To fill itme, he did the "Traffic Ticket" torn-and-restored routine ... poorly. He actually turned his back on the audience and walked upstage during the "move."

Another time, he went into the Dot Card, not bad but *very* average. So, I guess he is mortal! Still, I consider him to be the best all-around magician I've ever seen.

Those facts are very eye opening.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-04-22 21:58, Mindfreak wrote:
Nick,

Here is the exact script of the Oprah show:

http://magictelevision.org/archives/1996......eld.html

If you wanna go straight to the story about the finger, the go to find (Ctrl+F) and type finger and keep looking for the story.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-04-22 10:36, Starrpower wrote:

Well for impromptu stuff... he does a lot of it when he does stuff for random people. I'm talking about close up. When he's at conventions or places like the Magic Castle or at Project Magic HQ.

As for his illusions.... no, there is not much impromptu but then again... you can't have much impromptu with large stage illusions. But he does have backup plans for everything. I remember reading an interview with him once where he said something to the effect of his having a Plan B, C, and D for every illusion he does in case something goes wrong. Now there's preparation.

Thanks Nick

I went back and read it, and was pleased to find out that I had the details down almost perfectly after almost eight years!!

Maybe my memory is better than I give it credit for.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I've seen some screw ups in the Copperfield show throughout the years, and have to say that if I was watching the tricks for the first time, I probably would never have been able to tell the difference. Offhand, the one that stands out most is in "Voyeur." I've seen it 4 or 5 times, and seen it screwed up at least twice.

When compared with our shows, however, that is such a small percentage! More than being meticulous with detail or thinking out everything in advance, nothing beats being able to perform the same show 500 times a year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » NEWSFLASH: Copperfield Might Have Real Magical Powers (LOL) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL