The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Note for Beginners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
631 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Enjoy your magical journey. Have fun. Practise should be fun and rewarding. The final product is worth the effort. Good luck.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
And don't just practise - rehearse too!
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
Quote:
On 2004-05-31 12:53, MarkFarrar wrote:
And don't just practise - rehearse too!

To this I will add perform!

Remember, you aren't doing magic until you have an audience! Smile
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
Well said all. Performance is especially important, even if just for small groups. It allows you to iron out angles and improve patter and presentation. The ancillary benefit is that the more you do it, the more controllable pre-show jitters will become.
TheHungryMagician
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TheHungryMagician
Find a "dummy" to practice on. Better feedback than a mirror Smile . All great advice!
Forever starving,
Smile Hungry Smile
TheChris
View Profile
New user
Iowa City, IA
10 Posts

Profile of TheChris
And if it's an opening trick that is some what easier for your audience to figure out then resist the urge to do it again no matter how much they beg. Smile *coughsankeywarmupcough*
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
I will add Never reveal a secret! I need to do that more often, but I only tell my parents how it is done.
Blake S.
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
193 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
I get confused by an apparent contradiction. I am sure it's just my status as a beginner that creates the appearance, but I still can't see my way past it.

I have been told that it is important to practice and rehearse before I perform. I have also been told that it is important to perform, not just practice and rehearse. How does a beginner like myself gauge when it is time to venture into performing?

There are those who are adamant that magicians who perform before they are ready are damaging the magic's already-shaky reputation. I can relate to that.

There are those who speak less than respectfully of magicians who never get around to performing. I also appreciate the point there.

My question is, how does one attain balance? What signs does one look for that signal an ability to perform without being an embarrassment to magic?
Links to help Canadian magicians
http://magicinfo.ca/

Follow me on twitter
@magicinfo_ca
TerryLam
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TerryLam
Try to find a friend that is interested in magic and make sure he will not reveal any secret to others. Make him as a dummy audience. Don't explain the secret to him, just ask him to catch you in case you do not perfrom well. Keep on practise and try a real audience later on.
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
Practice, practice and more practice. Try to have a fellow magician watch you as you rehearse your routines and they will be able to pick out any weak points. If you do not have magician friends, then a close friend. Peform for people whenever you get the opportunity, this will give you the experience you need and the necessary confidence.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
When you feel comfortable to a point where you feel you can do an effect then find someone and do it. If it fails or you are caught then next time your level of comfort will be higher and you will be better before performing an effect.
This way you and only you will know when you are ready to perform something.
Good luck and remember that it doesn't take ages to get something ready to perform. Your best practise is in front of a live audience because the first few times the nerves will make you shake and you may mess up something you can do perfectly in your own room. The only way to get that right is in front of real people. Perform Perform perform after you practise practise practise.
If you only want to Practise become a doctor or a lawyer.
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Thanks for the advice. I found this forum to be helpful during the course of my learning Smile
The impossible things are often the untried.

Magic is not what you see.
It's about what you make others see.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Another great way to practice and rehearse is to do it in front of the unerring eye of a video camera. I should point out it is also unforgiving. Unlike a mirror it won't allow you to admire your hair just as you perform a less than stellar sleight.

And unlike your friend, it won't tell you what you want to hear in an effort not to gum up the friendship.

Another magician would be ideal acting as a critic and director, but it is often easier to obtain a video camera than a magician who will give honest feedback.

Wear two "hats" performer and critic/director. Do your practice on tape and then watch with a critical eye. Is there flash, a goofed up sleight? Is the trick being performed so you can see it or so your audience can see it. (an often made mistake).

If you have the chance to perform for some family and/or friends do that occasionally on video as well and don't just look at your magic but their reactions, body posture etc. Are they interested, entertained, polite or annoyed? These are all immportant in getting your magic to a professional point.

Good luck.

Frank
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
erniep33
View Profile
New user
Marysville, WA
72 Posts

Profile of erniep33
Find someone who can be very upfront and brutal. I do my effects for my girlfriend. If I botch something up, she will tell me to go practice and won't pull any punches.

Also, as Jordan B said, enjoy your magical journey. Every time I get a new book or DVD its like christmas. Opening it up and learning new secrets for the first time.
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
My first performance was for a group of five-year-olds at a day care center. I did a simple coin routine. When they asked, "How'd you do that?" I answered, "It's magic!

I knew I had something when the teacher approached me afterwards and asked, "So, how did you do that?" Smile
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Any advice on finding an area where five-year old people usually hang out? Smile j/k
The impossible things are often the untried.

Magic is not what you see.
It's about what you make others see.
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
Practice in front of a mirror, after that try using webcam, so you can see your whole performance style without having to watch your hand like if you practice in front of a mirror.

Also, don't be afraid of failure...the only thing you get out of someone saying "I saw that!" is knowledge. At least, now you know what works and what don't work. You know 1 step better of how you should perform next time. Just keep doing your magic and enjoy it!
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
The trouble by practicing with a mirror only is that you don't really perform. Example with some coin passes, where your expression and your "acting" is as important as your sleight-of-hand.

Only a video camera (or an EXTREMELY patient wife:bg: or friend) can tell you whether your performance was good or not.

Mathias
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
Yeah!!That's very true, Mathias!!We need to use a camera to see our whole performance...

Use a webcam if you don't have a wife..Smile
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2004-06-09 01:51, tyrael07 wrote:
Any advice on finding an area where five-year old people usually hang out? Smile j/k

5 Year olds are people??? No ways.
Try the local disco. The average club scene age is getting so young I feel like an old man going there LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Note for Beginners (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL